Upgraded to Ultimate & still can't join a domain!!!

Mike

Upgraded to Ultimate & still can't join a domain!!!
Upgraded my Home Premium to Ultimate & cannot join my Win2k3 AD
Domain!!!
I can sit here & use my XP laptop & join no problem, but this Ultimate
piece of..... well, it just won't join!
I feel its a name resolution issue between this computer & DC,
although I have run dcdiag on my DC & everything passes.
When trying to join just using domainname, I am prompted for a
username & password for someone with permission to join the domain,
but eventually get the message:
An attempt to resolve the name of a DC in the domain being joined has
failed. Please verify that this client is configured to reach a DNS
server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain.
Oddly enough, I have to add the ISPs DNS servers to be able to get on
the internet, too.
Every XP box can join domain & browse the Internet using my internal
DNS server, though!
After callin M$ & routed to about 4 diferent people, II was told that
the call would cost $250!
I have been searching the intrnet & tried ump-**** different 'fixes'
that people have posted, as well.
HELP!!!

Mick Murphy

RE: Upgraded to Ultimate & still can't join a domain!!!
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/l.../bb727031.aspx

Have read of the above kink about joining a wired client to a domain.
Don't lose that link; it is very handy.

"Mike" wrote:

> Upgraded my Home Premium to Ultimate & cannot join my Win2k3 AD
> Domain!!!
> I can sit here & use my XP laptop & join no problem, but this Ultimate
> piece of..... well, it just won't join!
> I feel its a name resolution issue between this computer & DC,
> although I have run dcdiag on my DC & everything passes.
> When trying to join just using domainname, I am prompted for a
> username & password for someone with permission to join the domain,
> but eventually get the message:
> An attempt to resolve the name of a DC in the domain being joined has
> failed. Please verify that this client is configured to reach a DNS
> server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain.
> Oddly enough, I have to add the ISPs DNS servers to be able to get on
> the internet, too.
> Every XP box can join domain & browse the Internet using my internal
> DNS server, though!
> After callin M$ & routed to about 4 diferent people, II was told that
> the call would cost $250!
> I have been searching the intrnet & tried ump-**** different 'fixes'
> that people have posted, as well.
> HELP!!!

Brock Petersack

Re: Upgraded to Ultimate & still can't join a domain!!!
On Feb 13, 2:12*am, Mick Murphy <MickMur...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/l.../bb727031.aspx
>
> Have read of the above kink about joining a wired client to a domain.
> Don't lose that link; it is very handy.
>

> "Mike" wrote:
> > Upgraded my Home Premium to Ultimate & cannot join my Win2k3 AD
> > Domain!!!
> > I can sit here & use my XP laptop & join no problem, but this Ultimate
> > piece of..... well, it just won't join!
> > I feel its a name resolution issue between this computer & DC,
> > although I have run dcdiag on my DC & everything passes.
> > When trying to join just using domainname, I am prompted for a
> > username & password for someone with permission to join the domain,
> > but eventually get the message:
> > An attempt to resolve the name of a DC in the domain being joined has
> > failed. Please verify that this client is configured to reach a DNS
> > server that can resolve DNS names in the target domain.
> > Oddly enough, I have to add the ISPs DNS servers to be able to get on
> > the internet, too.
> > Every XP box can join domain & browse the Internet using my internal
> > DNS server, though!
> > After callin M$ & routed to about 4 diferent people, II was told that
> > the call would cost $250!
> > I have been searching the intrnet & tried ump-**** different 'fixes'
> > that people have posted, as well.
> > HELP!!!- Hide quoted text -

I have no RADIUS server in the mix, if that matters.
Will try your solution & let you know.
Thanks-