Lost network connections with Vista

TRK

Lost network connections with Vista
Every time I reboot or shut down and restart my computer Vista loses the
network connection. Diagnose and repair reports back the IP and DNS needs to
be re-established. When I tell it to obtain the addresses it creates a
“second” network connection, which it then tells me I need to disable.
Disabling one disables both so the next step is re-enabling the card. After
re-enabling the card Vista refreshes the settings again, once more creating a
“second” network connection that needs to be disabled, starting the cycle
over again.
After repeating this process several times a single network connection will
final be established and everything works great until I need to shut down or
reboot and the process starts all over.

Any ideas?

I’m running an HP system with an on-board nVida network controller connected
to a Linksys router.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Lost network connections with Vista
Assuming you have latest firmware for the router and driver for NIC, you may
try to disable IPv6. This how may help.

Vista IPCONFIG and Network SettingsHow to disable Auto-tuning on Windows
Vista How to disable TCP/IPv6 How to remove IPv6 and Tunnel completely on
Vista How to disable ICS public connection ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vistaipconfig.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"TRK" <TRK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time I reboot or shut down and restart my computer Vista loses the
> network connection. Diagnose and repair reports back the IP and DNS needs
> be re-established. When I tell it to obtain the addresses it creates a
> “second” network connection, which it then tells me I need to disable.
> Disabling one disables both so the next step is re-enabling the card.
> After
> re-enabling the card Vista refreshes the settings again, once more
> creating a
> “second” network connection that needs to be disabled, starting the cycle
> over again.
> After repeating this process several times a single network connection
> will
> final be established and everything works great until I need to shut down
> or
> reboot and the process starts all over.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> I’m running an HP system with an on-board nVida network controller
> connected
> to a Linksys router.

TRK

Re: Lost network connections with Vista
Thanks, that seems to work so far.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Assuming you have latest firmware for the router and driver for NIC, you may
> try to disable IPv6. This how may help.
>
> Vista IPCONFIG and Network SettingsHow to disable Auto-tuning on Windows
> Vista How to disable TCP/IPv6 How to remove IPv6 and Tunnel completely on
> Vista How to disable ICS public connection ...
> www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vistaipconfig.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "TRK" <TRK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Every time I reboot or shut down and restart my computer Vista loses the
> > network connection. Diagnose and repair reports back the IP and DNS needs
> > be re-established. When I tell it to obtain the addresses it creates a
> > “second” network connection, which it then tells me I need to disable.
> > Disabling one disables both so the next step is re-enabling the card.
> > After
> > re-enabling the card Vista refreshes the settings again, once more
> > creating a
> > “second” network connection that needs to be disabled, starting the cycle
> > over again.
> > After repeating this process several times a single network connection
> > will
> > final be established and everything works great until I need to shut down
> > or
> > reboot and the process starts all over.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > I’m running an HP system with an on-board nVida network controller
> > connected
> > to a Linksys router.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Lost network connections with Vista