Adding Vista Ultimate to domain

Mark S

Adding Vista Ultimate to domain
Hello: I have an odd challenge. I can successfully add a Windows XP
Professional computer to my domain. Windows 2003 small business server hosts
my windows domain. I cannot add a Windows Vista ultimate computer to my
domain. The error message reports that DNS cannot find the domain controller.
When I ping the domain controller, the replies successfully return. The same
challenge appears with my other Windows Vista ultimate computers. I am new to
Windows Vista, so there must an issue.

Thank you, Mark
William

Re: Adding Vista Ultimate to domain
try it with the Networks FQDN e.g mydomain.local
"Mark S" <MarkS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello: I have an odd challenge. I can successfully add a Windows XP
> Professional computer to my domain. Windows 2003 small business server
> hosts
> my windows domain. I cannot add a Windows Vista ultimate computer to my
> domain. The error message reports that DNS cannot find the domain
> controller.
> When I ping the domain controller, the replies successfully return. The
> same
> challenge appears with my other Windows Vista ultimate computers. I am new
> Windows Vista, so there must an issue.
>
> Thank you, Mark

Tom Lake

Re: Adding Vista Ultimate to domain

"Mark S" <MarkS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello: I have an odd challenge. I can successfully add a Windows XP
> Professional computer to my domain. Windows 2003 small business server hosts
> my windows domain. I cannot add a Windows Vista ultimate computer to my
> domain. The error message reports that DNS cannot find the domain controller.
> When I ping the domain controller, the replies successfully return. The same
> challenge appears with my other Windows Vista ultimate computers. I am new to
> Windows Vista, so there must an issue.

We had the same problem when our DNS address pointed to our ISP's DNS server
rather than our own.

If you use a DHCP server, make sure it's handing out the correct address for the DNS
server.
If you manually set each workstation's IP address, make sure the DNS address points
your DNS server.

Tom Lake

Kerry Brown

Re: Adding Vista Ultimate to domain
Check that the DNS on the Vista computer only points to the SBS server and
nothing else. Make sure the SBS server has been updated for Vista
compatibility. Make sure you have installed the Vista WMI update for SBS
compatibility. If you are running ISA on the SBS server make sure you have
the Vista compatible client and have installed SP3 for ISA. Run the SBS
connectcomputer wizard to join the computer to the domain e.g.
http://SBSServer/connectcomputer

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=926505

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Mark S" <MarkS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello: I have an odd challenge. I can successfully add a Windows XP
> Professional computer to my domain. Windows 2003 small business server
> hosts
> my windows domain. I cannot add a Windows Vista ultimate computer to my
> domain. The error message reports that DNS cannot find the domain
> controller.
> When I ping the domain controller, the replies successfully return. The
> same
> challenge appears with my other Windows Vista ultimate computers. I am new
> Windows Vista, so there must an issue.
>
> Thank you, Mark

Seth

Re: Adding Vista Ultimate to domain
"Mark S" <MarkS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello: I have an odd challenge. I can successfully add a Windows XP
> Professional computer to my domain. Windows 2003 small business server
> hosts
> my windows domain. I cannot add a Windows Vista ultimate computer to my
> domain. The error message reports that DNS cannot find the domain
> controller.
> When I ping the domain controller, the replies successfully return. The
> same
> challenge appears with my other Windows Vista ultimate computers. I am new
> Windows Vista, so there must an issue.

Ping is not a reliable test as it has the ability to find the target via
WINS and broadcast.

Do an NSLOOKUP of the domain name. Is the DNS server queried the correct
DNS server? Is the response correct?