cannot ping through vpn

vpnfrustration

cannot ping through vpn
Hi,

I have a netgear box to box vpn which is working perfectly. I have tested
the connection using xp computers at either end and they can ping each other,
and the routers at each end no problem. Vista machines can ping other xp
machines on the local network and also can ping google for instance, but
cannot ping through the vpn to either the remote router or remote computers.
The request simply times out. I have tried turning the firewall off and
removing AV software. None of these things fix it!

Thanks
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: cannot ping through vpn
Where does stop if you use pathping to remote computer?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"vpnfrustration" <vpnfrustration@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a netgear box to box vpn which is working perfectly. I have tested
> the connection using xp computers at either end and they can ping each
> other,
> and the routers at each end no problem. Vista machines can ping other xp
> machines on the local network and also can ping google for instance, but
> cannot ping through the vpn to either the remote router or remote
> computers.
> The request simply times out. I have tried turning the firewall off and
> removing AV software. None of these things fix it!

> Thanks

vpnfrustration

Re: cannot ping through vpn
Hi Robert,

Thank you for your reply.

When I pathping through vista it says "0 No resources"

When I pathping through xp it takes 3 hops to get there (I can ping the
first two of these hops which are on the lan from the vista machine but not
the last one which is the remote router)

Thanks

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Where does stop if you use pathping to remote computer?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "vpnfrustration" <vpnfrustration@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a netgear box to box vpn which is working perfectly. I have tested
> > the connection using xp computers at either end and they can ping each
> > other,
> > and the routers at each end no problem. Vista machines can ping other xp
> > machines on the local network and also can ping google for instance, but
> > cannot ping through the vpn to either the remote router or remote
> > computers.
> > The request simply times out. I have tried turning the firewall off and
> > removing AV software. None of these things fix it!

> > Thanks

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: cannot ping through vpn
"0 No resources" mean the Vista can't reach the destination. Even you have
removed AV, it could be other security software. Try to start the Vista with
clean boot.

Windows generalHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows
Safe Mode with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort
programs in Start ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm

--

> Hi Robert,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> When I pathping through vista it says "0 No resources"
>
> When I pathping through xp it takes 3 hops to get there (I can ping the
> first two of these hops which are on the lan from the vista machine but
> not
> the last one which is the remote router)
>
> Thanks
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Where does stop if you use pathping to remote computer?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "vpnfrustration" <vpnfrustration@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have a netgear box to box vpn which is working perfectly. I have
>> > tested
>> > the connection using xp computers at either end and they can ping each
>> > other,
>> > and the routers at each end no problem. Vista machines can ping other
>> > xp
>> > machines on the local network and also can ping google for instance,
>> > but
>> > cannot ping through the vpn to either the remote router or remote
>> > computers.
>> > The request simply times out. I have tried turning the firewall off
>> > and
>> > removing AV software. None of these things fix it!
>> >
>> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks

vpnfrustration

Re: cannot ping through vpn
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your help once again. I tried booting into safe mode with
networking and the pinging and all other network functions worked perfectly.
Then I tried running msconfig and rebooting (not safe mode) having disabled
windows security centre, user access control (done seperately), the AV
software, and windows defender. Same problem again, no pinging. So we're a
little further forward but I don't know how to actually fix it.

Looking forward to some more wise words!

Thanks

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> "0 No resources" mean the Vista can't reach the destination. Even you have
> removed AV, it could be other security software. Try to start the Vista with
> clean boot.
>
> Windows generalHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot · How to Run Windows
> Safe Mode with Networking · How to setup DHCP for IP Phone How to sort
> programs in Start ...
> http://www.howtonetworking.com/Windo...owsgeneral.htm
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "vpnfrustration" <vpnfrustration@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > Thank you for your reply.
> >
> > When I pathping through vista it says "0 No resources"
> >
> > When I pathping through xp it takes 3 hops to get there (I can ping the
> > first two of these hops which are on the lan from the vista machine but
> > not
> > the last one which is the remote router)
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Where does stop if you use pathping to remote computer?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >>

> >> "vpnfrustration" <vpnfrustration@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

shinabl

Re: cannot ping through vpn

I found running the command line as the administrator fixed the "0 No
Resources problem". Right click on command line and select run as
administrator. This should take care of the problem.

--
shinabl
shinabl's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=49960

http://forums.techarena.in