permission

Stan

permission
I have a router for my two computer network. I created a Z: drive on my vista
computer but can`t get access to it from my XP computer. Permission problem.
Anyone know what to do.
David Hetherington

RE: permission
Vista requires user accounts to match on each machine. Make sure your vista
machine has the same user account information as the XP machine, and that the
user has permissions to access the share. A password will be required.
Vista has dumped the "open share" that XP had, that would allow anybody to
connect to the share without first authenticating.

"Stan" wrote:

> I have a router for my two computer network. I created a Z: drive on my vista
> computer but can`t get access to it from my XP computer. Permission problem.
> Anyone know what to do.

Mick Murphy

RE: permission
As far as I know the letter Z is reserved by Windows.

Use a different letter.

"Stan" wrote:

> I have a router for my two computer network. I created a Z: drive on my vista
> computer but can`t get access to it from my XP computer. Permission problem.
> Anyone know what to do.

Mick Murphy

RE: permission
You will find how to set permissions here when you get it sorted..

How to give Permissions are there, too.

If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"Stan" wrote:

> I have a router for my two computer network. I created a Z: drive on my vista
> computer but can`t get access to it from my XP computer. Permission problem.
> Anyone know what to do.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: permission
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:31:01 -0800, Stan <Stan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a router for my two computer network. I created a Z: drive on my vista
>computer but can`t get access to it from my XP computer. Permission problem.
>Anyone know what to do.

Stan,

The old "... access denied ..." error can have many causes, including physical
disconnection. The more normal is either permissioning on the resource computer
(aka server) or a personal firewall or other security device on the resource
computer. There are other issues that are new to computers running Vista.

You're not yet providing a lot of details or diagnostics about the problem. For
better help, lets look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net
config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer. Read this
article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (Download
browstat, and note how to run the command window, in Vista, as admin!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.