Printing through network

Andy

Printing through network
Hi

i run a wirless net work with 2 XP computers and 1 vista computers I can see
every one on my network map on my vista computer but not in the network
section. My printer is slaved off of my desktop XP and my XP laptop can print
to it. However I can't get my Vista lap top to access the hard drive of
either computer or the printer. I have install the patch on both xp computers
and the printer is vista compatable. network discovery is turned on on my
vista computer.
--
Thanks
Andy
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Printing through network
Can Vista ping the XP by IP? Also make sure they are in the same workgroup.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> i run a wirless net work with 2 XP computers and 1 vista computers I can
> see
> every one on my network map on my vista computer but not in the network
> section. My printer is slaved off of my desktop XP and my XP laptop can
> print
> to it. However I can't get my Vista lap top to access the hard drive of
> either computer or the printer. I have install the patch on both xp
> computers
> and the printer is vista compatable. network discovery is turned on on my
> vista computer.
> --
> Thanks
> Andy

Mick Murphy

RE: Printing through network

sharing is enabled in THEIR firewall.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer Sharing Wizard to include
Vista in your “New” Network, even if you had an XP Network set up prior to
adding a Vista computer to it.

"Andy" wrote:

> Hi
>
> i run a wirless net work with 2 XP computers and 1 vista computers I can see
> every one on my network map on my vista computer but not in the network
> section. My printer is slaved off of my desktop XP and my XP laptop can print
> to it. However I can't get my Vista lap top to access the hard drive of
> either computer or the printer. I have install the patch on both xp computers
> and the printer is vista compatable. network discovery is turned on on my
> vista computer.
> --
> Thanks
> Andy

Andy

Re: Printing through network
Hi yes I can ping both ways and they are in the same work group
--
Thanks
Andy

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can Vista ping the XP by IP? Also make sure they are in the same workgroup.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > i run a wirless net work with 2 XP computers and 1 vista computers I can
> > see
> > every one on my network map on my vista computer but not in the network
> > section. My printer is slaved off of my desktop XP and my XP laptop can
> > print
> > to it. However I can't get my Vista lap top to access the hard drive of
> > either computer or the printer. I have install the patch on both xp
> > computers
> > and the printer is vista compatable. network discovery is turned on on my
> > vista computer.
> > --
> > Thanks
> > Andy

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Printing through network
On the Vista, do "net view \\xpipaddress" (note xpipaddress is the ip
address of the XP). Post back with the result. Or check this search result.

Vista Print IssuesInstallation of printer in Vista receive a error message
.... Many Vista printer issues are solved by installing the printer as a
Local Printer ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistaprint.htm

--

news33B734F-57BB-4B79-9469-B478D241290A@microsoft.com...
> Hi yes I can ping both ways and they are in the same work group
> --
> Thanks
> Andy
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Can Vista ping the XP by IP? Also make sure they are in the same
>> workgroup.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > i run a wirless net work with 2 XP computers and 1 vista computers I
>> > can
>> > see
>> > every one on my network map on my vista computer but not in the network
>> > section. My printer is slaved off of my desktop XP and my XP laptop can
>> > print
>> > to it. However I can't get my Vista lap top to access the hard drive of
>> > either computer or the printer. I have install the patch on both xp
>> > computers
>> > and the printer is vista compatable. network discovery is turned on on
>> > my
>> > vista computer.
>> > --
>> > Thanks
>> > Andy

Andy

RE: Printing through network
genius Thank you I had turned off the receiving computers fire wall but not
the out bound as soon as I turned Norton off on my Vista laptop it printed
directly to the printer.

--
Thanks
Andy