Vista-W2000 Networking?

CWLee

Vista-W2000 Networking?

Background:
I have two computers; one is a new HP with Vista Ultimate;
the other is an old Gateway with Windows 2000/Pro. Vista
computer connected via dial-up to the Internet. Ethernet
crossover cable connects the two computers. I have enabled
the Vista computer to view the C and D drives of the W2000
computer. That process sometimes asks me for a username and
password; other times it provides a username and when I
leave the password space blank, and click, it connects to
the W2000.

Problem:
I have taken the same steps to enable the W2000 computer to
view the C and D drives of the Vista computer, but it always
asks for a username and password. I have used all
combinations of usernames and passwords I have ever used
with either computer, but I have not found the magic
combination.

Question:
Is there a "network password" that I can locate or create
that works for both computers? How can I get around the
current username/password problem on the W2000 computer?

Thanks.

--
----------
CWLee

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista-W2000 Networking?
I liked 2000 Pro! It was a good, solid system.

You have 2 choices.

1. Setup identical usernames and passwords on BOTH computers.

2. Go into vista's Network and Sharing Centre, and set Passowrd Protected
setting to OFF.
That will stop vista asking you for a password when you try and access it
from the 2000 comp.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP/2000 computer.

..
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"CWLee" wrote:

> Background:
> I have two computers; one is a new HP with Vista Ultimate;
> the other is an old Gateway with Windows 2000/Pro. Vista
> computer connected via dial-up to the Internet. Ethernet
> crossover cable connects the two computers. I have enabled
> the Vista computer to view the C and D drives of the W2000
> computer. That process sometimes asks me for a username and
> password; other times it provides a username and when I
> leave the password space blank, and click, it connects to
> the W2000.
>
> Problem:
> I have taken the same steps to enable the W2000 computer to
> view the C and D drives of the Vista computer, but it always
> asks for a username and password. I have used all
> combinations of usernames and passwords I have ever used
> with either computer, but I have not found the magic
> combination.
>
> Question:
> Is there a "network password" that I can locate or create
> that works for both computers? How can I get around the
> current username/password problem on the W2000 computer?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> ----------
> CWLee
> Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
> cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and
> promote for performance, not preferences.

CWLee

Re: Vista-W2000 Networking?

"Mick Murphy" <MickMurphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I liked 2000 Pro! It was a good, solid system.

Still is, and I've only upgraded to Vista because of some
disk space problems unrelated to W2000.

> You have 2 choices.

I went with #2, since I'm the only person who uses these
computers, and that seems to have solved the problem.

Many thanks.

========================

> [...]
>> view the C and D drives of the Vista computer, but it
>> always
>> asks for a username and password. I have used all
>> combinations of usernames and passwords I have ever used
>> with either computer, but I have not found the magic
>> combination.
>>
>> Question:
>> Is there a "network password" that I can locate or create
>> that works for both computers? How can I get around the
>> current username/password problem on the W2000 computer?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> CWLee
>> Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred
>> cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas,
>> and
>> promote for performance, not preferences.

Good one! Same as me.
I'm the only one to use my comps; why password them!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia