Learn Windows Networking

Rodger

Learn Windows Networking
Hi. I want to learn the essentials of windows networking. Ever since I got
Vista I couldn't get my mixed network of Vista and XP to work correctly. I
had to install Network Magic to make it work some what right, printer still
gives me problems there. Even when I had just a Windows XP only network
things just worked kind of ify. So I want to learn more about networking. Can
anyone recommend a good online course to learn networking essentials. thanks
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Learn Windows Networking
On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 08:24:00 -0800, Rodger <Rodger@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi. I want to learn the essentials of windows networking. Ever since I got
>Vista I couldn't get my mixed network of Vista and XP to work correctly. I
>had to install Network Magic to make it work some what right, printer still
>gives me problems there. Even when I had just a Windows XP only network
>things just worked kind of ify. So I want to learn more about networking. Can
>anyone recommend a good online course to learn networking essentials. thanks

Start by removing Network Magic. Fix the problem, not the symptoms. The
symptoms that NM "resolves" are generally related to browsing, or to accessing
shared data.

Learn about the browser (not Internet Explorer).
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html

Learn about file sharing authentication and authorisation.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...indows-xp.html

If you feel like diagnosing the problem, look at logs from "browstat status",
"ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (Download browstat, and run the command window, in Vista, as admin!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Rodger

Re: Learn Windows Networking
Chuck thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to start giving those a try in
the morning. I have to attend a wedding this afternoon. I'll let you know how
things go in the morning. Thanks Rodger

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 08:24:00 -0800, Rodger <Rodger@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi. I want to learn the essentials of windows networking. Ever since I got
> >Vista I couldn't get my mixed network of Vista and XP to work correctly. I
> >had to install Network Magic to make it work some what right, printer still
> >gives me problems there. Even when I had just a Windows XP only network
> >things just worked kind of ify. So I want to learn more about networking. Can
> >anyone recommend a good online course to learn networking essentials. thanks

> Start by removing Network Magic. Fix the problem, not the symptoms. The
> symptoms that NM "resolves" are generally related to browsing, or to accessing
> shared data.
>
> Learn about the browser (not Internet Explorer).
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html
>
> Learn about file sharing authentication and authorisation.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...indows-xp.html
>
> If you feel like diagnosing the problem, look at logs from "browstat status",
> "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
> computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
> precisely (Download browstat, and run the command window, in Vista, as admin!):
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Mick Murphy

Re: Learn Windows Networking

How to give Permissions are there, too.

If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"Rodger" wrote:

> Chuck thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to start giving those a try in
> the morning. I have to attend a wedding this afternoon. I'll let you know how
> things go in the morning. Thanks Rodger
>
> "Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 08:24:00 -0800, Rodger <Rodger@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Hi. I want to learn the essentials of windows networking. Ever since I got
> > >Vista I couldn't get my mixed network of Vista and XP to work correctly. I
> > >had to install Network Magic to make it work some what right, printer still
> > >gives me problems there. Even when I had just a Windows XP only network
> > >things just worked kind of ify. So I want to learn more about networking. Can
> > >anyone recommend a good online course to learn networking essentials. thanks

> > Start by removing Network Magic. Fix the problem, not the symptoms. The
> > symptoms that NM "resolves" are generally related to browsing, or to accessing
> > shared data.
> >
> > Learn about the browser (not Internet Explorer).
> > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
> > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html
> >
> > Learn about file sharing authentication and authorisation.
> > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html>
> > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...indows-xp.html
> >
> > If you feel like diagnosing the problem, look at logs from "browstat status",
> > "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config workstation", from each
> > computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
> > precisely (Download browstat, and run the command window, in Vista, as admin!):
> > <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
> > http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> > Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
> > My email is AT DOT
> > actual address pchuck mvps org.

Rodger

Re: Learn Windows Networking
Chuck
I got started on those instruction pretty early, around 5:30 am. I started
by deciding not to work with the wifes laptop and just dealing with the two
desktops. DADS-PC is my windows Vista pc, and MOMS-PC is my wifes Windows XP
pc. I started off following a link in your
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...lways-see.html
which I decided to make DADS-PC the master browser by disabling the "computer
browser" service on MOMS-PC. That didn't seem to get me anywhere, neither
computer was seeing each other. So frustrated I took a break went to walmart
got a large root beer. Began looking through your various links, came across
one that delt with "Windows XP And Vista On The LAN Together" began working
my way through it came to a link name resolution. Went there found out
MOMS-PC had the node type set to "Peer-Peer". Deleted the appropriate
registry entries. Restarted the computer that gave me "unknown" node type
changed that to "broadcast". After the restart I can see both computers. I
now have some questions. First my wife gets up early and her computer is
usually the first to start up will setting mine as the only computer with
computer browser service turned on have an ill effect? I don't usually start
mine till later. MOMS-PC browse the network slow when you press start, my
network places it takes like a minute or two before the shared networked
folders comes up. Is there a way to make that a little faster? Again thanks
for the help Rodger

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 07:21:01 -0800, Rodger <Rodger@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> [...]

>one that delt with "Windows XP And Vista On The LAN Together" began working
>my way through it came to a link name resolution. Went there found out
>MOMS-PC had the node type set to "Peer-Peer". Deleted the appropriate
>registry entries. Restarted the computer that gave me "unknown" node type
>changed that to "broadcast". After the restart I can see both computers. I
>now have some questions. First my wife gets up early and her computer is
>usually the first to start up will setting mine as the only computer with
>computer browser service turned on have an ill effect? I don't usually start
>mine till later. MOMS-PC browse the network slow when you press start, my
>network places it takes like a minute or two before the shared networked
>folders comes up. Is there a way to make that a little faster? Again thanks

Rodger,

If you have 3 computers, do you share files between all 3? What happens when
your wife is up, her computer is on, and the others are off? Does she expect to
access shared data on either of the other two computers?

Are any of the computers on 7 x 24, or at least on all times any other computer
is on?

What node type are the other computers using?

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Rodger

Re: Learn Windows Networking
Chuck thanks for taking the time to help me I really appreciate it. No my
wife doesn't expect to share information between computer when she's up in
the early morning. So I think we're ok with my desktop (Vista) being set as
the master browser. Thanks to your advice, I now know how to use browstat to
check that all three show my pc as the master browser. Of course I don't
think my wife realizes yet that I've uninstalled Network Magic off all the
computers, if it would have given me consistant network printing (shared
printer off of wifes desktop not directly connected to the networked,
although it could be) I might have used it. But every other day I was having
to stop sharing, reshare the printer. Network magic just wasn't working
right. I've been printing ok since sunday which is much better. The node
types, her laptop (Vista) is set to hybrid, her desktop ((Vista) which I
think was causing all my networking problems seeing as it was set to
peer-peer) is now thanks to you set to broadcast, and my desktop (vista) is
set to hybrid. My only little complaint is her desktop my network places
takes like two minutes to open up. Is there anything I can do to help fix
that problem? again thanks for all your help