Sharing files on Network.

ADH

Sharing files on Network.
Have Vista Ultimate on 1 machine and XP Pro on the other. Was able to share
files from XP to Vista but not , after all the trying, the other way. About a
month ago I becan me unable to share either way. Can see each computer from
either one. Have been reading various comments from poeple like me who are in
the same boat . Have not had a clear indication on what to do.
It seems to me that if Microsoft wants to push Vista then they have to
catter to us relatively DUMB ones who are going to buy Vista. Most poeple
want to share their misic etc on their network and with the present layout
that is not going to happen. It is alright if you are an IT Tech or System
Administrator who has trained for this but the average person is not.
Maybe all you Brains could come up with a Wizard to help us Dumb poeple out.
Have had Vista from the beginning and have never had control of sharing .
--
ADH
Mick Murphy

RE: Sharing files on Network.

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

"ADH" wrote:

> Have Vista Ultimate on 1 machine and XP Pro on the other. Was able to share
> files from XP to Vista but not , after all the trying, the other way. About a
> month ago I becan me unable to share either way. Can see each computer from
> either one. Have been reading various comments from poeple like me who are in
> the same boat . Have not had a clear indication on what to do.
> It seems to me that if Microsoft wants to push Vista then they have to
> catter to us relatively DUMB ones who are going to buy Vista. Most poeple
> want to share their misic etc on their network and with the present layout
> that is not going to happen. It is alright if you are an IT Tech or System
> Administrator who has trained for this but the average person is not.
> Maybe all you Brains could come up with a Wizard to help us Dumb poeple out.
> Have had Vista from the beginning and have never had control of sharing .
> --
> ADH

ADH

RE: Sharing files on Network.
Am now able to access files from the Vista machine. When I try to open the XP
machine I get the following message:
Not Accessible: You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions.
Access Denied.
Workgroup is set for all computers. Network and Sharing is on. Network
Discovery is on. Network set to Private. File Sharing is on. Pasword
Proctection I have turned off. For the moment.
Can see and access files from Vista from Xp machine.
--
ADH

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Permissions/Share info is there as well.
>
> If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
> Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
> adding a Vista computer to it.
>

> "ADH" wrote:
>
> > Have Vista Ultimate on 1 machine and XP Pro on the other. Was able to share
> > files from XP to Vista but not , after all the trying, the other way. About a
> > month ago I becan me unable to share either way. Can see each computer from
> > either one. Have been reading various comments from poeple like me who are in
> > the same boat . Have not had a clear indication on what to do.
> > It seems to me that if Microsoft wants to push Vista then they have to
> > catter to us relatively DUMB ones who are going to buy Vista. Most poeple
> > want to share their misic etc on their network and with the present layout
> > that is not going to happen. It is alright if you are an IT Tech or System
> > Administrator who has trained for this but the average person is not.
> > Maybe all you Brains could come up with a Wizard to help us Dumb poeple out.
> > Have had Vista from the beginning and have never had control of sharing .
> > --
> > ADH

Mick Murphy

RE: Sharing files on Network.
My post said to run the XP Wizard for file sharing; that is the Set up a
Home Network Wizard.
And if you are using Norton, etc, check IT'S firewall for permissions to
share!

"ADH" wrote:

> Am now able to access files from the Vista machine. When I try to open the XP
> machine I get the following message:
> Not Accessible: You might not have permission to use this network resource.
> Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
> permissions.
> Access Denied.
> Workgroup is set for all computers. Network and Sharing is on. Network
> Discovery is on. Network set to Private. File Sharing is on. Pasword
> Proctection I have turned off. For the moment.
> Can see and access files from Vista from Xp machine.
> --
> ADH
>

> "Mick Murphy" wrote:
>
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb727037.aspx
> >
> > Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
> >
> > Permissions/Share info is there as well.
> >
> > If using Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro I.S., make sure file and printer
> > sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.
> >
> > 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> > the SAME.
> >
> > In Vista Network and Sharing:
> >
> > Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)
> >
> > Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)
> >
> > File Sharing: ON
> >
> > Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> > Docs)
> >
> > Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
> > passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> > asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> > from an XP computer.
> >
> > Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
> > Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
> > adding a Vista computer to it.
> >

> > "ADH" wrote:
> >
> > > Have Vista Ultimate on 1 machine and XP Pro on the other. Was able to share
> > > files from XP to Vista but not , after all the trying, the other way. About a
> > > month ago I becan me unable to share either way. Can see each computer from
> > > either one. Have been reading various comments from poeple like me who are in
> > > the same boat . Have not had a clear indication on what to do.
> > > It seems to me that if Microsoft wants to push Vista then they have to
> > > catter to us relatively DUMB ones who are going to buy Vista. Most poeple
> > > want to share their misic etc on their network and with the present layout
> > > that is not going to happen. It is alright if you are an IT Tech or System
> > > Administrator who has trained for this but the average person is not.
> > > Maybe all you Brains could come up with a Wizard to help us Dumb poeple out.
> > > Have had Vista from the beginning and have never had control of sharing .
> > > --
> > > ADH

ADH

RE: Sharing files on Network.
Have run the XP file sharing wizard and the fact that I can see the XP
machine tells me that the firewalls is not the problem. When I try to open