Vista & XP workgroup

=?Utf-8?B?RGViYmllIChzc2FyOSk=?=

Vista & XP workgroup
I have two XP systems and one Vista Business system. I can ping all the
computers and that works. All computers have the same workgroup name. I can
see the Vista system by on one XP system in Network Neighborhood but not the
other XP system. I cannot see either XP system from my Vista system under
Network..

On the Vista system
If I go to Network I only see the Vista system and not any XP systems.

If I put either XP computer name in the address bar on the Network screen
(\\dbauer) I can see the XP folders just fine.

I put the patch on each XP system and the Diagram now sees all XPs but the
Network screen does not see any.

Windows Firewall is off and I am using Norton Internet Security and have all
computer IP addresses in the Trust screen.

Are the computers in a workgroup suppose to show up in the Nework screen
like the computers did in a solely XP workgroup?
--
Debbie (ssar9)
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista & XP workgroup
You may want to install LLTD. This link may help,

Step by step troubleshooting VISTA sharing
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Debbie (ssar9)" <Debbiessar9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E672DA9C-48D7-42A8-B92B-E86E1E141299@microsoft.com...
[...]

I installed the LLLP and see the computers in the map diagram. I do not see
computers in the Network window (Start/Network). I can type in two of the
computers (\\cabssrvr\SharedDocs\) and see the files but I cannot see those
computers icons in the window. You have given me this answer before and this
is not the problem I am having.
--
Debbie (ssar9)

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> You may want to install LLTD. This link may help,
>
> Step by step troubleshooting VISTA sharing
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewforum.php?f=1
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Debbie (ssar9)" <Debbiessar9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E672DA9C-48D7-42A8-B92B-E86E1E141299@microsoft.com...
> I have two XP systems and one Vista Business system. I can ping all the
> computers and that works. All computers have the same workgroup name. I can
> see the Vista system by on one XP system in Network Neighborhood but not the
> other XP system. I cannot see either XP system from my Vista system under
> Network..
>
> On the Vista system
> If I go to Network I only see the Vista system and not any XP systems.
>
> If I put either XP computer name in the address bar on the Network screen
> (\\dbauer) I can see the XP folders just fine.
>
> I put the patch on each XP system and the Diagram now sees all XPs but the
> Network screen does not see any.
>
> Windows Firewall is off and I am using Norton Internet Security and have all
> computer IP addresses in the Trust screen.
>
> Are the computers in a workgroup suppose to show up in the Nework screen
> like the computers did in a solely XP workgroup?
> --
> Debbie (ssar9)

=?Utf-8?B?RGViYmllIChzc2FyOSk=?=

RE: Vista & XP workgroup
I am running Norton Intenet Security 2007 and it was the problem. Here is
the fix:

1. Start Norton Internet Security 2007
2. Click on Norton Internet Security Tab
3. Select 'Settings tab'
4. Click on 'Internet Security and Firewall Options' under 'Additional
Options'
5. Select 'Advanced Settings' under 'Personal Firewall' in Left pane of the
'Internet Security and Firewall Options'
6. Click on "Configure" button
7. Click on "Add" in "General Rules" Window
8. Check Allow > Click "Next"
9. Check "connections to and from other computer"
10. Click Add > Click on "Only computers and sites listed below" > Click
Add.
11. Click on "Using range" and provide the IP Address Range.
12. Click OK.
1. 10.Click "Next"
2. 11. Check "All types of communication" > Click "Next"

--
Debbie (ssar9)