As usual.. Vista-XP networking (Can't find answer in other posts)

Ruatha

As usual.. Vista-XP networking (Can't find answer in other posts)
Hi.
Problem:
I have a network partly wired and in part wireless. Two old XP machines that
can share files wthout problems, an X-box that can get files from the XP
machines (mainly one that has files on it, henceforth named "XP-machine") and
a soundbridge that through wireless can get music from the XP machine.
A new vista portable that when connected through wire can get the files from
the XP machine, but when on the wireless can't. So that seems to rule out any
rights issues.

When the Vista machine is on wireless both that and the XP machine can see
eachother on the network. The XP machine can access the files on the vista
machine, read and copy them.

The Vista machine can see the shared folders on the XP machine but not the
content or subfolders of those folders.
When it tries it get's error message after a while (translated from Swedish):

"\\Stordatorn\Musik is not availible. Perhaps you don't have the rights to
use this resource. Ask the server administrator for help.
The given network name is no longer availible"

When the XP machine tries to write to the Vista machine it creates a file
with the correct name and size on the vista machine but without content, and
get's the same above error message aswell.

The soundbridge and the X-box and another XP machine can read the files from
the XP machine without problems.

I've tried having the same user on both machines, with and without any
password, no difference.

When rightclicking on a root folder on the XP machine from the Vista
machine, the Vista machine can see properties such as size and used size on
the XP drive.

CURRENT:
Physical setting:
*Stationary XP Machine connected through wire to a speedtouch router/ADSL
modem.
*Portable Vista machine connected through WEP wireless to above router.
*XBOX connected through wire to router
*Pinnacle soundbride connected through wireless to router
*Stationary XP machine connected through wireless to router (Running MAME in
arcade cabinet)
*Dreambox TV box connected thorugh wire to router
*Wireless printer server (Can be used by all, the Vista machine aswell)

XP settings:
Firewall off
AVG Antivirus
SP2
workgroup name HOME
Several HD are shared from root. On some other drives only folders are shared.
Users on network are allowed to change files
user Guest is configured without password

Vista Settings:
Firewall off
No antivirus installed (until this is resolved)
workgroup name HOME
Private network
Network identification on
File sharing on
sharing of shared folders activated for changing, creating and reading
password protected sharing off
mediasharing on
Guest user configured without password
Shared folders have all rights given to all
REALTEK 8187B WLAN USB 2.0 device (Don't get me started on USB and VISTA..
grrr!)

This is really driving me nuts, pleas help me.
I've surfed this site and read other posts and answers but not found
anything that helps me.

P.s.
The new portable machine has a Nvidia 7000m chipset/graphics card, and there
doesn't seem to be any drivers for it for XP, so downgrading the OS doesn't
seem to be an option. I've tried it, and finding other drivers are also a
hassle. Nvidia sends me to Packard-bell who sends me to Nvidia (Who's generic
drivers are not for portable machines) Wich made me give up before I got to
the network issue, had problem finding drivers for the network card aswell.
d.s
Ruatha

RE: As usual.. Vista-XP networking (Can't find answer in other posts)
Done all updates that are availible, so the post stating that todays updates
will fix most, doesn't fix my problems..
Both machines updated, Vista and XP.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: As usual.. Vista-XP networking (Can't find answer in other posts)
It could be a 3rd party software. For troubleshooting, start the Vista with
clean boot. Please post back with the result.

windows faqsHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to stop the
Messenger Service ads How to tell who is logged on at a remote computer ...
www.howtonetworking.com/winfaqs.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Ruatha" <Ruatha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Done all updates that are availible, so the post stating that todays
> updates
> will fix most, doesn't fix my problems..
> Both machines updated, Vista and XP.

toli

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It could be a 3rd party software. For troubleshooting, start the Vista with
> clean boot. Please post back with the result.
>
> windows faqsHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to stop the
> Messenger Service ads How to tell who is logged on at a remote computer ...
> www.howtonetworking.com/winfaqs.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Ruatha" <Ruatha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Done all updates that are availible, so the post stating that todays
> > updates
> > will fix most, doesn't fix my problems..
> > Both machines updated, Vista and XP.

Think I have similar problems like you Ruatha and did not understand the
above suggestions, did you and have you tried? (I am also swedish, could this
be relevant information?)
Ruatha

Re: As usual.. Vista-XP networking (Can't find answer in other pos
Hi, sorry for the long time in replying.

No I've started with clean boot, even reformatted the computer and tried
from the beginning with virgin disk, no go.
So I still have the same problem.
And the new Vista Notebook (Packard Bell) doesn't have drivers for graphic,
soudn and network for Xp so I can't downgrade

I think it has something to do with public/browsable rights.. but I have
simplified file sharing on and everything is public...

toli, if you read this you can mail me at
james
minustecken
johansson
snabelA