Nforce Networking Controller... Code 10

CMOS

Nforce Networking Controller... Code 10
I bought a F755US laptop sometime last month. I tried to connect to my home
network I get nothing... no activity lights, no message saying anything is
unplugged, nothing. I check device manager and I have a yellow exclamation
mark and says "The device cannot start. (Code 10)" Vista says the media is
disconnected and to plug in the cable.

I thought I would try USB adapter so I plug in a USB to Ethernet adapter
which installs fine but still won't give me an any internet connectivity. I
get no lights indicating connectivity and Vista says the media is
disconnected.

I've tried a variety of drivers to no avail.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how it can be corrected?
Thanks.
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Re: Nforce Networking Controller... Code 10
Hi
My guess is that the Network card is not functioning.
May be it needs to be switched On in the BIOS, may be it needs
reinstallation of the Drivers.
Read the Laptop's manual and make sure that LAN is On.
Then look at Vista's Device Manger and make sure that the Network Card shows
as a valid configured hardware entry.
http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#ghost (the screen shot is taken from XP but
the principle applies to Vista too).
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"CMOS" <CMOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I bought a F755US laptop sometime last month. I tried to connect to my
>home
> network I get nothing... no activity lights, no message saying anything is
> unplugged, nothing. I check device manager and I have a yellow
> exclamation
> mark and says "The device cannot start. (Code 10)" Vista says the media
> is
> disconnected and to plug in the cable.
>
> I thought I would try USB adapter so I plug in a USB to Ethernet adapter
> which installs fine but still won't give me an any internet connectivity.
> get no lights indicating connectivity and Vista says the media is
> disconnected.
>
> I've tried a variety of drivers to no avail.
>
> Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how it can be
> corrected?
> Thanks.

CMOS

Re: Nforce Networking Controller... Code 10
No, the onboard network card is not functioning.

There is no setting in the BIOS in relation to onbard LAN.

I've tried every known driver in the land and have been unsuccessful.

Device Manager shows what I posted: a yellow exclamation next to nVidia
nForce networking controller. Properties indicates "This device cannot
start. Code 10"

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> My guess is that the Network card is not functioning.
> May be it needs to be switched On in the BIOS, may be it needs
> reinstallation of the Drivers.
> Read the Laptop's manual and make sure that LAN is On.
> Then look at Vista's Device Manger and make sure that the Network Card shows
> as a valid configured hardware entry.
> http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#ghost (the screen shot is taken from XP but
> the principle applies to Vista too).
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "CMOS" <CMOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I bought a F755US laptop sometime last month. I tried to connect to my
> >home
> > network I get nothing... no activity lights, no message saying anything is
> > unplugged, nothing. I check device manager and I have a yellow
> > exclamation
> > mark and says "The device cannot start. (Code 10)" Vista says the media
> > is
> > disconnected and to plug in the cable.
> >
> > I thought I would try USB adapter so I plug in a USB to Ethernet adapter
> > which installs fine but still won't give me an any internet connectivity.
> > get no lights indicating connectivity and Vista says the media is
> > disconnected.
> >
> > I've tried a variety of drivers to no avail.
> >
> > Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how it can be
> > corrected?
> > Thanks.

Dwarf

Re: Nforce Networking Controller... Code 10
Hi CMOS,

First of all, according to the HP webpage for your laptop, the network
driver required is 'Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Driver' (link given
below). You need to download and save this to a suitable location on your
machine. Since you have no network access from your machine, you will have to
do this on another machine with access and then copy the file to this
machine. According to the 'Windows Vista Administrator's Pocket Consultant',
Code 10, as you rightly state, means 'This device cannot start'. The
corrective action is as follows: 'Click the Update Driver button on the
Driver tab to run the Hardware Update Wizzard. Don't try to automatically
find a driver. Instead, choose the manual install option and select the
device'.
Dwarf

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...2093&lang= en

"CMOS" wrote:

> No, the onboard network card is not functioning.
>
> There is no setting in the BIOS in relation to onbard LAN.
>
> I've tried every known driver in the land and have been unsuccessful.
>
> Device Manager shows what I posted: a yellow exclamation next to nVidia
> nForce networking controller. Properties indicates "This device cannot
> start. Code 10"
>

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > My guess is that the Network card is not functioning.
> > May be it needs to be switched On in the BIOS, may be it needs
> > reinstallation of the Drivers.
> > Read the Laptop's manual and make sure that LAN is On.
> > Then look at Vista's Device Manger and make sure that the Network Card shows
> > as a valid configured hardware entry.
> > http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#ghost (the screen shot is taken from XP but
> > the principle applies to Vista too).
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >
> > "CMOS" <CMOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I bought a F755US laptop sometime last month. I tried to connect to my
> > >home
> > > network I get nothing... no activity lights, no message saying anything is
> > > unplugged, nothing. I check device manager and I have a yellow
> > > exclamation
> > > mark and says "The device cannot start. (Code 10)" Vista says the media
> > > is
> > > disconnected and to plug in the cable.
> > >
> > > I thought I would try USB adapter so I plug in a USB to Ethernet adapter
> > > which installs fine but still won't give me an any internet connectivity.
> > > get no lights indicating connectivity and Vista says the media is
> > > disconnected.
> > >
> > > I've tried a variety of drivers to no avail.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how it can be
> > > corrected?
> > > Thanks.

CMOS

Re: Nforce Networking Controller... Code 10
I am having no problem with my wireless connection. It is the onboard wired
ethernet connection. I've downloaded the drivers off the COMPAQ site. I've
uninstalled and reinstalled over and over. I've downloaded drivers from
nVidia. I've tried legacy drivers. There is nothing in the BIOS pertaining
to the onboard LAN and I'm updated to the latest BIOS.

"Dwarf" wrote:

> Hi CMOS,
>
> First of all, according to the HP webpage for your laptop, the network
> driver required is 'Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Driver' (link given
> below). You need to download and save this to a suitable location on your
> machine. Since you have no network access from your machine, you will have to
> do this on another machine with access and then copy the file to this
> machine. According to the 'Windows Vista Administrator's Pocket Consultant',
> Code 10, as you rightly state, means 'This device cannot start'. The
> corrective action is as follows: 'Click the Update Driver button on the
> Driver tab to run the Hardware Update Wizzard. Don't try to automatically
> find a driver. Instead, choose the manual install option and select the
> device'.
> Dwarf
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...2093&lang= en
>
> "CMOS" wrote:
>
> > No, the onboard network card is not functioning.
> >
> > There is no setting in the BIOS in relation to onbard LAN.
> >
> > I've tried every known driver in the land and have been unsuccessful.
> >
> > Device Manager shows what I posted: a yellow exclamation next to nVidia
> > nForce networking controller. Properties indicates "This device cannot
> > start. Code 10"
> >

> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > My guess is that the Network card is not functioning.
> > > May be it needs to be switched On in the BIOS, may be it needs
> > > reinstallation of the Drivers.
> > > Read the Laptop's manual and make sure that LAN is On.
> > > Then look at Vista's Device Manger and make sure that the Network Card shows
> > > as a valid configured hardware entry.
> > > http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#ghost (the screen shot is taken from XP but
> > > the principle applies to Vista too).
> > > Jack (MVP-Networking).

CMOS

Re: Nforce Networking Controller... Code 10
BUMP
mike.L

Re: Nforce Networking Controller... Code 10

im having the same exact problem!! i unistalled the nforce where im
getting the exclamation mark and the code 10 error and tried
reinstalling the drive from nvidia and its not working.....any ideas????

--
mike.L
mike.L's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/172847.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

cpatchett is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Nforce Networking Controller... Code 10
Well, I figure I will throw my two cents in about this, to maybe help resolve this, if no one has. I am having the same issue, this laptop had vista on it, network card wouldn't work. It would link, but it would not pull an address from DHCP, if you hand jammed the IP it would work. I re-installed vista, and it started doing this code 10 could not start. So, I tried Windows 7, same thing no luck. Now, here is the weird part. I put Ubuntu server 9.04 on it, and it had no trouble using the network card. However, every time I rebooted the computer Ubuntu would complain about the MAC address of the card being invalid, and I should complain to the hardware vendor and it would assign it a random mac, then it would increment the interface number, making it look like a new interface. I wrote a small startup script to fix that part and it would always come up as the first interface again. Now, I realize that this is a Vista forum, but I was hoping that someone might see what I have written and get an idea off if it. As of now, I have reformatted the computer back to Windows and I am stuck back at the code 10 cannot start problem.
syansbahrisunsea's Avatar

Location: Indonesia
syansbahrisunsea is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Nforce Networking Controller... Code 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOS View Post

"Dwarf" wrote:

> Hi CMOS,
>
> First of all, according to the HP webpage for your laptop, the network
> driver required is 'Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Driver' (link given
> below). You need to download and save this to a suitable location on your
> machine. Since you have no network access from your machine, you will have to
> do this on another machine with access and then copy the file to this
> machine. According to the 'Windows Vista Administrator's Pocket Consultant',
> Code 10, as you rightly state, means 'This device cannot start'. The
> corrective action is as follows: 'Click the Update Driver button on the
> Driver tab to run the Hardware Update Wizzard. Don't try to automatically
> find a driver. Instead, choose the manual install option and select the
> device'.
> Dwarf
>
> Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Driver Compaq Presario F755US Notebook PC - HP technical support (United Kingdom - English)
>
> "CMOS" wrote:
>
> > No, the onboard network card is not functioning.
> >
> > There is no setting in the BIOS in relation to onbard LAN.
> >
> > I've tried every known driver in the land and have been unsuccessful.
> >
> > Device Manager shows what I posted: a yellow exclamation next to nVidia
> > nForce networking controller. Properties indicates "This device cannot
> > start. Code 10"
> >

> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > My guess is that the Network card is not functioning.
> > > May be it needs to be switched On in the BIOS, may be it needs
> > > reinstallation of the Drivers.
> > > Read the Laptop's manual and make sure that LAN is On.
> > > Then look at Vista's Device Manger and make sure that the Network Card shows
> > > as a valid configured hardware entry.
> > > Network FAQ (the screen shot is taken from XP but
> > > the principle applies to Vista too).
> > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> > >
> > > "CMOS" <CMOS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

@CMOS

Error Code 10 indicates that the driver you installed is not compatibel with your network card, in term of the 3rd party device you've got
try finding the appropriate driver for it any how, the driver is very specific in nature, therefore you have to be selective in finding it by macthing the type of the network card and the type of your machine, especially for Compaq/HP Laptop, most of its drivers are named SP*****.exe (* refers to a spescific number) in autoextract file format.
Eventhough you have the dirver for the same network card vendor on the same Compaq/HP laptop but in drifferent type, let's say you have two Compaq laptop (Presario CQ40 & CQ20) both laptop has the same type of NC, each of the drivers cannot be exchanged.

once you find the driver, uninstall the wrong driver error coded 10 by refering to the device in Device Manager, right click on it, select unistall,
install the new driver (SP*****.exe)

Give it a try and good luck