Can 'see' desktop, but can't connect to access files ?

doonboggle

Can 'see' desktop, but can't connect to access files ?

Have a desktop with Vista Home Premium with Linksys router as gateway to
my satelitte internet isp. Next have Compaq wireless laptop with XP
Pro.

Have done the sharing part on both computers, with no problem from
desktop seeing the laptop shared files, and accessing them

But with laptop, while can see the Desktop on opening viewing of
network computers, when I click on Desktop a window opens up asking for
User name and Password before gaining access to the shared files on the
desktop.

Only thing is, I never set up any passwords. All the computers are
home located; thus no need to.

What am I missing? I am by no means proficient in this counter os
setups. Can there be a conflict between Vista and XP in this aspect?

Thanks
Chuck

--
doonboggle
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can 'see' desktop, but can't connect to access files ?
We have seen many cases like this one. You must have password for Vista
sharing. This search result may give you more details.

Vista Password IssuesVista Security and Password Issues. Can't
enable/disable Vista Password Protected Sharing Vista can open but save -
access denied ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapassword.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"doonboggle" <doonboggle.34x0m4@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> Have a desktop with Vista Home Premium with Linksys router as gateway to
> my satelitte internet isp. Next have Compaq wireless laptop with XP
> Pro.
>
> Have done the sharing part on both computers, with no problem from
> desktop seeing the laptop shared files, and accessing them
>
> But with laptop, while can see the Desktop on opening viewing of
> network computers, when I click on Desktop a window opens up asking for
> User name and Password before gaining access to the shared files on the
> desktop.
>
> Only thing is, I never set up any passwords. All the computers are
> home located; thus no need to.
>
> What am I missing? I am by no means proficient in this counter os
> setups. Can there be a conflict between Vista and XP in this aspect?
>
> Thanks
> Chuck
>

> --
> doonboggle

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Can 'see' desktop, but can't connect to access files ?
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 01:51:30 -0600, doonboggle
<doonboggle.34x0m4@no-mx.forums.net> wrote:

>Have a desktop with Vista Home Premium with Linksys router as gateway to
>my satelitte internet isp. Next have Compaq wireless laptop with XP
>Pro.
>
>Have done the sharing part on both computers, with no problem from
>desktop seeing the laptop shared files, and accessing them
>
>But with laptop, while can see the Desktop on opening viewing of
>network computers, when I click on Desktop a window opens up asking for
>User name and Password before gaining access to the shared files on the
>desktop.
>
>Only thing is, I never set up any passwords. All the computers are
>home located; thus no need to.
>
>What am I missing? I am by no means proficient in this counter os
>setups. Can there be a conflict between Vista and XP in this aspect?
>
>Thanks
>Chuck

Hey Chuck,

If you're connecting computers running Vista and XP, and you haven't setup any
accounts or passwords, then make sure that Guest is setup for network use on
both computers.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Activate>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Activate

If you're going to use Guest (Password Protected Sharing disabled in Vista /
Simple File Sharing in XP), be aware of the limitations.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-xp.html#Guest

--
(Also) Chuck MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
Paranoia is not necessarily a bad thing - it's a normal response from experience.
Mick Murphy

RE: Can 'see' desktop, but can't connect to access files ?
If it is a home network; go into vista's Network and sharing centre, and turn
OFF password protected in there. That will stop the prompt.

I have written more about it further down here

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.