vista/xp networking a printer

Mr. M

vista/xp networking a printer
My desktop pc runs windows xp and my laptop is running vista. I have not been
able to establish a network connection to my printer through my desktop, a
message about the spooler stopping appears each time I attempt to access the
printer from my laptop.

any thoughts?
Mick Murphy

RE: vista/xp networking a printer
With the printer, you have to go to the printers manufacturer's website, and
download a vista compatible Driver for it, to install in your laptop; even
though it is hooked up to XP!

If there is no vista compatible driver for your laptop; forget the Printer!
In that case, network the 2 computers, transfer what you want to print to
XP; print it from XP!

Always more than 1 way!

In vista, you can go into Network and sharing>Add Netwotk Device, and browse
until you find XP's printer; then add it
Or vista's control Panel and add a printer.

You have to install the driver to vista to add XP's Printer.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Here is a quick rundown of Networking the 2 systems.

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.