Cannot successfully network my old Win 2k PC to my new Vista PC

kanowna@roadrunner.com

Cannot successfully network my old Win 2k PC to my new Vista PC

Hello,

I am trying to set up a network between my new Vista machine and my old
Win 2k machine, so that I can easily share files, but I can't get it off
the ground.

My new machine is an AMD 6000+ series dual-core processor with Vista
with 3 GB RAM. My old machine has Win 2k and uses a P4 processor and 1
GB of RAM.

I have an SMC router (SMC7004ABR), and my broadband connection is by
cable.

My Internet connections are up and running on both PCs, no problem.

I went into my old PC and checked the netword area and I do have a
'Local Area Connection' icon, so I assume that is OK.

On the new (Vista) PC, I can also see the network connection.

I know the computer names for my new and old PCs, and the Workgroup
shows as the same name on both PCs (I think this is required).

Here is my problem: In the network area on my Vista PC I only see my
new computer name, whereas previously I was able to see the computer
name for my old PC. I don't know why this has happened.

Beyond that, I don't know how to proceed to complete the setup of the
networking.

Can someone make some suggestions? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Joe

--
kanowna@roadrunner.com
Malke

Re: Cannot successfully network my old Win 2k PC to my new VistaPC
kanowna@roadrunner.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to set up a network between my new Vista machine and my old
> Win 2k machine, so that I can easily share files, but I can't get it off
> the ground.
>
> My new machine is an AMD 6000+ series dual-core processor with Vista
> with 3 GB RAM. My old machine has Win 2k and uses a P4 processor and 1
> GB of RAM.
>
> I have an SMC router (SMC7004ABR), and my broadband connection is by
> cable.
>
> My Internet connections are up and running on both PCs, no problem.
>
> I went into my old PC and checked the netword area and I do have a
> 'Local Area Connection' icon, so I assume that is OK.
>
> On the new (Vista) PC, I can also see the network connection.
>
> I know the computer names for my new and old PCs, and the Workgroup
> shows as the same name on both PCs (I think this is required).
>
> Here is my problem: In the network area on my Vista PC I only see my
> new computer name, whereas previously I was able to see the computer
> name for my old PC. I don't know why this has happened.
>
> Beyond that, I don't know how to proceed to complete the setup of the
> networking.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
files and folders:

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. If you aren't running a third-party firewall
or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton
2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. With third-party
firewalls, I usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex.
would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your
correct subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. Presumably you have a
third-party firewall running on Win2k and you would need to configure it
like this.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup.
This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do
not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
this link work for both XP and Vista, although I don't remember if it
works for Win2k:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Then create shares as desired.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
kanowna@roadrunner.com

Re: Cannot successfully network my old Win 2k PC to my new Vista PC

Malke,

First, thank you very much for your quick reply! Your suggestions look
very useful. I need to leave my home for some chores at this time but I
look forward to trying your ideas when I return tonight.

Again, many thanks!

Joe

--
kanowna@roadrunner.com
Malke

Re: Cannot successfully network my old Win 2k PC to my new VistaPC
kanowna@roadrunner.com wrote:
> Malke,
>
> First, thank you very much for your quick reply! Your suggestions look
> very useful. I need to leave my home for some chores at this time but I
> look forward to trying your ideas when I return tonight.

You're welcome, Joe. Post back if you need more help. Remember, the key
is proper firewall configuration and matching user accounts on the Win2k
box.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP
rsergio

Re: Cannot successfully network my old Win 2k PC to my new Vista PC

Instead of the tool adviced below I recommend you to get 'LogonExpert
Windows Autologon' (http://www.logonexpert.com) util, because it keeps
your password AES encrypted, not plain text as util below.arty:

'Configure Windows XP to Automatically Login'