networking

Johnny G.

networking
I have network three computers together (Office, Family Room and a Laptop.
All the icons show in the network screen on all of the computers. My office
computer will let me into the family room computer but not into my laptop. My
laptop will let me into the family room but not into my office. My family
will not let me into the office or the laptop. Don't know much about
computers, what do I do? Office & Family Room are both running Windows XP and
my Laptop is running Vista.
--
Johnny G.
Mick Murphy

RE: networking

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

"Johnny G." wrote:

> I have network three computers together (Office, Family Room and a Laptop.
> All the icons show in the network screen on all of the computers. My office
> computer will let me into the family room computer but not into my laptop. My
> laptop will let me into the family room but not into my office. My family
> will not let me into the office or the laptop. Don't know much about
> computers, what do I do? Office & Family Room are both running Windows XP and
> my Laptop is running Vista.
> --
> Johnny G.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: networking
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:57:01 -0800, Johnny G.
<JohnnyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have network three computers together (Office, Family Room and a Laptop.
>All the icons show in the network screen on all of the computers. My office
>computer will let me into the family room computer but not into my laptop. My
>laptop will let me into the family room but not into my office. My family
>will not let me into the office or the laptop. Don't know much about
>computers, what do I do? Office & Family Room are both running Windows XP and
>my Laptop is running Vista.

Johnny,

Your symptom "will (not) let me into" isn't terribly detailed.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html

Knowing the exact text of the error messages would be very useful.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/01/look-at-complete-detail-in-error.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...-in-error.html

I'd start by looking at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net
config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, and diagnose
the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (Download browstat, and start the Vista command window as an admin!):

And look at other issues pertinent to Windows Vista.

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.