File Sharing between Vista and Mac

Leon

File Sharing between Vista and Mac
Hello,

I need help with sharing some of my files and folders between my Vista
Laptop and my Wifes Apple notebook. Previously I could share between my XP
and the Apple but now that I've upgraded to Vista I can't seem to share my
files.

Vista says that I have the folders shared and the Apple can see the folders
but can not see any of the sub-directories or files.

Can any one help?
--

Cheers
Leon
Malke

Re: File Sharing between Vista and Mac
Leon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need help with sharing some of my files and folders between my Vista
> Laptop and my Wifes Apple notebook. Previously I could share between my XP
> and the Apple but now that I've upgraded to Vista I can't seem to share my
> files.
>
> Vista says that I have the folders shared and the Apple can see the
> folders but can not see any of the sub-directories or files.

Easy. This assumes that you've set up Windows Sharing in the Mac already.
Don't forget to create matching user accounts and passwords on both
machines. You do not need to be logged into the same account on all
machines and the passwords assigned to each user account can be different;
the accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
account on the Vista laptop) for convenience, you can do this. The
instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Follow this scenario for setting up your Vista sharing:

Then there is just a bit more work to do on Vista to get it to work with OS
X:

To enable Windows Vista to connect to Mac OS X with Windows File Sharing
enabled, you will need to change the following policy in Windows Vista:

Start>Run>secpol.msc [enter]

Click on "Local Policies" --> "Security Options"

Navigate to the policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level"
and double-click it to get its Properties. By default Windows Vista sets
the policy to "NTVLM2 responses only". Use the drop-down arrow to change
this to "LM and NTLM ? use NTLMV2 session security if negotiated".

In Vista Home Premium, you won't have this tool so per Steve Winograd, do:

1. Run the registry editor and open this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

1. If it doesn't already exist, create a DWORD value named
LmCompatibilityLevel

3. Set the value to 1

4. Reboot

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
keyboard_babe

Re: File Sharing between Vista and Mac

I'm new to this forum. I still can't get my pc to connect with my mac. I
set the value to 1 (it was set to 3) rebooted, and still can't access my
mac by selecting "Map Network Drive". What am I doing wrong? I was able
to file share when I had XP.

Angie

--
keyboard_babe

keyboard_babe wrote:

> I'm new to this forum. I still can't get my pc to connect with my mac. I
> set the value to 1 (it was set to 3) rebooted, and still can't access my
> mac by selecting "Map Network Drive". What am I doing wrong? I was able
> to file share when I had XP.

What value to 1? Do you mean the NTVLM2 value? What about the rest of the
settings? I can't tell you what you're doing wrong because you haven't told
us what you're doing!

General directions for network sharing with Vista and Mac:

This assumes that you have correctly set up Windows Sharing in OS X. If you
have Leopard, make sure you are using the SMB protocol and not AFP. You
must create matching user accounts/passwords on both the Mac and Vista. You
do not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop in Vista (into one
particular user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The
instructions at this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

You also need to make sure you've correctly configured your firewalls on
both machines to allow the Local Area Network as trusted.