Vista incorrectly sees "Multiple Networks" & can't connect to Inte

kchloevt

Vista incorrectly sees "Multiple Networks" & can't connect to Inte
I have a wired router connected to a combination wired/wireless switch (both
are LinkSys and pretty old). The PC in question has a wired connection to the
switch. In the Network and Sharing Center, Vista sees two Networks: Network
(private) and Unidentified Network (public), but both have the same IP
information. Both also say local and internet access, but I cannot connect to
the Internet. Disabling one of the active connections (one of the fixes
suggested by Windows) causes all network connections to be disabled. I have
tried resetting the router and switch, renewing the DHCP lease and resetting
the network adapter to no avail. The most frustrating aspect of this problem
is that it is intermittent. Sometimes, without apparent reason, the computer
will "just work." There is another Vista PC also with a wired connection to
the switch that has no trouble connecting to the internet and correctly sees
only one network. Please give me some suggestions on what could be causing
this problem. Thank you!
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista incorrectly sees "Multiple Networks" & can't connect to Inte
Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"kchloevt" <kchloevt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a wired router connected to a combination wired/wireless switch
>(both
> are LinkSys and pretty old). The PC in question has a wired connection to
> the
> switch. In the Network and Sharing Center, Vista sees two Networks:
> Network
> (private) and Unidentified Network (public), but both have the same IP
> information. Both also say local and internet access, but I cannot connect
> the Internet. Disabling one of the active connections (one of the fixes
> suggested by Windows) causes all network connections to be disabled. I
> have
> tried resetting the router and switch, renewing the DHCP lease and
> resetting
> the network adapter to no avail. The most frustrating aspect of this
> problem
> is that it is intermittent. Sometimes, without apparent reason, the
> computer
> will "just work." There is another Vista PC also with a wired connection
> the switch that has no trouble connecting to the internet and correctly
> sees
> only one network. Please give me some suggestions on what could be causing
> this problem. Thank you!

kchloevt

Re: Vista incorrectly sees "Multiple Networks" & can't connect to
Well, now it's working. I went to the Device Manager and uninstalled the
network adapter. Vista automatically re-installed it and then when I repaired
the connection in the Network and Sharing center everything worked. Vista is
correctly seeing only one private network. I swear I have done this before
and it didn't fix it, but this time it did.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista incorrectly sees "Multiple Networks" & can't connect to
Thank you for the feedback.

--

> Well, now it's working. I went to the Device Manager and uninstalled the
> network adapter. Vista automatically re-installed it and then when I
> repaired
> the connection in the Network and Sharing center everything worked. Vista
> is
> correctly seeing only one private network. I swear I have done this before
> and it didn't fix it, but this time it did.
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help.

TechnoChallenged

Re: Vista incorrectly sees "Multiple Networks" & can't connect to
I have the exact same problem. Vista sees two "multiple networks" when, in
fact, they are the same. This prevents me from connecting to the internet.
However, as soon as I disable either one of the networks and re-enable the
LAN, I get connectivity again.

I just wish there was a way to not have to manually reset the LAN each time
after re-booting, because re-booting brings the problem back again.

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Thank you for the feedback.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "kchloevt" <kchloevt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well, now it's working. I went to the Device Manager and uninstalled the
> > network adapter. Vista automatically re-installed it and then when I
> > repaired
> > the connection in the Network and Sharing center everything worked. Vista
> > is
> > correctly seeing only one private network. I swear I have done this before
> > and it didn't fix it, but this time it did.
> >
> > "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Posting the result of ipconfig /all may help.

sobo97

Re: Vista incorrectly sees "Multiple Networks" & can't connect to
I too have been experiencing the same problem. I have tried uninstalling the
NIC and re-installing with no effect. Does anyone have another suggestion on
how to fix this problem?

"TechnoChallenged" wrote:

> I have the exact same problem. Vista sees two "multiple networks" when, in
> fact, they are the same. This prevents me from connecting to the internet.
> However, as soon as I disable either one of the networks and re-enable the
> LAN, I get connectivity again.
>
> I just wish there was a way to not have to manually reset the LAN each time
> after re-booting, because re-booting brings the problem back again.
>
> "Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
> > Thank you for the feedback.
> >
> > --
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> > http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> > http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >

> > "kchloevt" <kchloevt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Well, now it's working. I went to the Device Manager and uninstalled the
> > > network adapter. Vista automatically re-installed it and then when I
> > > repaired
> > > the connection in the Network and Sharing center everything worked. Vista
> > > is
> > > correctly seeing only one private network. I swear I have done this before
> > > and it didn't fix it, but this time it did.

gregg098

Re: Vista incorrectly sees "Multiple Networks" & can't connect to
I recently formatted and reinstalled Vista Premium because of some
other issues. This fixed the multiple networks problem for the first
few weeks and now its happening again. Seems like its after I wake the
computer up and my wife was logged into her account prior. I fix it
the same way as the rest of you, disable and reenable the nic.
micro_SOFT Service_Negelected

Re: Vista incorrectly sees "Multiple Networks" & can't connect to
THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT MICROSOFT HAS CONTINUED TO IGNORE. AFTER AKING FOR
HELP FROM MANY FORUMS, THEY ALL SEEM TO POINT AT EACH OTHER AND SAY IT IS
'NOT OUR PROBLEM'. MY SYTEM RESPONDS AS LISTED ABOVE AND IT HAS BEEN WEEKS.
WHAT IS UP MICROSOFT? WHY NO HOT FIX? WHERE ARE THE TECH'S TO HELP US? NOBODY
IS TAKING OWNERSHIP OF THIS ISSUE, YET I PAY FOR IT EVERYDAY. THERE MUST BE
A SOLUTION TO THIS MESS...AND NOT: "IT IS THE 'OTHER GUYS' PROBLEM.

"gregg098" wrote:

> I recently formatted and reinstalled Vista Premium because of some
> other issues. This fixed the multiple networks problem for the first
> few weeks and now its happening again. Seems like its after I wake the
> computer up and my wife was logged into her account prior. I fix it
> the same way as the rest of you, disable and reenable the nic.

Barb Bowman

Re: Vista incorrectly sees "Multiple Networks" & can't connect to
please post the text output of ipconfig /all
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:05:59 -0800, micro_"SOFT" Service_Negelected
<micro_"SOFT" Service_Negelected@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT MICROSOFT HAS CONTINUED TO IGNORE. AFTER AKING FOR
>HELP FROM MANY FORUMS, THEY ALL SEEM TO POINT AT EACH OTHER AND SAY IT IS
>'NOT OUR PROBLEM'. MY SYTEM RESPONDS AS LISTED ABOVE AND IT HAS BEEN WEEKS.
>WHAT IS UP MICROSOFT? WHY NO HOT FIX? WHERE ARE THE TECH'S TO HELP US? NOBODY
>IS TAKING OWNERSHIP OF THIS ISSUE, YET I PAY FOR IT EVERYDAY. THERE MUST BE
>A SOLUTION TO THIS MESS...AND NOT: "IT IS THE 'OTHER GUYS' PROBLEM.
>
>"gregg098" wrote:
>
>> I recently formatted and reinstalled Vista Premium because of some
>> other issues. This fixed the multiple networks problem for the first
>> few weeks and now its happening again. Seems like its after I wake the
>> computer up and my wife was logged into her account prior. I fix it
>> the same way as the rest of you, disable and reenable the nic.

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
Barb Bowman

Re: Vista incorrectly sees "Multiple Networks" & can't connect to
please post the text output of ipconfig /all
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.c...t-text-output/