External (USB) drive no longer shared after reconnect

JohnDavid

External (USB) drive no longer shared after reconnect
Have successfully setup sharing through my router -- internal drives and
one USB external drive (Western Digital Passport). The network consists of 2
computers running Vista Home Premium and 1 running W2K-Pro; and a Linksys
wireless router.

After applying the required 'shares' and 'permissions' to the USB external
drive (which is connected to one of the Vista systems), I was able to see and
modify all files on the external; which is what I wanted. When done, I
disconnected the USB drive (using the "Safely Remove Hardware" utility),
since I routinely take that drive to anothe site.

The next day I reconnected the USB external to the same Vista system as
before. But although the internal drives could still be seen across the
network, the USB drive could not. In fact, when I check Properties /
Sharing, it now shows as "Not Shared". For what it's worth, that drive
displays as the same drive letter as it did originally.

This may not be a Vista issue. It may be due to the drive being USB
connected. Just don't know. Haven't been able to find a reference to this
issue in the Microsoft Community groups or generally on the internet. Any
ideas?
Thanks much,
JohnDavid
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: External (USB) drive no longer shared after reconnect
I believe this is by design.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"JohnDavid" <JohnDavid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have successfully setup sharing through my router -- internal drives and
> one USB external drive (Western Digital Passport). The network consists
> of 2
> computers running Vista Home Premium and 1 running W2K-Pro; and a Linksys
> wireless router.
>
> After applying the required 'shares' and 'permissions' to the USB external
> drive (which is connected to one of the Vista systems), I was able to see
> and
> modify all files on the external; which is what I wanted. When done, I
> disconnected the USB drive (using the "Safely Remove Hardware" utility),
> since I routinely take that drive to anothe site.
>
> The next day I reconnected the USB external to the same Vista system as
> before. But although the internal drives could still be seen across the
> network, the USB drive could not. In fact, when I check Properties /
> Sharing, it now shows as "Not Shared". For what it's worth, that drive
> displays as the same drive letter as it did originally.
>
> This may not be a Vista issue. It may be due to the drive being USB
> connected. Just don't know. Haven't been able to find a reference to
> this
> issue in the Microsoft Community groups or generally on the internet. Any
> ideas?
> Thanks much,
> JohnDavid

Richard G. Harper

Re: External (USB) drive no longer shared after reconnect
This has been present in every version of Windows that supports external
drives and is not something that can be changed.

"JohnDavid" <JohnDavid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have successfully setup sharing through my router -- internal drives and
> one USB external drive (Western Digital Passport). The network consists
> of 2
> computers running Vista Home Premium and 1 running W2K-Pro; and a Linksys
> wireless router.
>
> After applying the required 'shares' and 'permissions' to the USB external
> drive (which is connected to one of the Vista systems), I was able to see
> and
> modify all files on the external; which is what I wanted. When done, I
> disconnected the USB drive (using the "Safely Remove Hardware" utility),
> since I routinely take that drive to anothe site.
>
> The next day I reconnected the USB external to the same Vista system as
> before. But although the internal drives could still be seen across the
> network, the USB drive could not. In fact, when I check Properties /
> Sharing, it now shows as "Not Shared". For what it's worth, that drive
> displays as the same drive letter as it did originally.
>
> This may not be a Vista issue. It may be due to the drive being USB
> connected. Just don't know. Haven't been able to find a reference to
> this
> issue in the Microsoft Community groups or generally on the internet. Any
> ideas?
> Thanks much,
> JohnDavid

JohnDavid

RE: External (USB) drive no longer shared after reconnect
My thanks to both responders for answering my question. Now I can stop
looking for a solution (that doesn't exist).
Respectfully,
JohnDavid

"JohnDavid" wrote:

> Have successfully setup sharing through my router -- internal drives and
> one USB external drive (Western Digital Passport). The network consists of 2
> computers running Vista Home Premium and 1 running W2K-Pro; and a Linksys
> wireless router.
>
> After applying the required 'shares' and 'permissions' to the USB external
> drive (which is connected to one of the Vista systems), I was able to see and
> modify all files on the external; which is what I wanted. When done, I
> disconnected the USB drive (using the "Safely Remove Hardware" utility),
> since I routinely take that drive to anothe site.
>
> The next day I reconnected the USB external to the same Vista system as
> before. But although the internal drives could still be seen across the
> network, the USB drive could not. In fact, when I check Properties /
> Sharing, it now shows as "Not Shared". For what it's worth, that drive
> displays as the same drive letter as it did originally.
>
> This may not be a Vista issue. It may be due to the drive being USB
> connected. Just don't know. Haven't been able to find a reference to this
> issue in the Microsoft Community groups or generally on the internet. Any
> ideas?
> Thanks much,
> JohnDavid

malexs

Richard G. Harper;613835 Wrote:
> This has been present in every version of Windows that supports external
> drives and is not something that can be changed.

Actually, while that is kindof true, it does not mean there is no
solution to the problem....

I once had the same problem about a year ago and after a lifetime of
searching i found a way... Then recently i needed the same solution but
forgot it.. And in the process of searching for my previous post i came
across this post and was compelled to sign up and post a solution for
you.

It actually is possible for windows to remember shares and permissions
on external USB Drives, and this is how you do it:

1. Basically you create a folder on your local hard drive somewhere,
eg. "c:\external_HDD1"
2. Then Right click my computer and select manage
3. Select disk management (under storage)
4. Right click your external drive and select "change drive letter and
paths"
5. Click ADD
6. Browse to your folder your created in step one . i.e.
c:\external_HDD1
7. click ok and you are done.

Then whenever you insert your external drive or usb drive into your pc,
you will always be able to access it in the same place,
c:\external_HDD1, regardless of what drive letter windows decides to
assign to it.

Then, to have windows remember shares and permissions on the usb drive,
simply go to c:\external_HDD1\folder_to_share and set it to be shared
and whenever you plug the drive into the computer that folder will be
shared on the network.

--
malexs