Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA

=?Utf-8?B?bWF4aW11cw==?=

Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA
Hi, i've got a BT Homehub Wireless network set up which my Desktop PC
(Windows XP) has quite happily connected to and works flawlessly with. The
problem i've got is that my Dell laptop has Vista installed, and although the
BT helpdesk has been through the setup and config a number of times now, i
cannot get the laptop to stay connected Wirelessly for more than 5 minutes.
Everytime i connect it to the wireless network it works fine for approx 5
minutes then the same thing happens, all of a sudden the status icon changes
to limited connectivity and i lose the Wireless internet connection. I then
have to connect by the ethernet to get onto the internet, unless i reboot the
laptop and go through the whole set up process again.. which will give me
another 5 minutes wireless connection only!!

Can anybody help?
thanks
Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA
"maximus" <maximus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i've got a BT Homehub Wireless network set up which my Desktop PC
> (Windows XP) has quite happily connected to and works flawlessly with. The
> problem i've got is that my Dell laptop has Vista installed, and although
> the
> BT helpdesk has been through the setup and config a number of times now, i
> cannot get the laptop to stay connected Wirelessly for more than 5
> minutes.
> Everytime i connect it to the wireless network it works fine for approx 5
> minutes then the same thing happens, all of a sudden the status icon
> changes
> to limited connectivity and i lose the Wireless internet connection. I
> then
> have to connect by the ethernet to get onto the internet, unless i reboot
> the
> laptop and go through the whole set up process again.. which will give me
> another 5 minutes wireless connection only!!
>
> Can anybody help?
> thanks

Off hand I would check to see if you wireless hardware has any power save
function that you could disable.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

john

Re: Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA

news90E2994-DD5F-4777-8113-3DB33AE02D1E@microsoft.com...
> "maximus" <maximus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi, i've got a BT Homehub Wireless network set up which my Desktop PC
>> (Windows XP) has quite happily connected to and works flawlessly with.
>> The
>> problem i've got is that my Dell laptop has Vista installed, and although
>> the
>> BT helpdesk has been through the setup and config a number of times now,
>> cannot get the laptop to stay connected Wirelessly for more than 5
>> minutes.
>> Everytime i connect it to the wireless network it works fine for approx 5
>> minutes then the same thing happens, all of a sudden the status icon
>> changes
>> to limited connectivity and i lose the Wireless internet connection. I
>> then
>> have to connect by the ethernet to get onto the internet, unless i reboot
>> the
>> laptop and go through the whole set up process again.. which will give me
>> another 5 minutes wireless connection only!!
>>
>> Can anybody help?
>> thanks

> Off hand I would check to see if you wireless hardware has any power save
> function that you could disable.
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> mutual benefit of all of us...
> rights...

I have a similar problem. I have a dsl router with a xp pro box connected
with cat 5 and a vista laptop connected with wireless. Transferring large
files results in a dropped connected, after about 5 mins. The interesting
part is this does not happen if both machines are connected with cat 5, only
when the vista machine is connected with wireless.
I will investigate further and follow this thread.

john

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA
Maximus,

I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. If you're still experiencing
intermittent connectivity, there are a number of possibilities. First check
that there isn't a mismatch between the security settings on your machine,
and the wireless AP. Typically, this results in a disconnect every 3 minutes.

The problem might also be an improperly functioning or outdated wireless
network adapter driver. To remedy this, obtain and install the most recent
version of the wireless network adapter driver.

Finally, the problem might be an issue with your wireless AP. Look at the
trace logs for unexpected disconnects.

Hope this helps.

"maximus" wrote:

> Hi, i've got a BT Homehub Wireless network set up which my Desktop PC
> (Windows XP) has quite happily connected to and works flawlessly with. The
> problem i've got is that my Dell laptop has Vista installed, and although the
> BT helpdesk has been through the setup and config a number of times now, i
> cannot get the laptop to stay connected Wirelessly for more than 5 minutes.
> Everytime i connect it to the wireless network it works fine for approx 5
> minutes then the same thing happens, all of a sudden the status icon changes
> to limited connectivity and i lose the Wireless internet connection. I then
> have to connect by the ethernet to get onto the internet, unless i reboot the
> laptop and go through the whole set up process again.. which will give me
> another 5 minutes wireless connection only!!
>
> Can anybody help?
> thanks

=?Utf-8?B?bWF4aW11cw==?=

RE: Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA
Hi thanks for the reply.

Im not too sure what you mean, how do i check if there's a security mismatch?
I am experiencing disconnects about every 3 minutes, the icon changes to
Limited Connectivity every time and i end up with Local access only and no
internet.

Ive tried updating the driver for my wireless adaptor and it says Windows
has decided it's got the latest version already.. details:

Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop
Intel Pro Wireless 3945 ABG Network Connection
Driver: 10.6.0.29 (30/10/2006)

Anymore ideas and where do i find the trace logs?

regards

"Kim [MS]" wrote:

> Maximus,
>
> I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. If you're still experiencing
> intermittent connectivity, there are a number of possibilities. First check
> that there isn't a mismatch between the security settings on your machine,
> and the wireless AP. Typically, this results in a disconnect every 3 minutes.
>
> The problem might also be an improperly functioning or outdated wireless
> network adapter driver. To remedy this, obtain and install the most recent
> version of the wireless network adapter driver.
>
> Finally, the problem might be an issue with your wireless AP. Look at the
> trace logs for unexpected disconnects.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> "maximus" wrote:
>
> > Hi, i've got a BT Homehub Wireless network set up which my Desktop PC
> > (Windows XP) has quite happily connected to and works flawlessly with. The
> > problem i've got is that my Dell laptop has Vista installed, and although the
> > BT helpdesk has been through the setup and config a number of times now, i
> > cannot get the laptop to stay connected Wirelessly for more than 5 minutes.
> > Everytime i connect it to the wireless network it works fine for approx 5
> > minutes then the same thing happens, all of a sudden the status icon changes
> > to limited connectivity and i lose the Wireless internet connection. I then
> > have to connect by the ethernet to get onto the internet, unless i reboot the
> > laptop and go through the whole set up process again.. which will give me
> > another 5 minutes wireless connection only!!
> >
> > Can anybody help?
> > thanks

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA
maximus,

For diagnostics, first run Diagnose on your wireless adapter. Do this by
right-clicking on your network icon in the system tray. Then select Network
and Sharing Center. From there, click on Manage network connections in the
left-hand navigation bar. Then, right click on your wireless connection and
choose Diagnose. The results should indicate if you have a security mismatch
with your AP.

Please post back with your results.

As you asked, to generate wireless diagnostics logs, click Start, right
click Computer, click Manage. Click Reliability and Performance, click Data
Collector sets, click System, right click Wireless Diagnostics, and then
click Start to run the wireless diagnostic tracing.

Attempt to reproduce the connect/disconnect error condition.

In the same Computer Management console, in Reliability and Performance/Data
Collector set/System, right click Wireless Diagnostics, and then click Stop
to stop the tracing (it's a performance hit to keep it running).

Click Reports, then click System, click Wireless Diagnostics, and then click
Wireless to open the top level of the report.

"maximus" wrote:

> Hi thanks for the reply.
>
> Im not too sure what you mean, how do i check if there's a security mismatch?
> I am experiencing disconnects about every 3 minutes, the icon changes to
> Limited Connectivity every time and i end up with Local access only and no
> internet.
>
> Ive tried updating the driver for my wireless adaptor and it says Windows
> has decided it's got the latest version already.. details:
>
> Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop
> Intel Pro Wireless 3945 ABG Network Connection
> Driver: 10.6.0.29 (30/10/2006)
>
> Anymore ideas and where do i find the trace logs?
>
> regards
>

> "Kim [MS]" wrote:
>
> > Maximus,
> >
> > I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. If you're still experiencing
> > intermittent connectivity, there are a number of possibilities. First check
> > that there isn't a mismatch between the security settings on your machine,
> > and the wireless AP. Typically, this results in a disconnect every 3 minutes.
> >
> > The problem might also be an improperly functioning or outdated wireless
> > network adapter driver. To remedy this, obtain and install the most recent
> > version of the wireless network adapter driver.
> >
> > Finally, the problem might be an issue with your wireless AP. Look at the
> > trace logs for unexpected disconnects.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > "maximus" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, i've got a BT Homehub Wireless network set up which my Desktop PC
> > > (Windows XP) has quite happily connected to and works flawlessly with. The
> > > problem i've got is that my Dell laptop has Vista installed, and although the
> > > BT helpdesk has been through the setup and config a number of times now, i
> > > cannot get the laptop to stay connected Wirelessly for more than 5 minutes.
> > > Everytime i connect it to the wireless network it works fine for approx 5
> > > minutes then the same thing happens, all of a sudden the status icon changes
> > > to limited connectivity and i lose the Wireless internet connection. I then
> > > have to connect by the ethernet to get onto the internet, unless i reboot the
> > > laptop and go through the whole set up process again.. which will give me
> > > another 5 minutes wireless connection only!!
> > >
> > > Can anybody help?
> > > thanks

Henrootje

Re: Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA
The Vista 64bit beta F5D7000 V6 driver did it for me. (even though my
card is the first version of the F5D7000)
Combined with completely(!) shutting down DHCP on router and Vista and
setting WPA2.

Ignoring either one of these conditions killed internet on my Vista.

On 28 mrt, 15:42, Kim [MS] <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> maximus,
>
> For diagnostics, first run Diagnose on your wireless adapter. Do this by
> right-clicking on your network icon in the system tray. Then select Network
> and Sharing Center. From there, click on Manage network connections in the
> left-hand navigation bar. Then, right click on your wireless connection and
> choose Diagnose. The results should indicate if you have a security mismatch
> with your AP.
>
> Please post back with your results.
>
> As you asked, to generate wireless diagnostics logs, click Start, right
> click Computer, click Manage. Click Reliability and Performance, click Data
> Collector sets, click System, right click Wireless Diagnostics, and then
> click Start to run the wireless diagnostic tracing.
>
> Attempt to reproduce the connect/disconnect error condition.
>
> In the same Computer Management console, in Reliability and Performance/Data
> Collector set/System, right click Wireless Diagnostics, and then click Stop
> to stop the tracing (it's a performance hit to keep it running).
>
> Click Reports, then click System, click Wireless Diagnostics, and then click
> Wireless to open the top level of the report.
>

> "maximus" wrote:
> > Hi thanks for the reply.

> > Im not too sure what you mean, how do i check if there's a security mismatch?
> > I am experiencing disconnects about every 3 minutes, the icon changes to
> > Limited Connectivity every time and i end up with Local access only and no
> > internet.

> > Ive tried updating the driver for my wireless adaptor and it says Windows
> > has decided it's got the latest version already.. details:

> > Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop
> > Intel Pro Wireless 3945 ABG Network Connection
> > Driver: 10.6.0.29 (30/10/2006)

> > Anymore ideas and where do i find the trace logs?

> > regards

> > "Kim [MS]" wrote:

> > > Maximus,

> > > I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. If you're still experiencing
> > > intermittent connectivity, there are a number of possibilities. First check
> > > that there isn't a mismatch between the security settings on your machine,
> > > and the wireless AP. Typically, this results in a disconnect every 3 minutes.

> > > The problem might also be an improperly functioning or outdated wireless
> > > network adapter driver. To remedy this, obtain and install the most recent
> > > version of the wireless network adapter driver.

> > > Finally, the problem might be an issue with your wireless AP. Look at the
> > > trace logs for unexpected disconnects.

> > > Hope this helps.

Badger_234

Re: Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA

I just bought a new vista laptop. I have 3 xp machines connecting to my
wireless router without any problem.
This vista machine loses connection after a few minutes. then only a
reboot will fix it.
Sometimes i reboot and it will not connect at all.

--
Badger_234
Badger_234's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/badger_234.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Frank Parmelee

Re: Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA
I am glad you posted this problem, I am having very similar problems with a
brand new notebook as well.

I hope someone gives us an answer to our problem soon. It is a hassle to
keep reconnecting and or rebooting all the time.

--
Make a Great Day
Frank Parmelee
"Badger_234" <Badger_234.3opmbc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I just bought a new vista laptop. I have 3 xp machines connecting to my
> wireless router without any problem.
> This vista machine loses connection after a few minutes. then only a
> reboot will fix it.
> Sometimes i reboot and it will not connect at all.
>

> --
> Badger_234
> Badger_234's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/badger_234.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ork/699905.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Frank Parmelee

Re: Wireless Connection keeps dropping with VISTA
Doing some more digging found this and thought I'd share with you.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...2-2c7f41981bfc