Bluescreen when setting Default Gateway

Elvar Steinn

Bluescreen when setting Default Gateway
Hello,

I'm a pretty experienced Windows "power" user and have set up countless
networks using Windows systems... and i've never seen this before.

I've been using DHCP to have this computer connect to my wireless router
until today. I wanted to set some NAT rules so i had to turn DHCP off and set
my ip/dns/gateway manually... that's what i did and after setting in the
correct values i pressed OK and then closed the Network Properties window to
save the settings, and Vista promptly gave me a bluescreen. I suspected this
had to do with me having multiple networks running somehow so after rebooting
i disabled them all (including the wireless one i was configuring) and set it
up again (the values had all been wiped by the way) while it was disabled,
and then enabled the wireless connection again. After enabling it ran but
even if i could access my router's control panel i couldn't get on the
internet and found out soon enough that my Default Gateway was empty (even if
i had set it)... So i went back to properties and set it again, and again
Vista gives me a bluescreen.

No matter what i try, whenever i set a default gateway, my Vista Home
Premium 64bit promptly crashes. If i set it with the connection disabled, it
wipes the value once i enable it.

Im baffled. It works on my laptop fine, and that's running Vista 32bit.
GregA

Re: Bluescreen when setting Default Gateway
Hi. Let me give 1.5c worth. I suspect that it was an early assumption of
DHCP that it be used by all devices on the subnet (or at least, it is a
simplification sometimes seen in implementations). Some routers definitely
don't like the situation where NOT ALL subnet hosts are set for DHCP. You
are not the only user to have been BSOD'd on Vista due to an address
conflict.

"Elvar Steinn" <Elvar Steinn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm a pretty experienced Windows "power" user and have set up countless
> networks using Windows systems... and i've never seen this before.
>
> I've been using DHCP to have this computer connect to my wireless router
> until today. I wanted to set some NAT rules so i had to turn DHCP off and
> set
> my ip/dns/gateway manually... that's what i did and after setting in the
> correct values i pressed OK and then closed the Network Properties window
> save the settings, and Vista promptly gave me a bluescreen. I suspected
> this
> had to do with me having multiple networks running somehow so after
> rebooting
> i disabled them all (including the wireless one i was configuring) and set
> it
> up again (the values had all been wiped by the way) while it was disabled,
> and then enabled the wireless connection again. After enabling it ran but
> even if i could access my router's control panel i couldn't get on the
> internet and found out soon enough that my Default Gateway was empty (even
> if
> i had set it)... So i went back to properties and set it again, and again
> Vista gives me a bluescreen.
>
> No matter what i try, whenever i set a default gateway, my Vista Home
> Premium 64bit promptly crashes. If i set it with the connection disabled,
> it
> wipes the value once i enable it.
>
> Im baffled. It works on my laptop fine, and that's running Vista 32bit.

Elvar Steinn

Re: Bluescreen when setting Default Gateway
Hey and thanks for the reply Greg.

I suspected that as well, but firstly my laptop runs fine with the same
router and a non-DHCP assigned IP, and secondly i did try different IPs just
to make sure it wasnt a conflict, all of which i made sure weren't being used
already.

I suppose the router could still be sending mixed signals... but should it
cause a BSOD every time on my 64bit and never on my 32bit?

"GregA" wrote:

> Hi. Let me give 1.5c worth. I suspect that it was an early assumption of
> DHCP that it be used by all devices on the subnet (or at least, it is a
> simplification sometimes seen in implementations). Some routers definitely
> don't like the situation where NOT ALL subnet hosts are set for DHCP. You
> are not the only user to have been BSOD'd on Vista due to an address
> conflict.
>
> "Elvar Steinn" <Elvar Steinn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm a pretty experienced Windows "power" user and have set up countless
> > networks using Windows systems... and i've never seen this before.
> >
> > I've been using DHCP to have this computer connect to my wireless router
> > until today. I wanted to set some NAT rules so i had to turn DHCP off and
> > set
> > my ip/dns/gateway manually... that's what i did and after setting in the
> > correct values i pressed OK and then closed the Network Properties window
> > save the settings, and Vista promptly gave me a bluescreen. I suspected
> > this
> > had to do with me having multiple networks running somehow so after
> > rebooting
> > i disabled them all (including the wireless one i was configuring) and set
> > it
> > up again (the values had all been wiped by the way) while it was disabled,
> > and then enabled the wireless connection again. After enabling it ran but
> > even if i could access my router's control panel i couldn't get on the
> > internet and found out soon enough that my Default Gateway was empty (even
> > if
> > i had set it)... So i went back to properties and set it again, and again
> > Vista gives me a bluescreen.
> >
> > No matter what i try, whenever i set a default gateway, my Vista Home
> > Premium 64bit promptly crashes. If i set it with the connection disabled,
> > it
> > wipes the value once i enable it.
> >
> > Im baffled. It works on my laptop fine, and that's running Vista 32bit.

Thiago Sestini

Default Gateway Bluescreen
I seem to have encountered this same issue of being bluescreened whenever I tried to set the default gateway. I run Vista Ultimate 32, and was just trying to set a wireless connection manually, since DHCP wasn't kicking correctly for some reason. After having lots of bluescreen events to my face, and sorting out issues with Netlimitter and another with my BT headphones (they jam my WiFi signal...), I finally managed to establish a working wireless connection. After all the fiddling, all it took was to activate network discovery. I don't know about setting the gateway now, since I didn't have to anyway. But my bluescreen issues happened only when setting the gateway, and seemed to have something to do with DEP.