Cant see PC on network!

FBxiii

Cant see PC on network!
Hi. I have recently bought a laptop and wireless router. I am connecting
the laptop (using Vista) wirelessly and have my old Windows ME PC wired.

I am able to 'ping' the PC from the laptop, but when I go into Network I
cannot see the PC.

I have file sharing enabled on the C: drive on the PC (security doesnt
matter as I am going to scrap it) and File/Print sharing enabled.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to be able to access my old PC on the
laptop?

Cheers,
Steve
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cant see PC on network!
Do you receive system error if using net view \\windows ip address?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"FBxiii" <FBxiii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi. I have recently bought a laptop and wireless router. I am connecting
> the laptop (using Vista) wirelessly and have my old Windows ME PC wired.
>
> I am able to 'ping' the PC from the laptop, but when I go into Network I
> cannot see the PC.
>
> I have file sharing enabled on the C: drive on the PC (security doesnt
> matter as I am going to scrap it) and File/Print sharing enabled.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I need to do to be able to access my old PC on the
> laptop?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

FBxiii

Re: Cant see PC on network!
Sorry, I am new to all this networking malarky!

Do you mean if I put the PC's IP address into internet explorer?

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do you receive system error if using net view \\windows ip address?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "FBxiii" <FBxiii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi. I have recently bought a laptop and wireless router. I am connecting
> > the laptop (using Vista) wirelessly and have my old Windows ME PC wired.
> >
> > I am able to 'ping' the PC from the laptop, but when I go into Network I
> > cannot see the PC.
> >
> > I have file sharing enabled on the C: drive on the PC (security doesnt
> > matter as I am going to scrap it) and File/Print sharing enabled.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what I need to do to be able to access my old PC on the
> > laptop?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Steve

Mick Murphy

Re: Cant see PC on network!

How to give Permissions are there, too.

If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Public Folder Sharing: ON

passwords on ALL computers in your Network) .

"FBxiii" wrote:

> Sorry, I am new to all this networking malarky!
>
> Do you mean if I put the PC's IP address into internet explorer?
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Do you receive system error if using net view \\windows ip address?
> >
> > --
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >

> > "FBxiii" <FBxiii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi. I have recently bought a laptop and wireless router. I am connecting
> > > the laptop (using Vista) wirelessly and have my old Windows ME PC wired.
> > >
> > > I am able to 'ping' the PC from the laptop, but when I go into Network I
> > > cannot see the PC.
> > >
> > > I have file sharing enabled on the C: drive on the PC (security doesnt
> > > matter as I am going to scrap it) and File/Print sharing enabled.
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me what I need to do to be able to access my old PC on the
> > > laptop?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Steve

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cant see PC on network!
In Windows ME command prompt, type ipconfig and write down the IP address.
In the Vista command prompt, type ping the ME ip address, and press enter.
Post back with the result.

--

> Sorry, I am new to all this networking malarky!
>
> Do you mean if I put the PC's IP address into internet explorer?
>

> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Do you receive system error if using net view \\windows ip address?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "FBxiii" <FBxiii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi. I have recently bought a laptop and wireless router. I am
>> > connecting
>> > the laptop (using Vista) wirelessly and have my old Windows ME PC
>> > wired.
>> >
>> > I am able to 'ping' the PC from the laptop, but when I go into Network
>> > cannot see the PC.
>> >
>> > I have file sharing enabled on the C: drive on the PC (security doesnt
>> > matter as I am going to scrap it) and File/Print sharing enabled.
>> >
>> > Can anyone tell me what I need to do to be able to access my old PC on
>> > the
>> > laptop?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Steve

FBxiii

Re: Cant see PC on network!
Hi.

I have already done this and the ME computer was successfully pinged from
the laptop. The result was something like 1ms (im at work so cannot post
results).

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> In Windows ME command prompt, type ipconfig and write down the IP address.
> In the Vista command prompt, type ping the ME ip address, and press enter.
> Post back with the result.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "FBxiii" <FBxiii@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry, I am new to all this networking malarky!
> >
> > Do you mean if I put the PC's IP address into internet explorer?
> >

> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Do you receive system error if using net view \\windows ip address?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

FBxiii

Re: Cant see PC on network!
I am at work so will have a look at this link later.

I have renamed the workgroup on the laptop to MSHOME which matches the ME
computer. I was still unable to see either the Workgroup or ME PC in the
Network folder.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> How to give Permissions are there, too.
>
> If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
> settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) .
>

> "FBxiii" wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I am new to all this networking malarky!
> >
> > Do you mean if I put the PC's IP address into internet explorer?
> >

> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> > > Do you receive system error if using net view \\windows ip address?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> > > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> > > http://www.HowToNetworking.com

FBxiii

Re: Cant see PC on network!
Hi.

I have put \\computer name into the search and the PC's folders open in an
explorer page! (it works with IP address too)

My computer does not appear in the Network folder still though.

How do I get the PC to appear now?

Thanks,
Steve