File Sharing between XP and VISTA is really really slow

Stephan G.

File Sharing between XP and VISTA is really really slow
Hello.

With some help I got in this news group, I have been able to get file
sharing between my XP and Vista machine, although only by IP address.

On my VISTA machine I execute the following command:

net use z: \\192.168.1.40\share /u:user

This gives me network drive Z: on the Vista machine. (I still can't get
the connection to happen via network name, but that is a different story
in a different thread)

Now, from the VISTA machine, I try to copy large files using Windows
Explorer from the Z: drive (remote) to the C: drive (local) over my
wireless-G LAN. Network speeds in all other regards are fine, but these
file copies are SLOW SLOW SLOW. I am getting about 160KB/sec where I
would expect speeds at least 20 times higher than that.

For comparison, I am getting double that throughput to both the VISTA
and the XP machine on my broadband (satellite) internet connection.

Any clue from anyone about what is going on here?

I would be grateful for any insight.

-stephan
=?Utf-8?B?am9zZXBo?=

RE: File Sharing between XP and VISTA is really really slow
hi im having the problem on transfering my files from my old xp laptop to
my new computer
the thing is i do not see my laptop in the "workgroup" neither after i try
for hrs
can u plz explan of how u did it??
dat will be great if u can write a brief explanation abt it

"Stephan G." wrote:

> Hello.
>
> With some help I got in this news group, I have been able to get file
> sharing between my XP and Vista machine, although only by IP address.
>
> On my VISTA machine I execute the following command:
>
> net use z: \\192.168.1.40\share /u:user
>
> This gives me network drive Z: on the Vista machine. (I still can't get
> the connection to happen via network name, but that is a different story
> in a different thread)
>
> Now, from the VISTA machine, I try to copy large files using Windows
> Explorer from the Z: drive (remote) to the C: drive (local) over my
> wireless-G LAN. Network speeds in all other regards are fine, but these
> file copies are SLOW SLOW SLOW. I am getting about 160KB/sec where I
> would expect speeds at least 20 times higher than that.
>
> For comparison, I am getting double that throughput to both the VISTA
> and the XP machine on my broadband (satellite) internet connection.
>
> Any clue from anyone about what is going on here?
>
> I would be grateful for any insight.
>
> -stephan

Stephan G.

Re: File Sharing between XP and VISTA is really really slow
Joseph, there are MANY threads in this workgroup around this issue. I
myself faced the problem you describe.

I am not expert, but believe there is a problem (in my case) with
conflicting domain name resolution schemes on the local network. I am
able to see all computers in the "View Workgroup" screens, but cannot
connect to them by name. The only way I have been able to make a file
sharing connection is by IP address, see the "net use" command in my
original posting.

So my NEXT problem is speed. Sigh. And so far no one seems to have
anything useful to suggest to me.

-s

joseph wrote:

> hi im having the problem on transfering my files from my old xp laptop to
> my new computer
> the thing is i do not see my laptop in the "workgroup" neither after i try
> for hrs
> can u plz explan of how u did it??
> dat will be great if u can write a brief explanation abt it
>
> "Stephan G." wrote:
>

>>Hello.
>>
>>With some help I got in this news group, I have been able to get file
>>sharing between my XP and Vista machine, although only by IP address.
>>
>>On my VISTA machine I execute the following command:
>>
>> net use z: \\192.168.1.40\share /u:user
>>
>>This gives me network drive Z: on the Vista machine. (I still can't get
>>the connection to happen via network name, but that is a different story
>>in a different thread)
>>
>>Now, from the VISTA machine, I try to copy large files using Windows
>>Explorer from the Z: drive (remote) to the C: drive (local) over my
>>wireless-G LAN. Network speeds in all other regards are fine, but these
>>file copies are SLOW SLOW SLOW. I am getting about 160KB/sec where I
>>would expect speeds at least 20 times higher than that.
>>
>>For comparison, I am getting double that throughput to both the VISTA
>>and the XP machine on my broadband (satellite) internet connection.
>>
>>Any clue from anyone about what is going on here?
>>
>>I would be grateful for any insight.
>>
>> -stephan

jeolmeun

Re: File Sharing between XP and VISTA is really really slow
I turned off or disabled Offline Files and I was able to move and
rename file sharing files normally. I found this from another
newsgroup post. I think they said some OEMs turn this on or enable it
while an installation of Vista OEM would have Offline Files disabled.

On Mar 7, 9:33 pm, "Stephan G."
<step...@nospam.com.goluxstudio.invalid> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> With some help I got in this news group, I have been able to getfilesharingbetween my XP andVistamachine, although only by IP address.
>
> On myVISTAmachine I execute the following command:
>
> net use z: \\192.168.1.40\share /u:user
>
> This gives me network drive Z: on theVistamachine. (I still can't get
> the connection to happen via network name, but that is a different story
> in a different thread)
>
> Now, from theVISTAmachine, I try to copy large files using Windows
> Explorer from the Z: drive (remote) to the C: drive (local) over my
> wireless-G LAN. Network speeds in all other regards are fine, but thesefilecopies areSLOWSLOWSLOW. I am getting about 160KB/sec where I
> would expect speeds at least 20 times higher than that.
>
> For comparison, I am getting double that throughput to both theVISTA
> and the XP machine on my broadband (satellite) internet connection.
>
> Any clue from anyone about what is going on here?
>
> I would be grateful for any insight.
>
> -stephan

Alfred Kaufmann

On 18 Mar 2007 20:27:29 -0700, "jeolmeun" <jeolmeun@gmail.com> wrote:

>I turned off or disabled Offline Files and I was able to move and
>rename file sharing files normally. I found this from another
>newsgroup post. I think they said some OEMs turn this on or enable it
>while an installation of Vista OEM would have Offline Files disabled.

Just where does pone find this option to turn off or disable offline
files in Vista? Yes, I have looked at the help files and found
nothing there.

Al
=?Utf-8?B?SXJpc2hXcmFpdGg=?=

Re: File Sharing between XP and VISTA is really really slow
I have this too

check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931770

i need this fix, this is terrible

"jeolmeun" wrote:

> I turned off or disabled Offline Files and I was able to move and
> rename file sharing files normally. I found this from another
> newsgroup post. I think they said some OEMs turn this on or enable it
> while an installation of Vista OEM would have Offline Files disabled.
>

> On Mar 7, 9:33 pm, "Stephan G."
> <step...@nospam.com.goluxstudio.invalid> wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > With some help I got in this news group, I have been able to getfilesharingbetween my XP andVistamachine, although only by IP address.
> >
> > On myVISTAmachine I execute the following command:
> >
> > net use z: \\192.168.1.40\share /u:user
> >
> > This gives me network drive Z: on theVistamachine. (I still can't get
> > the connection to happen via network name, but that is a different story
> > in a different thread)
> >
> > Now, from theVISTAmachine, I try to copy large files using Windows
> > Explorer from the Z: drive (remote) to the C: drive (local) over my
> > wireless-G LAN. Network speeds in all other regards are fine, but thesefilecopies areSLOWSLOWSLOW. I am getting about 160KB/sec where I
> > would expect speeds at least 20 times higher than that.
> >
> > For comparison, I am getting double that throughput to both theVISTA
> > and the XP machine on my broadband (satellite) internet connection.
> >
> > Any clue from anyone about what is going on here?
> >
> > I would be grateful for any insight.
> >
> > -stephan

Joe Guidera

Re: File Sharing between XP and VISTA is really really slow
Contact Microsoft Support Services. Hotfix will be provided free of charge.

"IrishWraith" <IrishWraith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have this too
>
> check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931770
>
> i need this fix, this is terrible
>
> "jeolmeun" wrote:
>
>> I turned off or disabled Offline Files and I was able to move and
>> rename file sharing files normally. I found this from another
>> newsgroup post. I think they said some OEMs turn this on or enable it
>> while an installation of Vista OEM would have Offline Files disabled.
>>

>> On Mar 7, 9:33 pm, "Stephan G."
>> <step...@nospam.com.goluxstudio.invalid> wrote:
>> > Hello.
>> >
>> > With some help I got in this news group, I have been able to
>> > getfilesharingbetween my XP andVistamachine, although only by IP
>> > address.
>> >
>> > On myVISTAmachine I execute the following command:
>> >
>> > net use z: \\192.168.1.40\share /u:user
>> >
>> > This gives me network drive Z: on theVistamachine. (I still can't get
>> > the connection to happen via network name, but that is a different
>> > story
>> > in a different thread)
>> >
>> > Now, from theVISTAmachine, I try to copy large files using Windows
>> > Explorer from the Z: drive (remote) to the C: drive (local) over my
>> > wireless-G LAN. Network speeds in all other regards are fine, but
>> > thesefilecopies areSLOWSLOWSLOW. I am getting about 160KB/sec where I
>> > would expect speeds at least 20 times higher than that.
>> >
>> > For comparison, I am getting double that throughput to both theVISTA
>> > and the XP machine on my broadband (satellite) internet connection.
>> >
>> > Any clue from anyone about what is going on here?
>> >
>> > I would be grateful for any insight.
>> >
>> > -stephan

=?Utf-8?B?SXJpc2hXcmFpdGg=?=

Re: File Sharing between XP and VISTA is really really slow
i got the hotfix but it didnt make copying over the network any faster

"Joe Guidera" wrote:

> Contact Microsoft Support Services. Hotfix will be provided free of charge.

> "IrishWraith" <IrishWraith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have this too
> >
> > check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931770
> >
> > i need this fix, this is terrible
> >
> > "jeolmeun" wrote:
> >
> >> I turned off or disabled Offline Files and I was able to move and
> >> rename file sharing files normally. I found this from another
> >> newsgroup post. I think they said some OEMs turn this on or enable it
> >> while an installation of Vista OEM would have Offline Files disabled.

Joe Guidera

Re: File Sharing between XP and VISTA is really really slow
Yeah, I've seen several folks that indicated the particular hotfix didn't
resolve their issue. Wish I had a better answer for you.

>i got the hotfix but it didnt make copying over the network any faster
>
> "Joe Guidera" wrote:
>
>> Contact Microsoft Support Services. Hotfix will be provided free of
>> charge.

>> "IrishWraith" <IrishWraith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have this too
>> >
>> > check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/931770
>> >
>> > i need this fix, this is terrible

ggg

"Joe Guidera" wrote:

> Yeah, I've seen several folks that indicated the particular hotfix didn't
> resolve their issue. Wish I had a better answer for you.

> "IrishWraith" <IrishWraith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i got the hotfix but it didnt make copying over the network any faster
> >
> > "Joe Guidera" wrote:
> >
> >> Contact Microsoft Support Services. Hotfix will be provided free of
> >> charge.

> >> "IrishWraith" <IrishWraith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

The hotfix didn't do anything!!

Microsoft - your losing customers by the minute! I can't believe they
didn't test this - mind boggling