Remote Assistance from XP to Vista

urbanmicro

Remote Assistance from XP to Vista
What are the things that an expert running Vista needs to know to
successfully help a novice running XP via Remote Assistance?

I support friends and family via RA. In the XP to XP world I found that
using Live Messenger was generally reliable. I have now upgraded to Vista
Ultimate. I get a variety of failue scenarios trying to accept invitations
now. No successes.

Most commonly, I get one of the following:
1. I accept the invitation. The novice gets a notice in Messenger that I
have accepted, but nothing else happens on either computer.
2. I accept the invitation. The novice gets a notice and a dialog box to
grant sharing permission. I get an indication that I am viewing the novice
desktop, but my screen is black.
3. I accept, the novice gets a notice in Messenger and I get an indication
that an attempt is being made. Eventually times out saying novice must have
stepped away from computer.

I can deal with firewalls, registries, and more. I find lots of snippets
here and there that give me clues, but can't find my way to a definitive
approach.

Can someone point me to a KB article or something else that could answer
this simple question.... What are the things that an expert running Vista
needs to know to successfully help a novice running XP via Remote Assistance?

-=Rich=-
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Remote Assistance from XP to Vista
You may try to disable auto tuning on the Vista by using this command: netsh
interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled. If that doesn't fix the
problem, check the troubleshooting collections.

Troubleshooting Vista Remote Assistance Issues
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vis...assistance.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"urbanmicro" <urbanmicro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> What are the things that an expert running Vista needs to know to
> successfully help a novice running XP via Remote Assistance?
>
> I support friends and family via RA. In the XP to XP world I found that
> using Live Messenger was generally reliable. I have now upgraded to Vista
> Ultimate. I get a variety of failue scenarios trying to accept
> invitations
> now. No successes.
>
> Most commonly, I get one of the following:
> 1. I accept the invitation. The novice gets a notice in Messenger that I
> have accepted, but nothing else happens on either computer.
> 2. I accept the invitation. The novice gets a notice and a dialog box to
> grant sharing permission. I get an indication that I am viewing the
> novice
> desktop, but my screen is black.
> 3. I accept, the novice gets a notice in Messenger and I get an
> indication
> that an attempt is being made. Eventually times out saying novice must
> have
> stepped away from computer.
>
> I can deal with firewalls, registries, and more. I find lots of snippets
> here and there that give me clues, but can't find my way to a definitive
> approach.
>
> Can someone point me to a KB article or something else that could answer
> this simple question.... What are the things that an expert running Vista
> needs to know to successfully help a novice running XP via Remote
> Assistance?
>

> -=Rich=-

urbanmicro

Re: Remote Assistance from XP to Vista
This looks promising. However, when I try running the netsh command you
suggest I got an error:

"Set global command failed on IPv4 The requested operation requires
elevation."

I'm running as administrator, using the Run CMD, then the netsh you suggest.
Is there another way?

-=Rich=-

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You may try to disable auto tuning on the Vista by using this command: netsh
> interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled. If that doesn't fix the
> problem, check the troubleshooting collections.
>
> Troubleshooting Vista Remote Assistance Issues
> http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vis...assistance.htm
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "urbanmicro" <urbanmicro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > What are the things that an expert running Vista needs to know to
> > successfully help a novice running XP via Remote Assistance?
> >
> > I support friends and family via RA. In the XP to XP world I found that
> > using Live Messenger was generally reliable. I have now upgraded to Vista
> > Ultimate. I get a variety of failue scenarios trying to accept
> > invitations
> > now. No successes.
> >
> > Most commonly, I get one of the following:
> > 1. I accept the invitation. The novice gets a notice in Messenger that I
> > have accepted, but nothing else happens on either computer.
> > 2. I accept the invitation. The novice gets a notice and a dialog box to
> > grant sharing permission. I get an indication that I am viewing the
> > novice
> > desktop, but my screen is black.
> > 3. I accept, the novice gets a notice in Messenger and I get an
> > indication
> > that an attempt is being made. Eventually times out saying novice must
> > have
> > stepped away from computer.
> >
> > I can deal with firewalls, registries, and more. I find lots of snippets
> > here and there that give me clues, but can't find my way to a definitive
> > approach.
> >
> > Can someone point me to a KB article or something else that could answer
> > this simple question.... What are the things that an expert running Vista
> > needs to know to successfully help a novice running XP via Remote
> > Assistance?
> >

> > -=Rich=-

urbanmicro

Re: Remote Assistance from XP to Vista
Okay, got past the elevation step. Found that I had to run CMD as
Administrator.

That unfortunately did not solve the problem. But, I'm close, I think.

I have proven that I am establishing the RA session. I can do it 2 ways.
One via Messenger, one via file. I am able to accept an invitation via
Messenger; I am able to offer help with the RA incident file from the novice.

Once the session is estalished I can chat in the RA window, so I know the
computers are talking to each other. But all I see on my Vista machine is a
black screen that claims to be viewing the other computer. None of my mouse
actions have any impact on the novice machine.

I've seen mention of MTUs but haven't found where to change that. Is it
something that would have to change on both novice and expert computers?

-=Rich=-