How to run \\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe ?

dan.dan

How to run \\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe ?
Hello,
I have an "application.exe" that runs perfectly if I start it with a local
address like "c:\myfolder\application.exe"
But if I run it with a network address like
"\\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe", I systematically have an open
folder security warning to confirm with a yes/no button. How can I avoid this
security warning, knowing that I've already deactivated User Account
Security, firewall, anti-virus, windows defender.... what else ?
I did also share the folder "sharefolder"...

Note that this application runs on a private network not connected to the net.

Thanks for you answer(s)
Dan.Dan

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: How to run \\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe ?
If disabling UAC doesn't work, you may try to run it as service.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"dan.dan" <dandan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have an "application.exe" that runs perfectly if I start it with a local
> address like "c:\myfolder\application.exe"
> But if I run it with a network address like
> "\\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe", I systematically have an open
> folder security warning to confirm with a yes/no button. How can I avoid
> this
> security warning, knowing that I've already deactivated User Account
> Security, firewall, anti-virus, windows defender.... what else ?
> I did also share the folder "sharefolder"...
>
> Note that this application runs on a private network not connected to the
> net.
>
> Thanks for you answer(s)
> Dan.Dan

dan.dan

Re: How to run \\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe ?
Thank you for your answer. But disabling UAC was already done and I can't run
the application as a service because it is a editor.

The control I want to deactivate is the one that generates a the warning
message box indicating that the application has an "unkown publisher" .
Someone knows how to do that ?
Thank You

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If disabling UAC doesn't work, you may try to run it as service.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "dan.dan" <dandan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I have an "application.exe" that runs perfectly if I start it with a local
> > address like "c:\myfolder\application.exe"
> > But if I run it with a network address like
> > "\\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe", I systematically have an open
> > folder security warning to confirm with a yes/no button. How can I avoid
> > this
> > security warning, knowing that I've already deactivated User Account
> > Security, firewall, anti-virus, windows defender.... what else ?
> > I did also share the folder "sharefolder"...
> >
> > Note that this application runs on a private network not connected to the
> > net.
> >
> > Thanks for you answer(s)
> > Dan.Dan

Kirk

"dan.dan" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have an "application.exe" that runs perfectly if I start it with a local
> address like "c:\myfolder\application.exe"
> But if I run it with a network address like
> "\\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe", I systematically have an open
> folder security warning to confirm with a yes/no button. How can I avoid this
> security warning, knowing that I've already deactivated User Account
> Security, firewall, anti-virus, windows defender.... what else ?
> I did also share the folder "sharefolder"...
>
> Note that this application runs on a private network not connected to the net.
>
> Thanks for you answer(s)
> Dan.Dan

Kirk

RE: How to run \\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe ?
Hi Dan,

Did you ever get a working solution ?

I too, have been looking for an answer. Previously (XP Pro) we could have
used gpedit.msc to edit the system's policy to access the EXE without the
security message, but this is not available (but offered quite frequently as
the solution) when using Vista Home Premium.

I am concerned that MS' marketing gruop has under estimated the needs of the
"HOME" user when they 'slice and diced' Vista into the various versions and
we might need Ultimate to get full support.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

"dan.dan" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have an "application.exe" that runs perfectly if I start it with a local
> address like "c:\myfolder\application.exe"
> But if I run it with a network address like
> "\\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe", I systematically have an open
> folder security warning to confirm with a yes/no button. How can I avoid this
> security warning, knowing that I've already deactivated User Account
> Security, firewall, anti-virus, windows defender.... what else ?
> I did also share the folder "sharefolder"...
>
> Note that this application runs on a private network not connected to the net.
>
> Thanks for you answer(s)
> Dan.Dan

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: How to run \\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe ?
It could be the IE 7 enhanced security. This post may help. Please post back
with the result.

Windows cannot access the ...Now, whenever I run a executable file from a
network drive on other server ... Step by step troubleshooting VISTA sharing
.... Troubleshooting Vista Wireless ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2510

--
"Kirk" <Kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Dan,
>
> Did you ever get a working solution ?
>
> I too, have been looking for an answer. Previously (XP Pro) we could have
> used gpedit.msc to edit the system's policy to access the EXE without the
> security message, but this is not available (but offered quite frequently
> as
> the solution) when using Vista Home Premium.
>
> I am concerned that MS' marketing gruop has under estimated the needs of
> the
> "HOME" user when they 'slice and diced' Vista into the various versions
> and
> we might need Ultimate to get full support.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>

> "dan.dan" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I have an "application.exe" that runs perfectly if I start it with a
>> local
>> address like "c:\myfolder\application.exe"
>> But if I run it with a network address like
>> "\\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe", I systematically have an open
>> folder security warning to confirm with a yes/no button. How can I avoid
>> this
>> security warning, knowing that I've already deactivated User Account
>> Security, firewall, anti-virus, windows defender.... what else ?
>> I did also share the folder "sharefolder"...
>>
>> Note that this application runs on a private network not connected to the
>> net.
>>
>> Thanks for you answer(s)
>> Dan.Dan

Kirk

Re: How to run \\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe ?
Thanks for the fast reply,

I'd classify it as an issue with the way "Attachment Manager" is configured
in Vista Home Premium. Attachment Manager (AM), which from my understanding
is a more generic mechanism, used by IE, Outlook and even third party
applications provides protection against running applications that came from
unsecure sources.

Without the Group Policy editor, ( missing from Vista Home Premium, and
possibly removed as part of SP1 from all Vista versions) we no longer have an
easy way to configure AM settings to allow Execution from UNC shares.

I'll try some of your suggestions, but I want to be very precise and only
open a security hole to run an executable from my UNC share(s) and not to
remove security in general. Any insights on how to do that ?

Bye for Now

"Robert L. (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It could be the IE 7 enhanced security. This post may help. Please post back
> with the result.
>
> Windows cannot access the ...Now, whenever I run a executable file from a
> network drive on other server ... Step by step troubleshooting VISTA sharing
> .... Troubleshooting Vista Wireless ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2510
>

> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> "Kirk" <Kirk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > Did you ever get a working solution ?
> >
> > I too, have been looking for an answer. Previously (XP Pro) we could have
> > used gpedit.msc to edit the system's policy to access the EXE without the
> > security message, but this is not available (but offered quite frequently
> > as
> > the solution) when using Vista Home Premium.
> >
> > I am concerned that MS' marketing gruop has under estimated the needs of
> > the
> > "HOME" user when they 'slice and diced' Vista into the various versions
> > and
> > we might need Ultimate to get full support.
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can provide.
> >

> > "dan.dan" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> I have an "application.exe" that runs perfectly if I start it with a
> >> local
> >> address like "c:\myfolder\application.exe"
> >> But if I run it with a network address like
> >> "\\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe", I systematically have an open
> >> folder security warning to confirm with a yes/no button. How can I avoid
> >> this
> >> security warning, knowing that I've already deactivated User Account
> >> Security, firewall, anti-virus, windows defender.... what else ?
> >> I did also share the folder "sharefolder"...
> >>
> >> Note that this application runs on a private network not connected to the
> >> net.
> >>
> >> Thanks for you answer(s)
> >> Dan.Dan

Kirk

Re: How to run \\mycomputer\sharefolder\application.exe ?
I am going to have to take a step back on this one, as one of my assumptions
turned out to be incorrect. Since I have run CASPOL and wasn’t getting
DotNet’s security messages I assumed that I could use a DotNet application
for testing access to the share. Unfortunately after not getting any positive
results I decided to copy over NOTEPAD.exe to the share and it executed
correctly.

So, now I need to double check everything and use a different EXE for the
test. Yes NOTEPAD worked, but not knowing if MS “signed” the file, I will
need to use a third-party file unsigned file to determine if DotNet's
security is the cause or was it Vista's.

Thanks for the help, I’ll post my results/next questions when I complete my
new base line.