Not able to see shared folders

fuzor_silverbolt

Re: Not able to see shared folders

are both machines on the same workgroup?

--
fuzor_silverbolt
JerryM

Re: Not able to see shared folders
Try drag and drop to the Public folder.

I had the same problem until I did just that.

Jerry

"shilps" <helpme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 Dell laptops and I have connected them through cross cable. Now
> both are able to see each other, but not able to access the shared folder.
> have tried changing the settings, but I am getting the same error that I
> do
> not have permissions to see the contents.
>
> The system whose IP address is 192.168.1.1 is Vista Home Premium and the
> other is Vista Home Basic . Both have McAfee installed. Do I need to
> disable it?
>
> Pls help.
>
> Thanks
> Shilpi

Brink

shilps;615136 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 Dell laptops and I have connected them through cross cable.
> Now
> both are able to see each other, but not able to access the shared
> folder. I
> have tried changing the settings, but I am getting the same error that
> I do
> not have permissions to see the contents.
>
> The system whose IP address is 192.168.1.1 is Vista Home Premium and
> the
> other is Vista Home Basic . Both have McAfee installed. Do I need to
> disable
> it?
>
> Pls help.
>
> Thanks
> Shilpi

Hi Shilpi,

This may be able to help you. Double check through the requirements to
see if you have everything setup correctly. It's just so easy to have
one setting to throw you off.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...ng-enable.html

Shawn

--
Brink

'*Vista Forums*'
*Please post feedback to help others.*
shilps

Not able to see shared folders
Hi,

I have 2 Dell laptops and I have connected them through cross cable. Now
both are able to see each other, but not able to access the shared folder. I
have tried changing the settings, but I am getting the same error that I do
not have permissions to see the contents.

The system whose IP address is 192.168.1.1 is Vista Home Premium and the
other is Vista Home Basic . Both have McAfee installed. Do I need to disable
it?

Pls help.

Thanks
Shilpi

shilps

Re: Not able to see shared folders

Linked to my problem, are 3 queries which might help in resolving this issue

1) Everytime I try to connect to the other laptop whose IP address is
192.168.1.1( is this the host or client machine?), with one with...1.2( this
one has the shared folder which I want to access) I always get a prompt(
though while sharing I had disabled password sharing) and the username and
the password is the one for Wi-Fi Router! Now this is a bit confusing, why
do I have to put the password for router when I am trying to access them
through a Lan cable?

2) Both have the same version of McAfee installed, yet in McAfee Security
Center>Manage Network, they show the other laptop status as unknown and ask
me to install the software there? Is this McAfee problem?

3) When I connect them both by the LAN cable, although the system with IP
192.168.1.1 shows connected to Internet, it keeps on saying I am not
connected to internet if I try to open any site in IE. This keeps on
happening even after removing the cable Till I change the IP settings for
LAN network to detect IP address automatically. I guess here its IP conflict
that is happening, but then why is this conflict on the other laptop?

"shilps" <helpme@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 Dell laptops and I have connected them through cross cable. Now
> both are able to see each other, but not able to access the shared folder.
> have tried changing the settings, but I am getting the same error that I
> do
> not have permissions to see the contents.
>
> The system whose IP address is 192.168.1.1 is Vista Home Premium and the
> other is Vista Home Basic . Both have McAfee installed. Do I need to
> disable it?
>
> Pls help.
>
> Thanks
> Shilpi

fuzor_silverbolt

Re: Not able to see shared folders

Right click on my computer
then click on properties

Click on Advanced system properties
click on the computer name tab.

There is where you will find the workgroup name

The workgroup setup is similar to xp so I think that having the same
workgroup name the same is important. I can't be sure that Dell always
uses the same workgroup name for every system they build. They used to
use MSHOME then they switched to workgroup a little bit ago.

--
fuzor_silverbolt
shilps

Re: Not able to see shared folders
How do I verify that? If they are not, then how do I make them in the same
workgp?

"fuzor_silverbolt" <fuzor_silverbolt.34w172@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in
message news:fuzor_silverbolt.34w172@no-mx.forums.net...

> are both machines on the same workgroup?
>

> --
> fuzor_silverbolt

Brink

shilps;615791 Wrote:
> How do I verify that? If they are not, then how do I make them in the
> same
> workgp?
>

> "fuzor_silverbolt" <fuzor_silverbolt.34w172@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote
> in
> message news:fuzor_silverbolt.34w172@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...> > >
> > >
> > > are both machines on the same workgroup?
> > >

> > > --
> > > fuzor_silverbolt > >

shilps,

You will just need to check in each computer on the network to make
sure the Workgroup name is the same. This will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/12...me-change.html

Shawn