All computers not visible on home network

Charlie

All computers not visible on home network
I have 2 Vista machines and 1 XP media center machine which were all visible
to each other and between which files could be shared. Today I installed the
MS updates for the Vista machines and could not see other computers on one of
the Vista machines (Desktop Vista machine), nor could the other two machines
see the Desktop Vista machine. I system restored back to a day previous and
the same situation prevails. Strangely, the other Vista machine (Laptop
Vista) can see the XP machine, and the LT Vista was updated and remains so.
All machines are discoverable and all have shared folders.
Thanks.
--
Charlie
Chuck [MVP]

Re: All computers not visible on home network
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:11:00 -0800, Charlie <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have 2 Vista machines and 1 XP media center machine which were all visible
>to each other and between which files could be shared. Today I installed the
>MS updates for the Vista machines and could not see other computers on one of
>the Vista machines (Desktop Vista machine), nor could the other two machines
>see the Desktop Vista machine. I system restored back to a day previous and
>the same situation prevails. Strangely, the other Vista machine (Laptop
>Vista) can see the XP machine, and the LT Vista was updated and remains so.
>All machines are discoverable and all have shared folders.
>Thanks.

Charlie,

I'd look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server",
and "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the problem.
Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
(Download browstat, and run the command window in Vista as an admin!):

Then, I'd look at all personal firewalls and other security components. This
problem is generally a case of blocked SMBs.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Charlie

Re: All computers not visible on home network
Chuck:

OK, I'm working on this but am snagged on browstat. I downloaded it,
created a c:/utility folder and stuck the executable in there. Then I
changed my environmental variable like you directed. It didn't work, so I
chdir'd to c:/utility and tried to run it and still could not.
I'd like to provide output all at one time, i.e. ipconfig, netconfig and
browstat, so I'm going to hold off until I can figure out how to run
browstat...do you see what I may have done wrong?
Of course the overarching question for me is...what changed and what caused
a change on this computer only, not allowing it to be seen on the network?
Thanks a lot.

Charlie
--
Charlie

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 06:43:02 -0800, Charlie <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 09:11:00 -0800, Charlie <Charlie@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have 2 Vista machines and 1 XP media center machine which were all visible
>> >to each other and between which files could be shared. Today I installed the
>> >MS updates for the Vista machines and could not see other computers on one of
>> >the Vista machines (Desktop Vista machine), nor could the other two machines
>> >see the Desktop Vista machine. I system restored back to a day previous and
>> >the same situation prevails. Strangely, the other Vista machine (Laptop
>> >Vista) can see the XP machine, and the LT Vista was updated and remains so.
>> >All machines are discoverable and all have shared folders.
>> >Thanks.

>> Charlie,
>>
>> I'd look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server",
>> and "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose the problem.
>> Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely
>> (Download browstat, and run the command window in Vista as an admin!):
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>>
>> Then, I'd look at all personal firewalls and other security components. This
>> problem is generally a case of blocked SMBs.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

>Chuck:
>
>OK, I'm working on this but am snagged on browstat. I downloaded it,
>created a c:/utility folder and stuck the executable in there. Then I
>changed my environmental variable like you directed. It didn't work, so I
>chdir'd to c:/utility and tried to run it and still could not.
>I'd like to provide output all at one time, i.e. ipconfig, netconfig and
>browstat, so I'm going to hold off until I can figure out how to run
>browstat...do you see what I may have done wrong?
>Of course the overarching question for me is...what changed and what caused
>a change on this computer only, not allowing it to be seen on the network?
>Thanks a lot.

Charlie,

Yes, knowing what changed would be helpful. Barring that, knowing what's going
on right now is a good compromise. Logs from browstat can be very helpful in
this case. Did you open the command window as an administrator?

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Charlie

Re: All computers not visible on home network
Yes, I am the only user of the PC and there are no other accounts. And when
I encountered the error message, I went back to your instructions, and opened
the cmd window per the Vista process, although the end result is the same.

Thoughts?
--
Charlie