XP does not see Vista

OldManEd

XP does not see Vista
I get following error message when at XP and trying to see a shared folder
on Vista:

"\\HPdesktop not available. You might not have permission........"

"Logon failure: user account restrictions. Possible reasons are passwords
not allowed, logon hour restrictions or a policy restriction has been
enforced."

I do not use passwords and have not set any hour restrictions, therefore,
only thing remaining is policy restriction. Where do I find that? Search
didn't help.

Thanks,

Ed

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: XP does not see Vista
"I do not use passwords" could be the problem. Check this post for more
details.

Vista file sharing problem without ...Vista may not allow you access
remotely without a password. Assign the same password to the username and
try it assign. Please post back with the result. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...ad91e cbc2af8

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"OldManEd" <econgleton@snet.net> wrote in message
>I get following error message when at XP and trying to see a shared folder
>on Vista:
>

> "\\HPdesktop not available. You might not have permission........"
>
> "Logon failure: user account restrictions. Possible reasons are passwords
> not allowed, logon hour restrictions or a policy restriction has been
> enforced."
>
> I do not use passwords and have not set any hour restrictions, therefore,
> only thing remaining is policy restriction. Where do I find that? Search
> didn't help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed

OldManEd

Re: XP does not see Vista
Dumb, Dyumb, Dumb Microsoft.

I'm not going to use a password. I live alone; I'm almost 80 and have
enought trouble just remembering my name and where I live.

Microsoft needs to go back to the drawing board.

ED

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <blinNoEmailplease@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "I do not use passwords" could be the problem. Check this post for more
> details.
>
> Vista file sharing problem without ...Vista may not allow you access
> remotely without a password. Assign the same password to the username and
> try it assign. Please post back with the result. ...
>
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...ad91e cbc2af8
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "OldManEd" <econgleton@snet.net> wrote in message
>>I get following error message when at XP and trying to see a shared folder
>>on Vista:
>>

>> "\\HPdesktop not available. You might not have permission........"
>>
>> "Logon failure: user account restrictions. Possible reasons are passwords
>> not allowed, logon hour restrictions or a policy restriction has been
>> enforced."
>>
>> I do not use passwords and have not set any hour restrictions, therefore,
>> only thing remaining is policy restriction. Where do I find that? Search
>> didn't help.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ed

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: XP does not see Vista
You may have an option to logon automatically without typing the password.
This post may help.

Vista Auto logon discussionThere's a default string under
"Winlogon\AutoLogonChecked"... how do I uncheck autologon, or what value
data do I enter into the default string to get Vista ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=1122

--

> Dumb, Dyumb, Dumb Microsoft.
>
> I'm not going to use a password. I live alone; I'm almost 80 and have
> enought trouble just remembering my name and where I live.
>
> Microsoft needs to go back to the drawing board.
>
> ED
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" <blinNoEmailplease@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "I do not use passwords" could be the problem. Check this post for more
>> details.
>>
>> Vista file sharing problem without ...Vista may not allow you access
>> remotely without a password. Assign the same password to the username and
>> try it assign. Please post back with the result. ...
>>
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...ad91e cbc2af8
>>

>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "OldManEd" <econgleton@snet.net> wrote in message
>>>I get following error message when at XP and trying to see a shared
>>>folder on Vista:
>>>

>>> "\\HPdesktop not available. You might not have permission........"
>>>
>>> "Logon failure: user account restrictions. Possible reasons are
>>> passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions or a policy restriction
>>> has been enforced."
>>>
>>> I do not use passwords and have not set any hour restrictions,
>>> therefore, only thing remaining is policy restriction. Where do I find
>>> that? Search didn't help.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Ed

Mick Murphy

RE: XP does not see Vista
You have to turn off password protected in Vista.
Read a bit further down in what I wrote

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

"OldManEd" wrote:

> I get following error message when at XP and trying to see a shared folder
> on Vista:
>

> "\\HPdesktop not available. You might not have permission........"
>
> "Logon failure: user account restrictions. Possible reasons are passwords
> not allowed, logon hour restrictions or a policy restriction has been
> enforced."
>
> I do not use passwords and have not set any hour restrictions, therefore,
> only thing remaining is policy restriction. Where do I find that? Search
> didn't help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed

OldManEd