Can't use Wireless Networking with Vista and XP after new router installed

mwbaker is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't use Wireless Networking with Vista and XP after new router installed
Hi

I have read through the post on this site but haven't come across a solution to my problem.

I have a vista Home laptop and an xp home desktop. Router is a speedtouch 780 supplied by O2.

If i connect Vista lap to router by ethernet i have no problems. However when I connect with wireless, I can see the xp desktop an the shared directories, but when I try to open them the system hangs and says the folder name is not valid

I am also running a Xampp server on the XP and can access the localhost webpage when connected by ethernet but not wireless.

I have done all the usual stuff, same workgroup, same name and password, turned firewall off on both and router, set static ip's, changed everyone permission settings on Vista. Share C:\ drive, undo and redone shares after each change.

As it is xp home I can't access security settings, but as I say, Ethernet -Works, Wireless - Not working

Any help would be greatfully received

Martin
Charlie

Re: Can't use Wireless Networking with Vista and XP after new router installed
Does the firmware on your router support Vista? Check to see if there is a
newer version.
"mwbaker" <mwbaker.34itgd@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Hi
>
> I have read through the post on this site but haven't come across a
> solution to my problem.
>
> I have a vista Home laptop and an xp home desktop. Router is a
> speedtouch 780 supplied by O2.
>
> If i connect Vista lap to router by ethernet i have no problems.
> However when I connect with wireless, I can see the xp desktop an the
> shared directories, but when I try to open them the system hangs and
> says the folder name is not valid
>
> I am also running a Xampp server on the XP and can access the localhost
> webpage when connected by ethernet but not wireless.
>
> I have done all the usual stuff, same workgroup, same name and
> password, turned firewall off on both and router, set static ip's,
> changed everyone permission settings on Vista. Share C:\ drive, undo and
> redone shares after each change.
>
> As it is xp home I can't access security settings, but as I say,
> Ethernet -Works, Wireless - Not working
>
> Any help would be greatfully received
>
> Martin
>

> --
> mwbaker

mwbaker is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, it a new router supplied by 02 broadband. The router is made by speedtouch. The bit that confuses me is that everything is fine when Vista is connected by ethernet, it is only wireless that is the issue.
loekashe

Re: Can't use Wireless Networking with Vista and XP after new router installed

I have exactly the same problem. My Vista Laptop accessed the work group
fine with my old Router but as soon as I used the O2 Wireless Box it
does exactly the same as yours and will only access with an Ethernet
cable. The folders I'm trying to access are on Vista Prem, XP Prof, Mac
OS X 10.4 and a NAS Drive running Linux so I doubt it is to do with
those OS's. I'm convinced the problem is with the Router as I have the
same problems with 2 different Wireless Laptops Running Vista Prem. I've
noticed that it can usually access folders which are either empty or
contain others folders only but cannot open folders that contain files.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
loekashe

mwbaker is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is the solution
After long research and NO HELP FROM O2

The problem is with the MTU value set on the wireless interface/port in vista

change it to these settings and it will work fine.

::. Kitz - Vista MTU .::

I have told this to 02 level 1 and level 2 support, but I am not surprised that they still don't help.

Post the solution on any boards you use to help spread the word.
loekashe

Re: Can't use Wireless Networking with Vista and XP after new router installed

Thanks mwbaker. Everything is now working perfectly. You saved me time
and hardware because everything was about to go out of the Window. The
only response I got from O2was a (very polite) "we dont support home
networks". Microsoft need to fix this quick.
Again Many Thanks

--
loekashe
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Can't use Wireless Networking with Vista and XP after new router installed
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"mwbaker" <mwbaker.37lw46@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> After long research and NO HELP FROM O2
>
> The problem is with the MTU value set on the wireless interface/port
> in vista
>
> change it to these settings and it will work fine.
>
> '::. Kitz - Vista MTU .::' (http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/vistaMTU.htm)
>
> I have told this to 02 level 1 and level 2 support, but I am not
> surprised that they still don't help.
>
> Post the solution on any boards you use to help spread the word.
>

> --
> mwbaker

duffpaddy

Re: Can't use Wireless Networking with Vista and XP after new router installed

Hi,

I'm an O2 Broadband user and I can confirm that the above MTU fix. I've
been banging my head against a brick wall trying to figure out why I
couldn't access my Lacie NAS drive on my Vista laptop but was could
access it fine from my XP desktop.

For all those who are encountering issues with accessing NAS storages
devices on Vista OS, then try the above fix.

--
duffpaddy

argybee is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a vista laptop and SKY broadband at home and I had no trouble accessing my Western Digital ethernet MYBOOKWORLD hard drive via the network. However when I took it round to my colleagues using his O2 wireless box and I could only access as far the PUBLIC folder.

Changing my MTU to 1430 worked. I have been looking for this solution for a long time and would like to thank the mwbaker for the link.

Don't forget to reboot your machine once you have changed the MTU though.

O2 are useless. They sent me to Western Digital citing it as their issue when clearly the problem lay with the O2 router. If they had an ounce of sense they would be jumping on posts like this and adding it to their support documents.

Adios