Accessing intranet by computer name is slow

JeffG

Accessing intranet by computer name is slow
I have a fairly typical home wireless network. My main desktop on IP
192.168.1.2 is connected by ethernet to my router. My laptop is wirelessly
connected and has IP 192.168.1.3.

My desktop is running Apache/MySql with a local web in htdocs/myweb. If I
access the local web from my laptop using the IP address as
http://192.168.1.2/myweb it's very fast, but if I access using the computer
name as http://desktop/myweb it is unbearably slow - every page load takes
forever.

What's the explanation for this, and can it be fixed? I am going to be
installing this system for a local charity and they won't want to (shouldn't
need to) be typing IP addresses.
JeffG

RE: Accessing intranet by computer name is slow
Does nobody have an answer to this problem? Please?

Jeff.
tatz93

Re: Accessing intranet by computer name is slow

if your accessing desktop files, on your desktop through http, it will
be very slow, for a reason of which i dont know.
did this answer your question? i am new to this stuff, and like to help

--
tatz93
JeffG

Re: Accessing intranet by computer name is slow
Thanks for taking the time to try to help, but using http is not the problem.
The point is, I am talking to a web server on my local network - using the
numerical IP address is fast, but using the computer name instead of its IP
address is slow. That's what I need to sort out.

Jeff.

tatz93

Re: Accessing intranet by computer name is slow

Hi, Sorry for not completely answering the question.
I am not completely sure on the topic, all that comes to mind is NAT,
however that shouldnt be a problem. Here are a few pages which will
hopefully help

'Geek to Live: How to set up a personal home web server'
(http://lifehacker.com/software/featu...ver-124212.php)

I will try to assist you in anyways possible

--
tatz93
Malke

JeffG wrote:

> Thanks for taking the time to try to help, but using http is not the
> problem. The point is, I am talking to a web server on my local network -
> using the numerical IP address is fast, but using the computer name
> instead of its IP address is slow. That's what I need to sort out.

Hi, Jeff - If you can access the server by IP address and not by name, then
the issue is with DNS. I don't know anything about setting up Apache, but
DNS is where to start troubleshooting.

Malke
--
MS-MVP