Re: No Web access after installing Update KB944533

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: No Web access after installing Update KB944533
(cross-post added to Vista Networking)
"A.BORD" <A.BORD@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> I disactivated my Kaspersky Internet Security (its firewall is not active) for a second update installation.

Try a different tack? Does the Kaspersky product have any diagnostics
built into it? If so, *enable* its firewall and find out what it thinks about
IE's requests...

Alternatively, was that firewall ever active? If so, perhaps its disable command
is not sufficient to undo its interference. Try _removing_ the whole product?
(Make sure that the Windows firewall is active before connecting to the Internet.)

Another approach--better diagnostics but still fairly simple--would be to install
Fiddler2 and see what it thinks is happening to IE's requests. In that case
you would see the requests from IE being received by Fiddler. If they weren't
being accepted further down the path it would be a case of whatever is blocking
them would in fact be blocking Fiddler, not IE.

BTW another tool I have seen recommended but which I have not yet tried
is HTTPWatch...

http://www.httpwatch.com/download/
<quote>
This setup program installs the latest version of HttpWatch Basic Edition.
It is fully functional but only displays extended HTTP information
for a limited number of well known sites.
</quote>

I guess if you can't connect anywhere testing one its "well known sites"
might help. Otherwise be prepared to pay big bucks for its full features. ; )

The most transparent way of getting some useful diagnostics for this
that I know of is to capture with netcap (e.g. from XP Pro's Support Tools)
and then formatting its .cap files with Ethereal.

Note: I don't use Vista and don't know if any of these tools work on it
or if compatible equivalents exist.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Full opening post for new readers:

> After successfully installed the security update for IE7 for Windows Vista [KB944533], I receive the message that Internet
> Explorer cannot display the requested Web page when I try to go on Internet.
> Microsoft support Web page [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944533/en-us] refers this error message to the following article
> [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818/en-us].
> No solution found in this article to solve my problem...
> I use Windows Vista with the included Windows Firewall. After removing the update, I disactivated my Kaspersky Internet Security
> (its firewall is not active) for a second update installation. No change, I still get the message: Webpage cannot be displayed.
>
> Would you have any suggestion to fix that problem?
>
> Thks for your help,
> André

jimmy3d

Re: No Web access after installing Update KB944533

i too am having this same problem...am running vista home prem with
Kapersky Int. Suite installed but with it's firewall disabled. the
problem is only with IE7 as Firefox and email works fine. Am a little
hesitant to uninstall Kapersky as its a little dicey getting keys re-
recognized sometimes.

Re: No Web access after installing Update KB944533
I don't get it: Why are all of you* running Kaspersky Internet Security and
disabling (or at least attempting to disable) the Kaspersky Firewall in
favor of Windows Firewall? Why purchase, let alone install, a "security
suite" if you're not going to use its firewall?

Surely it's not a coincidence that all of you who are using Kaspersky
Internet Security in such a manner are having problems with IE after
installing KB944533 this week.

* cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ba479fedc49718
and
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9a7b549025897b
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

jimmy3d wrote:
> i too am having this same problem...am running vista home prem with
> Kapersky Int. Suite installed but with it's firewall disabled. the
> problem is only with IE7 as Firefox and email works fine. Am a little
> hesitant to uninstall Kapersky as its a little dicey getting keys re-
> recognized sometimes.

Leonard Grey

Re: No Web access after installing Update KB944533
I should know better than to stick my nose in here, but FWIW I have KIS
7 and have experienced no trouble with IE 7 or internet connectivity
after February's updates. I use all of KIS's modules except for the
Parental Control, which I don't need. Yet.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"jimmy3d" <jimingraham@comcast.net> wrote in message

> i too am having this same problem...am running vista home prem with
> Kapersky Int. Suite installed but with it's firewall disabled.

But was it ever enabled? And, to reask another of my questions,
does it have any diagnostics in it which would clarify what is happening
when it is enabled? If so, (to repeat) enabling it could prove helpful... ; o

Also, this suggests that perhaps Kaspersky was running when the install
was done (or after the boot needed to install the updated in-use modules)?
If that was the case and if that product did _anything_ to disrupt the install
you would have another explanation for your symptom. E.g. that could
prevent IE from working properly by breaking its configuration in the registry.
Diagnosing that without any knowledge of IE's internals would probably be
practically impossible. The best you could do then I suspect would be using
ProcMon to trace file and registry accesses for both good and bad cases
and then try comparing the two logs.

> the problem is only with IE7 as Firefox and email works fine.

Which proves you do have adequate connectivity but doesn't clarify
whether iexplore.exe is being blocked (assuming now that the install
was not corrupted in any manner by your security package.)

> Am a little
> hesitant to uninstall Kapersky as its a little dicey getting keys re-
> recognized sometimes.

So then try the other diagnostics I suggested. ; }

Another approach which may help if a blockage is active in nature
would be booting in safe mode with networking. E.g. then if the blockage
was being caused by misconfigured service, that program might be less likely
to be running.

If the blockage is being caused in some other manner, e.g. some kind of
deliberate modification to the new iexplore.exe module by your security apps
which prevents it from running properly--unless there is some builtin monitoring
which shows the reason for the failure of attempts to use the program over the
network, I don't know how you will be able to detect what is causing it.
This possibility would just be a hopefully more discoverable instance of the
"broken configuration" hypothesis. Again, running ProcMon and comparing
good and bad traces would be what I would try to provide sufficient clues.

Good luck

Robert
---

Robert Aldwinckle

"Leonard Grey" <Leonard@Grey.invalid> wrote in message
>I should know better than to stick my nose in here, but FWIW I have KIS
> 7 and have experienced no trouble with IE 7 or internet connectivity
> after February's updates. I use all of KIS's modules except for the
> Parental Control, which I don't need. Yet.

Leonard,

Can you answer my question about diagnostics in Kaspersky?

Also, do you allow it to run when you do the install step?

Finally, is your OS Vista too? <eg>

Robert
---

Leonard Grey

Re: No Web access after installing Update KB944533
I'm sorry but I wasn't paying attention and so didn't read your question
about diagnostics in Kaspersky.

When I install software, including updates from Microsoft, I "Pause
Protection" in KIS. This disables all components, including the
firewall. While KIS is 'paused' I rely on my NAT router to act as an
(incoming) firewall.

Obviously, I wouldn't do this unless I was confident about what I was
installing and that my system was clean to begin with. If I didn't have
the router I would disable File AntiVirus and Proactive Defense. Even
with the router, if I feel an installation is going to take more than a
few minutes I disconnect my computer from my cable modem - it's a
reminder in case I forget to re-enable KIS. My modem maintains its
connection to the internet even if its connection to my computer is
turned off.

And my OS is XP. Does that...<avoids eye contact>...matter?

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "Leonard Grey" <Leonard@Grey.invalid> wrote in message
>> I should know better than to stick my nose in here, but FWIW I have KIS
>> 7 and have experienced no trouble with IE 7 or internet connectivity
>> after February's updates. I use all of KIS's modules except for the
>> Parental Control, which I don't need. Yet.

> Leonard,
>
> Can you answer my question about diagnostics in Kaspersky?
>
> Also, do you allow it to run when you do the install step?
>
> Finally, is your OS Vista too? <eg>
>

> Robert
> ---

Re: No Web access after installing Update KB944533
Yes, but note that these folks are disabling the Kaspersky Firewall (or
think they're disabling it) and using the Windows Firewall instead, Leonard.
--
~PA Bear

Leonard Grey wrote:
> I should know better than to stick my nose in here, but FWIW I have KIS
> 7 and have experienced no trouble with IE 7 or internet connectivity
> after February's updates. I use all of KIS's modules except for the
> Parental Control, which I don't need. Yet.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> I don't get it: Why are all of you* running Kaspersky Internet Security
>> and disabling (or at least attempting to disable) the Kaspersky Firewall
>> in favor of Windows Firewall? Why purchase, let alone install, a
>> "security suite" if you're not going to use its firewall?
>>
>> Surely it's not a coincidence that all of you who are using Kaspersky
>> Internet Security in such a manner are having problems with IE after
>> installing KB944533 this week.
>>
>> * cf.
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ba479fedc49718
>> and
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...9a7b549025897b

Re: No Web access after installing Update KB944533
[Ooo, I didn't think of the possibility that they may have upgraded to Vista
with KIS installed, Robert. Nice catch!]

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "jimmy3d" <jimingraham@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>

>> i too am having this same problem...am running vista home prem with
>> Kapersky Int. Suite installed but with it's firewall disabled.

> But was it ever enabled? And, to reask another of my questions,
> does it have any diagnostics in it which would clarify what is happening
> when it is enabled? If so, (to repeat) enabling it could prove
> helpful...
> ; o
> Also, this suggests that perhaps Kaspersky was running when the install
> was done (or after the boot needed to install the updated in-use modules)?
> If that was the case and if that product did _anything_ to disrupt the
> install you would have another explanation for your symptom. E.g. that
> could prevent IE from working properly by breaking its configuration in
> the
> registry. Diagnosing that without any knowledge of IE's internals would
> probably be practically impossible. The best you could do then I suspect
> would be using ProcMon to trace file and registry accesses for both good
> and bad cases and then try comparing the two logs.
>

>> the problem is only with IE7 as Firefox and email works fine.

> Which proves you do have adequate connectivity but doesn't clarify
> whether iexplore.exe is being blocked (assuming now that the install
> was not corrupted in any manner by your security package.)
>

>> Am a little
>> hesitant to uninstall Kapersky as its a little dicey getting keys re-
>> recognized sometimes.

> So then try the other diagnostics I suggested. ; }
>
> Another approach which may help if a blockage is active in nature
> would be booting in safe mode with networking. E.g. then if the blockage
> was being caused by misconfigured service, that program might be less
> likely
> to be running.
>
> If the blockage is being caused in some other manner, e.g. some kind of
> deliberate modification to the new iexplore.exe module by your security
> apps which prevents it from running properly--unless there is some builtin
> monitoring which shows the reason for the failure of attempts to use the
> program over the network, I don't know how you will be able to detect what
> is causing it. This possibility would just be a hopefully more
> discoverable instance of the
> "broken configuration" hypothesis. Again, running ProcMon and
> comparing
> good and bad traces would be what I would try to provide sufficient clues.
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert
> ---

Kiloran

Re: No Web access after installing Update KB944533
I had exactly the same problem and decided that Kaspersky was the problem.
I uninstalled the programme, reinstalled KB944533 and was once again able to
access webpages.