Vista network quick to timeout

CMoya

Vista network quick to timeout
I have a home server running WinXP that goes to sleep and takes 3 or 4
seconds to wake up when accessed over the network. Vista never waits for it
wake up. It times out almost immediately.... and even worse seems to "cache"
the timeout for several minutes. So even though the server is up and ready,
Vista still says it's not available. This only happens when using Vista. Is
there any way to make Vista try a little harder and not be so quick to give
up?

--
-C. Moya
http://www.cmoya.com

Mark L. Ferguson

Re: Vista network quick to timeout
Setting the ethernet card properties to half duplex (speed tab) cured that
for me.

--
Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.

Mark L. Ferguson

..
"CMoya" <moy@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I have a home server running WinXP that goes to sleep and takes 3 or 4
>seconds to wake up when accessed over the network. Vista never waits for it
>wake up. It times out almost immediately.... and even worse seems to
>"cache" the timeout for several minutes. So even though the server is up
>and ready, Vista still says it's not available. This only happens when
>using Vista. Is there any way to make Vista try a little harder and not be
>so quick to give up?
>
> --
> -C. Moya
> http://www.cmoya.com

CMoya

Re: Vista network quick to timeout
On Vista or the server?

--
-C. Moya
http://www.cmoya.com

"Mark L. Ferguson" <MarkLFerguson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:421D04A6-21F8-46DF-9641-F22BAFD02260@microsoft.com...
> Setting the ethernet card properties to half duplex (speed tab) cured that
> for me.
>
> --
> Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
> interface.
> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales....htm#RateAPost
>
> Mark L. Ferguson
>
> .
> "CMoya" <moy@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I have a home server running WinXP that goes to sleep and takes 3 or 4
>>seconds to wake up when accessed over the network. Vista never waits for
>>it wake up. It times out almost immediately.... and even worse seems to
>>"cache" the timeout for several minutes. So even though the server is up
>>and ready, Vista still says it's not available. This only happens when
>>using Vista. Is there any way to make Vista try a little harder and not be
>>so quick to give up?
>>
>> --
>> -C. Moya
>> http://www.cmoya.com