Cannot create or connect to ad hoc network

Earl

Cannot create or connect to ad hoc network
This related to a Toshiba Satellite U305-S5077 laptop running Vista Home
Premium
with an Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter. Trying to create an
ad hoc network fails with no indication of the reason. Trying to connect to
an
existing network fails with an Error log entry of
"failed due to an unknown reason".

I have been using ad hoc networking between two other Vista systems without
any problems.

The wireless adapter works and has current drivers.

Any suggestions on what else to look at?
------- Details ------------------------------------------------------------

When I try to set up an ad hoc network named WW, it fails and gives the
message
"Windows could not set up WW".
I can't find anything in the Event Viewer that seems to correlate with the
failure. I've tried different network names, different Security types but
nothing works.

It will detect an existing ad hoc network named WW but will not join it.
It gives the message:
"Windows cannot connect to WW"

The Network Diagnostics Events Log entry is
"
HelperClassName RNWF MSM Helper Class
EventDescription Wireless Diagnostic Helper Class Event For complete
information about this session see the Wireless Diagnostic Informational
Event. Helper Class: Native WiFi MSM Initialize status: Success Information
for connection being diagnosed Interface GUID:
34784088-82dd-42b5-a53c-ee9a22fb97ea Interface name: Atheros AR5007EG
Wireless Network Adapter Interface type: Native WiFi Profile: Discovery
connection SSID: WW SSID length: 2 Connection mode: Ad hoc Security: Yes
Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No Result of diagnosis: Problem
found Root cause: Windows cannot connect to "WW" Wireless association failed
due to an unknown reason. Detailed root cause: 802.11 connection failed due
to status code 1: unspecified failure Repair option: Try connecting to "WW"
again If the problem continues, contact your network administrator or
hardware manufacturer for further assistance.
"

Trying again gives the same results.
The Device Manager claims the Wireless Network Adapter is working
properly and that the driver is current.
Thanks,
Earl

Speed, Quality, Price Pick any two.
Mick Murphy

RE: Cannot create or connect to ad hoc network

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

..

"Earl" wrote:

> This related to a Toshiba Satellite U305-S5077 laptop running Vista Home
> Premium
> with an Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter. Trying to create an
> ad hoc network fails with no indication of the reason. Trying to connect to
> an
> existing network fails with an Error log entry of
> "failed due to an unknown reason".
>
> I have been using ad hoc networking between two other Vista systems without
> any problems.
>
> The wireless adapter works and has current drivers.
>
> Any suggestions on what else to look at?
> ------- Details ------------------------------------------------------------
>
> When I try to set up an ad hoc network named WW, it fails and gives the
> message
> "Windows could not set up WW".
> I can't find anything in the Event Viewer that seems to correlate with the
> failure. I've tried different network names, different Security types but
> nothing works.
>
> It will detect an existing ad hoc network named WW but will not join it.
> It gives the message:
> "Windows cannot connect to WW"
>
> The Network Diagnostics Events Log entry is
> "
> HelperClassName RNWF MSM Helper Class
> EventDescription Wireless Diagnostic Helper Class Event For complete
> information about this session see the Wireless Diagnostic Informational
> Event. Helper Class: Native WiFi MSM Initialize status: Success Information
> for connection being diagnosed Interface GUID:
> 34784088-82dd-42b5-a53c-ee9a22fb97ea Interface name: Atheros AR5007EG
> Wireless Network Adapter Interface type: Native WiFi Profile: Discovery
> connection SSID: WW SSID length: 2 Connection mode: Ad hoc Security: Yes
> Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No Result of diagnosis: Problem
> found Root cause: Windows cannot connect to "WW" Wireless association failed
> due to an unknown reason. Detailed root cause: 802.11 connection failed due
> to status code 1: unspecified failure Repair option: Try connecting to "WW"
> again If the problem continues, contact your network administrator or
> hardware manufacturer for further assistance.
> "
>
> Trying again gives the same results.
> The Device Manager claims the Wireless Network Adapter is working
> properly and that the driver is current.
> Thanks,
> Earl
>
> Speed, Quality, Price Pick any two.

Earl

RE: Cannot create or connect to ad hoc network
Thanks for your response.

I think I could get file and print sharing to work if I could
connect to a network. When I connect with a Lan it works.
When I try to use a wireless network, I can see my existing
one listed, but get “failed due to an unknown reason.”
when I try to connect.

I connect to it regularly from other systems. The password is
right, the adapter should be able to handle the security level.
I thought there might be some other incompatibility, so I
tried to create a new network from this system. It just says
“Windows could not set up WW” with no indication of why.

Workgroup name, accounts/passwords, permissions, and
firewall settings are the same on this system as the ones that work.

I think the problem is happening before authentication happens.
I thought it might be hardware or driver problems. But, the
device manager doesn't show a problem and likes the current
driver. I see the same wireless networks as the other systems
show. I just cannot connect to them.

I am just looking for some ideas about what to investigate next.
What could prevent me from creating or connecting to a network.

Thanks,
Earl
--

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> [...]
> > for connection being diagnosed Interface GUID:
> > 34784088-82dd-42b5-a53c-ee9a22fb97ea Interface name: Atheros AR5007EG
> > Wireless Network Adapter Interface type: Native WiFi Profile: Discovery
> > connection SSID: WW SSID length: 2 Connection mode: Ad hoc Security: Yes
> > Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No Result of diagnosis: Problem
> > found Root cause: Windows cannot connect to "WW" Wireless association failed
> > due to an unknown reason. Detailed root cause: 802.11 connection failed due
> > to status code 1: unspecified failure Repair option: Try connecting to "WW"
> > again If the problem continues, contact your network administrator or
> > hardware manufacturer for further assistance.
> > "
> >
> > Trying again gives the same results.
> > The Device Manager claims the Wireless Network Adapter is working
> > properly and that the driver is current.

Yassen

Re: Cannot create or connect to ad hoc network
I have exactly the same problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop
with an Atheros Wireless Card and receive the same problem when I try
to connect to or create an adhoc-Network.

Have you solved it?

Regards,
Yassen
Earl

Re: Cannot create or connect to ad hoc network
I never could get ad hoc networking to work. We got a wireless router and
and the laptop connects to it with no problems. Its irritating to not get
the ad hoc net to work, but the router network is much easer to use and more
reliable.

But, I would still like to know why it doesn't work.

Regards,
Earl
--

"Yassen" wrote:

> I have exactly the same problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop
> with an Atheros Wireless Card and receive the same problem when I try
> to connect to or create an adhoc-Network.
>
> Have you solved it?
>
> Regards,
> Yassen

Liten!n

"Earl" wrote:

> I never could get ad hoc networking to work. We got a wireless router and
> and the laptop connects to it with no problems. Its irritating to not get
> the ad hoc net to work, but the router network is much easer to use and more
> reliable.
>
> But, I would still like to know why it doesn't work.
>
> Regards,
> Earl
> --
> Speed, Quality, Price Pick any two.
>

> "Yassen" wrote:
>
> > I have exactly the same problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop
> > with an Atheros Wireless Card and receive the same problem when I try
> > to connect to or create an adhoc-Network.
> >
> > Have you solved it?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Yassen

I had the same problem with my satellite A200's wifi card (Atheros
AR5007EG). I think the problem comes from windows update installing a wrong
version of the driver. So I just tried to restore the previous driver
(7.3.1.42) and things worked fine again !!
Hope this will help
Yassen

Re: Cannot create or connect to ad hoc network
Since recently there is an updated driver on the Toshiba-homepage.
Works for me!