Local shares not accessible

Dirk Grunewald

Local shares not accessible
Hi,

I have the following problem on a Vista Ultimate machine:

- I am logged on with local admin rights, the server service is running and
file and printer sharing is turned on.
- The machine is connected to the local network and can connect to the
internet.
- Unfortunately, the local network shares on this machine (local harddrive)
are not accessible from my local user account.
e.g. connecting \\localhost\c$ or any other share on this maschine results
in the error message, that the share cannot be accessed and the request is
not supported.

Using the network name or IP, I am able to see the visible shares, but again
the shares are not accessible. In this case, an error message appears, that
the network device cannot be reached.

Connecting to printers using the same way (\\network_name\printer) is working.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Dirk

Jason

Re: Local shares not accessible
Dirk Grunewald,

KB 947232 has the answer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947232

In gerneral UAC disables the admin shares c$, admin$, etc.

You can change this behavior by making a change in the registry. (Regedit)

1. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies\System

2. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD (32-bit) Value

3. Type LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy to name the new entry, and then press
ENTER.

4. Right-click LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy, and then click Modify.

5. In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.

6. Exit Registry Editor.

Jason Tarby, MCSE
dookie@cyberdude.com

Dirk Grunewald

Re: Local shares not accessible
Hi Jason,

the mentioned KB does not solve the problem.
Not only the admin shares like C$ are not working, also all other shares,
e.g. "Recorded TV" are also affected. Using the change in the registry has no
impact.

Moreover, UAC is disabled, and the Admin account also has Domain Admin rights.
Of course, File and printer sharing is enabled.

Dirk