xp backward compatibility

AZ Stan

xp backward compatibility
I recently purchased a new, loaded, Dell XPS laptop with Windows Vista
Ultimate. As a systems developer and consultant, I frequently set my laptop
up on a customer's network, expecting to browse those networks, and map
network shares. With Windows Vista, I appears this utility has been taken
away.

I recently downloaded and installed Vista SP-1, and the problem (deficiency)
persists.

The only solutions I have found reccomend I should install LLTD on every XP
machine with which I wish to establish network connections. This is
impracticable because the general maintenance of those machines is not within
the scope of my work (nor always my control).

If Microsoft chooses to view this as a problem with XP, then perhaps they
should push the LLTD protocol to existing XP machines via automatic updates.

I view is as a fundamental deficiency with Vista, because it prevents me
from doing things I need to do every day, to make my living.

Please let me know if there are workarounds. I fear that I will have to
revert to Windows XP.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...orking_sharing
Mick Murphy

RE: xp backward compatibility
You have missed the point!

Even with XP, you could not just join anybody's Netwok, as you saw fit!
There was, and still is, Workgroup names, and File and Printer Sharing
Permissions in XP.

I would be very disappointed if you got access to EVERYBODY'S network, lol.

"AZ Stan" wrote:

> I recently purchased a new, loaded, Dell XPS laptop with Windows Vista
> Ultimate. As a systems developer and consultant, I frequently set my laptop
> up on a customer's network, expecting to browse those networks, and map
> network shares. With Windows Vista, I appears this utility has been taken
> away.
>
> I recently downloaded and installed Vista SP-1, and the problem (deficiency)
> persists.
>
> The only solutions I have found reccomend I should install LLTD on every XP
> machine with which I wish to establish network connections. This is
> impracticable because the general maintenance of those machines is not within
> the scope of my work (nor always my control).
>
> If Microsoft chooses to view this as a problem with XP, then perhaps they
> should push the LLTD protocol to existing XP machines via automatic updates.
>
> I view is as a fundamental deficiency with Vista, because it prevents me
> from doing things I need to do every day, to make my living.
>
> Please let me know if there are workarounds. I fear that I will have to
> revert to Windows XP.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...orking_sharing

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: xp backward compatibility
Hi
May be you would like to explain exactly (in practical functional terms)
what is it that you can do with XP and can not do with Vista.
LLTD is a cute thing but there is no problem to manually connect with or
without it from the Vista computer.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"AZ Stan" <AZStan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a new, loaded, Dell XPS laptop with Windows Vista
> Ultimate. As a systems developer and consultant, I frequently set my
> laptop
> up on a customer's network, expecting to browse those networks, and map
> network shares. With Windows Vista, I appears this utility has been taken
> away.
>
> I recently downloaded and installed Vista SP-1, and the problem
> (deficiency)
> persists.
>
> The only solutions I have found reccomend I should install LLTD on every
> XP
> machine with which I wish to establish network connections. This is
> impracticable because the general maintenance of those machines is not
> within
> the scope of my work (nor always my control).
>
> If Microsoft chooses to view this as a problem with XP, then perhaps they
> should push the LLTD protocol to existing XP machines via automatic
> updates.
>
> I view is as a fundamental deficiency with Vista, because it prevents me
> from doing things I need to do every day, to make my living.
>
> Please let me know if there are workarounds. I fear that I will have to
> revert to Windows XP.
>
> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com...orking_sharing

Malke

AZ Stan wrote:

> I recently purchased a new, loaded, Dell XPS laptop with Windows Vista
> Ultimate. As a systems developer and consultant, I frequently set my
> laptop
> up on a customer's network, expecting to browse those networks, and map
> network shares. With Windows Vista, I appears this utility has been taken
> away.
>
> I recently downloaded and installed Vista SP-1, and the problem
> (deficiency) persists.

(snippage)

You've got something set up wrong. I just finished installing Vista RTM and
then SP1 and set up networking with my Mac OS 10.5.2 and XP Pro SP2 in
approximately 5 minutes. This includes changing the security on Lanman
authentication, too. And 3 of those minutes were waiting for Vista to get
its act together to see the network shares. I've set up Vista in my own
network before and now and also for clients and I've never had to install
anything extra to get the machines to see computers running other operating
systems. If user accounts and firewalls are right, everything just works.

So you can complain or you can get it set up correctly. Have a tech help you
if you need that; there's no shame in doing this. As Mr. Murphy said, even
with XP you couldn't simply attach yourself to foreign networks - unless
all machines involved were running XP Home and that's very unlikely.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Mick Murphy

Re: xp backward compatibility
Hi Malke! My name is Mick, not Mr.!

I never stand on ceremony.

I enjoy reading some of your posts.

"Malke" wrote:

> AZ Stan wrote:
>
> > I recently purchased a new, loaded, Dell XPS laptop with Windows Vista
> > Ultimate. As a systems developer and consultant, I frequently set my
> > laptop
> > up on a customer's network, expecting to browse those networks, and map
> > network shares. With Windows Vista, I appears this utility has been taken
> > away.
> >
> > I recently downloaded and installed Vista SP-1, and the problem
> > (deficiency) persists.

> (snippage)
>
> You've got something set up wrong. I just finished installing Vista RTM and
> then SP1 and set up networking with my Mac OS 10.5.2 and XP Pro SP2 in
> approximately 5 minutes. This includes changing the security on Lanman
> authentication, too. And 3 of those minutes were waiting for Vista to get
> its act together to see the network shares. I've set up Vista in my own
> network before and now and also for clients and I've never had to install
> anything extra to get the machines to see computers running other operating
> systems. If user accounts and firewalls are right, everything just works.
>
> So you can complain or you can get it set up correctly. Have a tech help you
> if you need that; there's no shame in doing this. As Mr. Murphy said, even
> with XP you couldn't simply attach yourself to foreign networks - unless
> all machines involved were running XP Home and that's very unlikely.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> Don't Panic!

Malke

Mick Murphy wrote:

> Hi Malke! My name is Mick, not Mr.!
>
> I never stand on ceremony.
>
> I enjoy reading some of your posts.

Hi, Mick! Since you've invited me to call you "Mick", I will. I enjoy your
posts, too.

Best regards,

Malke