Cannot view shared drive on the network

ronkemorawo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannot view shared drive on the network
I have a user with a french vista laptop. Every other person are joined to the domain and can view other systems (boths XP and Vista) on the network. They can share files and access shared drive. This user however is not joined to the domain and can view any other system on the network. He can view but not access other vista systems. he cannot ping any system on the network and cannot access any shared drive. He can however access network printer. I will like him to be able to access te shared drive, how do i go about it? thanks
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot view shared drive on the network
If the Vista doesn't join the domain it could the permission issue. We also
need to figure out why he can't ping. Can he ping others IP?

Vista troubleshootingVista Issues. Networking between Vista and other
Windows OS · Other computers can't see Vista ... Info: Step by step
troubleshooting VISTA sharing ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vista.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"ronkemorawo" <ronkemorawo.34fb44@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:ronkemorawo.34fb44@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I have a user with a french vista laptop. Every other person are joined
> to the domain and can view other systems (boths XP and Vista) on the
> network. They can share files and access shared drive. This user however
> is not joined to the domain and can view any other system on the
> network. He can view but not access other vista systems. he cannot ping
> any system on the network and cannot access any shared drive. He can
> however access network printer. I will like him to be able to access te
> shared drive, how do i go about it? thanks
>

> --
> ronkemorawo

Mick Murphy

RE: Cannot view shared drive on the network
Vista "Home" versions can not join domains.

"ronkemorawo" wrote:

> I have a user with a french vista laptop. Every other person are joined
> to the domain and can view other systems (boths XP and Vista) on the
> network. They can share files and access shared drive. This user however
> is not joined to the domain and can view any other system on the
> network. He can view but not access other vista systems. he cannot ping
> any system on the network and cannot access any shared drive. He can
> however access network printer. I will like him to be able to access te
> shared drive, how do i go about it? thanks
>

> --
> ronkemorawo

ronkemorawo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't want want to join the vista to the domain except as a last resort. The Vista can now ping other devices for some funny reasons now, I removed the firewall though. What permission issue do I have and how do I resolve it please
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Cannot view shared drive on the network
The simple solution is create the domain username with the same password on
the local computer without joining the domain. Or this search result may
help.

workgroup networking faqsWorkgroup Networking FAQs. How can I share files
between workgroup computer and domain/workgroup computer How to change
computer name and workgroup name ...
www.chicagotech.net/workgroupnet.htm

--

"ronkemorawo" <ronkemorawo.34gjk6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:ronkemorawo.34gjk6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I don't want want to join the vista to the domain except as a last
> resort. The Vista can now ping other devices for some funny reasons now,
> I removed the firewall though. What permission issue do I have and how
> do I resolve it please
>

> --
> ronkemorawo

ronkemorawo is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a way to fix it
What I did was to install client for microsoft network from my network connection by right clicking on a network connection, choose properties and click install. Follow the prompt and restart your system or just remove disable and re-enable the connection.
Thank you all for your contributions