Laptop will not connect wirelessly

nicholas hall

Laptop will not connect wirelessly
I have a PC running vista ultimate which uses a BT Voyager 2100 roughter
(with wireless capabilities) and a new laptop vista premium, which has a
built in wan card.
If I try to connect to a protected network it will not connect. If I remove
ALL the protection I still can not connect? If I use a CAT5 cable to connect
all is fine??
I am at a loss and I wondered if anyone knows what I could do so that I
could connect wirelessly.

NIK

nicholas hall

Re: Laptop will not connect wirelessly
*correction* built in wireless card.

NIK

"nicholas hall" <niknik1971NOSPAM@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news02A3F52-F61D-4B10-8BDB-A0629FE1EEC9@microsoft.com...
>I have a PC running vista ultimate which uses a BT Voyager 2100 roughter
>(with wireless capabilities) and a new laptop vista premium, which has a
>built in wan card.
> If I try to connect to a protected network it will not connect. If I
> remove ALL the protection I still can not connect? If I use a CAT5 cable
> to connect all is fine??
> I am at a loss and I wondered if anyone knows what I could do so that I
> could connect wirelessly.
>
> NIK

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IE0=?=

RE: Laptop will not connect wirelessly
I have a similar BT Voyager router which works through LAN okay but on WAN it
is very slow, with some sites taking minutes to appear whereas others like
the BBC run as normal. (www.iii.co.uk is one I want in particular, but just
does not work viably using wireless).

Signal strength and quality are both fine. I do not understand this at all.

I have Vista Home Basic, on a Dell Inspirion 1101 with built in wifi.

"nicholas hall" wrote:

> I have a PC running vista ultimate which uses a BT Voyager 2100 roughter
> (with wireless capabilities) and a new laptop vista premium, which has a
> built in wan card.
> If I try to connect to a protected network it will not connect. If I remove
> ALL the protection I still can not connect? If I use a CAT5 cable to connect
> all is fine??
> I am at a loss and I wondered if anyone knows what I could do so that I
> could connect wirelessly.
>
> NIK

nicholas hall

Re: Laptop will not connect wirelessly
Thanks for the reply Andrew.

Here is a question for you. How did you set up the wireless connection?

Any information would be gratefully accepted.

NIK

"Andrew M" <Andrew M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a similar BT Voyager router which works through LAN okay but on WAN
>it
> is very slow, with some sites taking minutes to appear whereas others like
> the BBC run as normal. (www.iii.co.uk is one I want in particular, but
> just
> does not work viably using wireless).
>
> Signal strength and quality are both fine. I do not understand this at
> all.
>
> I have Vista Home Basic, on a Dell Inspirion 1101 with built in wifi.
>
> "nicholas hall" wrote:
>
>> I have a PC running vista ultimate which uses a BT Voyager 2100 roughter
>> (with wireless capabilities) and a new laptop vista premium, which has a
>> built in wan card.
>> If I try to connect to a protected network it will not connect. If I
>> remove
>> ALL the protection I still can not connect? If I use a CAT5 cable to
>> connect
>> all is fine??
>> I am at a loss and I wondered if anyone knows what I could do so that I
>> could connect wirelessly.
>>
>> NIK

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IE0=?=

Re: Laptop will not connect wirelessly
Firstly, I had to turn the WIFI receiver on, which was done by pressing Fn +
F2. On the bottom right hand side of the start menu tray, where the clock
is, I right clicked on the icon that typically appears for a network
connection (two small squares, that will have a red X or a picture of a globe
on it)

I then clicked connect to a network. A list of local transmitters appeared.
There were only two on mine, and I knew mine was the stronger signal.
Typically the network ID is your equipment's name plus a couple of
identifying digits. I double clicked that and typed in the wireless access
key (WEP 128-bit security code) that would unlock the encryption for me.
This code will be on the bottom of your router. IT is about 13 characters
long, and includes numbers and letters.

After that, the connection was made and all was okay. The connection
reconnects automatically when starting up again. My problem is most sites
work, but one of my favourite's won't appear when I ping it, and takes about
10 minutes to load just the main page. Thus, it is unuseable to read
articles etc. This is www.iii.co.uk I am talking about.

Hope this is useful.

"nicholas hall" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Andrew.
>
> Here is a question for you. How did you set up the wireless connection?
>
> Any information would be gratefully accepted.
>
> NIK
>
> "Andrew M" <Andrew M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a similar BT Voyager router which works through LAN okay but on WAN
> >it
> > is very slow, with some sites taking minutes to appear whereas others like
> > the BBC run as normal. (www.iii.co.uk is one I want in particular, but
> > just
> > does not work viably using wireless).
> >
> > Signal strength and quality are both fine. I do not understand this at
> > all.
> >
> > I have Vista Home Basic, on a Dell Inspirion 1101 with built in wifi.
> >
> > "nicholas hall" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a PC running vista ultimate which uses a BT Voyager 2100 roughter
> >> (with wireless capabilities) and a new laptop vista premium, which has a
> >> built in wan card.
> >> If I try to connect to a protected network it will not connect. If I
> >> remove
> >> ALL the protection I still can not connect? If I use a CAT5 cable to
> >> connect
> >> all is fine??
> >> I am at a loss and I wondered if anyone knows what I could do so that I
> >> could connect wirelessly.
> >>
> >> NIK

nicholas hall

Re: Laptop will not connect wirelessly
Andrew did you get your roughter with your broadband service.

The reason I am asking you this is because I do not have a WEP key on the
bottom of my roughter and I got my roughter from PC world.

> Firstly, I had to turn the WIFI receiver on, which was done by pressing Fn
> +
> F2. On the bottom right hand side of the start menu tray, where the clock
> is, I right clicked on the icon that typically appears for a network
> connection (two small squares, that will have a red X or a picture of a
> globe
> on it)
>

> I then clicked connect to a network. A list of local transmitters
> appeared.
> There were only two on mine, and I knew mine was the stronger signal.
> Typically the network ID is your equipment's name plus a couple of
> identifying digits. I double clicked that and typed in the wireless
> access
> key (WEP 128-bit security code) that would unlock the encryption for me.
> This code will be on the bottom of your router. IT is about 13 characters
> long, and includes numbers and letters.
>
> After that, the connection was made and all was okay. The connection
> reconnects automatically when starting up again. My problem is most sites
> work, but one of my favourite's won't appear when I ping it, and takes
> about
> 10 minutes to load just the main page. Thus, it is unuseable to read
> articles etc. This is www.iii.co.uk I am talking about.
>
> Hope this is useful.
>

> "nicholas hall" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply Andrew.
>>
>> Here is a question for you. How did you set up the wireless connection?
>>
>> Any information would be gratefully accepted.
>>
>> NIK
>>
>> "Andrew M" <Andrew M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a similar BT Voyager router which works through LAN okay but on
>> >WAN
>> >it
>> > is very slow, with some sites taking minutes to appear whereas others
>> > like
>> > the BBC run as normal. (www.iii.co.uk is one I want in particular, but
>> > just
>> > does not work viably using wireless).
>> >
>> > Signal strength and quality are both fine. I do not understand this at
>> > all.
>> >
>> > I have Vista Home Basic, on a Dell Inspirion 1101 with built in wifi.

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IE0=?=

Re: Laptop will not connect wirelessly
Yeah, I got mine from BT directly. Perhaps try the manual, box the router
came in, and so on?

"nicholas hall" wrote:

> Andrew did you get your roughter with your broadband service.
>
> The reason I am asking you this is because I do not have a WEP key on the
> bottom of my roughter and I got my roughter from PC world.
>
> NIK
>
> "Andrew M" <AndrewM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Firstly, I had to turn the WIFI receiver on, which was done by pressing Fn
> > +
> > F2. On the bottom right hand side of the start menu tray, where the clock
> > is, I right clicked on the icon that typically appears for a network
> > connection (two small squares, that will have a red X or a picture of a
> > globe
> > on it)
> >

> > I then clicked connect to a network. A list of local transmitters
> > appeared.
> > There were only two on mine, and I knew mine was the stronger signal.
> > Typically the network ID is your equipment's name plus a couple of
> > identifying digits. I double clicked that and typed in the wireless
> > access
> > key (WEP 128-bit security code) that would unlock the encryption for me.
> > This code will be on the bottom of your router. IT is about 13 characters
> > long, and includes numbers and letters.
> >
> > After that, the connection was made and all was okay. The connection
> > reconnects automatically when starting up again. My problem is most sites
> > work, but one of my favourite's won't appear when I ping it, and takes
> > about
> > 10 minutes to load just the main page. Thus, it is unuseable to read
> > articles etc. This is www.iii.co.uk I am talking about.
> >
> > Hope this is useful.
> >

> > "nicholas hall" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the reply Andrew.
> >>
> >> Here is a question for you. How did you set up the wireless connection?
> >>
> >> Any information would be gratefully accepted.
> >>
> >> NIK

nicholas hall

Re: Laptop will not connect wirelessly
All is sorted now.
I found out what was the problem. The problem was the MAC address control, I
had the wrong machine address set in the allowed list.
Once I had the right address my laptop connected without a hitch.

Cheers for your help Andrew.

> Yeah, I got mine from BT directly. Perhaps try the manual, box the router
> came in, and so on?
>
> "nicholas hall" wrote:
>
>> Andrew did you get your roughter with your broadband service.
>>
>> The reason I am asking you this is because I do not have a WEP key on the
>> bottom of my roughter and I got my roughter from PC world.
>>
>> NIK
>>
>> "Andrew M" <AndrewM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Firstly, I had to turn the WIFI receiver on, which was done by pressing
>> > Fn
>> > +
>> > F2. On the bottom right hand side of the start menu tray, where the
>> > clock
>> > is, I right clicked on the icon that typically appears for a network
>> > connection (two small squares, that will have a red X or a picture of a
>> > globe
>> > on it)
>> >

>> > I then clicked connect to a network. A list of local transmitters
>> > appeared.
>> > There were only two on mine, and I knew mine was the stronger signal.
>> > Typically the network ID is your equipment's name plus a couple of
>> > identifying digits. I double clicked that and typed in the wireless
>> > access
>> > key (WEP 128-bit security code) that would unlock the encryption for
>> > me.
>> > This code will be on the bottom of your router. IT is about 13
>> > characters
>> > long, and includes numbers and letters.
>> >
>> > After that, the connection was made and all was okay. The connection
>> > reconnects automatically when starting up again. My problem is most
>> > sites
>> > work, but one of my favourite's won't appear when I ping it, and takes
>> > about
>> > 10 minutes to load just the main page. Thus, it is unuseable to read
>> > articles etc. This is www.iii.co.uk I am talking about.
>> >
>> > Hope this is useful.

=?Utf-8?B?bmljaG9sYXM=?=

Re: Laptop will not connect wirelessly
I know I am replying to my own last post, but I was sitting downstairs
furfing the net wirelessly and I thought it was too good a situation to let
go by.
So I though hey ho and I posted this.
It feels really good to be able to surf the net without wires.

NIK