Can't view XP computer in network.

Rackers

Can't view XP computer in network.

I have Vista x64, when on XP I could see my brothers XP computer fine
but now I've upgraded it's no longer the case. I have to type
\\computername in the search to see his computer. How can I make it so
that when I open up the 'Network' from the start menu I can just see his
computer?

Thanks

--
Rackers
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't view XP computer in network.
You may want to install LLTD. Or this search result may help,

Networking between Vista and othersNetworking between Vista and other
Windows OS Can't access XP with error 0x80070005 · Vista can ping XP but see
it because of no LLTD installed ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista&others.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Rackers" <Rackers.34mdz7@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have Vista x64, when on XP I could see my brothers XP computer fine
> but now I've upgraded it's no longer the case. I have to type
> \\computername in the search to see his computer. How can I make it so
> that when I open up the 'Network' from the start menu I can just see his
> computer?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Rackers

BurrWalnut

RE: Can't view XP computer in network.
Have you put the Vista machine in the same workgroup?

Remember Vista uses a different default name for workgroups.

"Rackers" wrote:

> I have Vista x64, when on XP I could see my brothers XP computer fine
> but now I've upgraded it's no longer the case. I have to type
> \\computername in the search to see his computer. How can I make it so
> that when I open up the 'Network' from the start menu I can just see his
> computer?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Rackers

Rackers

Re: Can't view XP computer in network.

Well the XP machine is in a group called 'WORKGROUP' but under 'My
Computer' it says something about MSHOME. What is correct?

--
Rackers
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Can't view XP computer in network.
Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
allowed to be shared.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Rackers" <Rackers.34mdz7@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> I have Vista x64, when on XP I could see my brothers XP computer fine
> but now I've upgraded it's no longer the case. I have to type
> \\computername in the search to see his computer. How can I make it so
> that when I open up the 'Network' from the start menu I can just see his
> computer?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Rackers

Mick Murphy

RE: Can't view XP computer in network.

How to give Permissions are there, too.

If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)