Networking 2 computers

Rabs

Networking 2 computers
I have a HP Pavilion desktop 6260a and a HP laptop dv6000 both operating
Vista Ultimate. I have managed to get the two computers to see each other
and to allow file sharing through a public folder (disabling the Norton
firewall to allow me to do this). The trouble is that whenever I enable the
firewall, I lose connection to the networked computers. Can you please
advise how I might get around this.

Also...is there any way that I can have windows mail and windows calendar
synced so that I can see the same email and the same calendar (for
appointments) using either computer.

thanks
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Networking 2 computers
Enabling the Windows firewall and and the enable file sharing. Can you ping
each other?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Rabs" <Rabs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP Pavilion desktop 6260a and a HP laptop dv6000 both operating
> Vista Ultimate. I have managed to get the two computers to see each other
> and to allow file sharing through a public folder (disabling the Norton
> firewall to allow me to do this). The trouble is that whenever I enable
> the
> firewall, I lose connection to the networked computers. Can you please
> advise how I might get around this.
>
> Also...is there any way that I can have windows mail and windows calendar
> synced so that I can see the same email and the same calendar (for
> appointments) using either computer.
>
> thanks

Rabs

RE: Networking 2 computers
have now been able to get them to stay "connected" through allowing the
computers as trusted source through the norton security.

"Rabs" wrote:

> I have a HP Pavilion desktop 6260a and a HP laptop dv6000 both operating
> Vista Ultimate. I have managed to get the two computers to see each other
> and to allow file sharing through a public folder (disabling the Norton
> firewall to allow me to do this). The trouble is that whenever I enable the
> firewall, I lose connection to the networked computers. Can you please
> advise how I might get around this.
>
> Also...is there any way that I can have windows mail and windows calendar
> synced so that I can see the same email and the same calendar (for
> appointments) using either computer.
>
> thanks

RalfG

Re: Networking 2 computers
In the Norton firewall you have to put the LAN IP range into Norton's local
or safe zone. Apart from the LAN's address range you might also have to add
the computers individual IPs, 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1 into the local zone.
There might also be a setting in Norton to allow or block the file and
printer sharing ports that you should look for. Check that UPNP and svchost
are not blocked for LAN access.

I found that Norton's firewall (2004 version) always eventually blocked my
wireless connection to the router so I just gave up on that firewall. With
Vista you can probably do without a 3rd party firewall anyway and use the
built in one.