Vista keeps losing network

Doug

Vista keeps losing network
Vista Ultimate notebook. XP Pro desktop. Both in same workgroup and
network. Both have Netbios over TCP enabled. Vista has Network discovery
ON, private network. XP has LLTD installed, both have it enabled. Vista can
ping XP's IP or "desktop". Cannot ping \\desktop. Works for a few weeks
then suddenly Vista can't see Desktop in network map, or network. Why? How
to fix? Will SP1 fix?
--
Doug
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista keeps losing network
You may want to disable IPV6. Please post back with the result.

Vista How toHow to disable TCP/IPv6 · How to Disconnect Vista VPN connection
· How to disable ICS public connection ... How to disable Vista firewall
using Group Policy ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Vista Ultimate notebook. XP Pro desktop. Both in same workgroup and
> network. Both have Netbios over TCP enabled. Vista has Network discovery
> ON, private network. XP has LLTD installed, both have it enabled. Vista
> can
> ping XP's IP or "desktop". Cannot ping \\desktop. Works for a few weeks
> then suddenly Vista can't see Desktop in network map, or network. Why?
> How
> to fix? Will SP1 fix?
> --
> Doug

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista keeps losing network

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

"Doug" wrote:

> Vista Ultimate notebook. XP Pro desktop. Both in same workgroup and
> network. Both have Netbios over TCP enabled. Vista has Network discovery
> ON, private network. XP has LLTD installed, both have it enabled. Vista can
> ping XP's IP or "desktop". Cannot ping \\desktop. Works for a few weeks
> then suddenly Vista can't see Desktop in network map, or network. Why? How
> to fix? Will SP1 fix?
> --
> Doug

Doug

RE: Vista keeps losing network
Thanks for both replies, but everything you both mention has already been
done. It appears to be Netbios that is lost. "desktop" is in the Hosts
file. I can ping desktop, but not \\desktop.

The crazy thing is that it all works for a while, then suddenly doesn't work.

I notice it, when it goes wrong, when I go to backup a databse to the
"Desktop" XP PC. It just can't find it.

I'll map a drive to the IPP address and see if that ever fails.
I just don't like mapping drives because the Vista notebook is used in lots
of different networks.
BTW the desktop is CAt 5 to the Router/modem, while the Vista is Wifi to the
same modem.

--
Doug

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
> Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
> adding a Vista computer to it.
>

> "Doug" wrote:
>
> > Vista Ultimate notebook. XP Pro desktop. Both in same workgroup and
> > network. Both have Netbios over TCP enabled. Vista has Network discovery
> > ON, private network. XP has LLTD installed, both have it enabled. Vista can
> > ping XP's IP or "desktop". Cannot ping \\desktop. Works for a few weeks
> > then suddenly Vista can't see Desktop in network map, or network. Why? How
> > to fix? Will SP1 fix?
> > --
> > Doug

robin_astro

RE: Vista keeps losing network
Hi Doug,

I am having the same problem. Did you find a fix?

Robin

"Doug" wrote:

> Vista Ultimate notebook. XP Pro desktop. Both in same workgroup and
> network. Both have Netbios over TCP enabled. Vista has Network discovery
> ON, private network. XP has LLTD installed, both have it enabled. Vista can
> ping XP's IP or "desktop". Cannot ping \\desktop. Works for a few weeks
> then suddenly Vista can't see Desktop in network map, or network. Why? How
> to fix? Will SP1 fix?
> --
> Doug

Doug

RE: Vista keeps losing network
No, no fix. It seems that Vista just "loses" Netbios whenever it feels like
it.
In my case, the desktop and notebook can both stay on, not switched off.
For some reason Vista sees the desktop via netbios for several days, then
suddenly can't see it.
I have mapped a drive using the IP address and it hasn't lost it yet. I
don't think it will because it isn't using netbios.
--
Doug

"robin_astro" wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> I am having the same problem. Did you find a fix?
>
> Robin
>
> "Doug" wrote:
>
> > Vista Ultimate notebook. XP Pro desktop. Both in same workgroup and
> > network. Both have Netbios over TCP enabled. Vista has Network discovery
> > ON, private network. XP has LLTD installed, both have it enabled. Vista can
> > ping XP's IP or "desktop". Cannot ping \\desktop. Works for a few weeks
> > then suddenly Vista can't see Desktop in network map, or network. Why? How
> > to fix? Will SP1 fix?
> > --
> > Doug

WhiteWica

Re: Vista keeps losing network
What a bunch of MS crap....no wonder you're a MSCE and all those useless
letters. My 14 yold kid knows more than you and you're boss....GET A LIFE!

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> You may want to disable IPV6. Please post back with the result.
>
> Vista How toHow to disable TCP/IPv6 · How to Disconnect Vista VPN connection
> · How to disable ICS public connection ... How to disable Vista firewall
> using Group Policy ...
> www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vista Ultimate notebook. XP Pro desktop. Both in same workgroup and
> > network. Both have Netbios over TCP enabled. Vista has Network discovery
> > ON, private network. XP has LLTD installed, both have it enabled. Vista
> > can
> > ping XP's IP or "desktop". Cannot ping \\desktop. Works for a few weeks
> > then suddenly Vista can't see Desktop in network map, or network. Why?
> > How
> > to fix? Will SP1 fix?
> > --
> > Doug

LPent

Re: Vista keeps losing network

Hi there,

I have the same issue. Network discovery keeps turning off. It's
extremely annoying.
I checked all settings over and over again, disabled networking all
together and re-initiated it from scratch...no solution.

--
LPent
robin_astro

Re: Vista keeps losing network
Well I have now installed SP1 and it seems to be behaving itself so far. - no
idea why though!

Robin

"LPent" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have the same issue. Network discovery keeps turning off. It's
> extremely annoying.
> I checked all settings over and over again, disabled networking all
> together and re-initiated it from scratch...no solution.
>

> --
> LPent

LPent

Re: Vista keeps losing network