Vista VPN causes local network shares to disconnect

t_jahns@yahoo.com

Vista VPN causes local network shares to disconnect
Has anyone else come across this yet? When I connect to a Win2003
server across the public internet via a Vista PPTP VPN client, after
several hours (or days) of leaving the connection active, connectivity
to my network shares (on a local Win2003 server) is lost. This
doesn't happen with the Windows XP VPN client in the same environment.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista VPN causes local network shares to disconnect
Is the server also DC? The VPN may create a virtual multihomed server so that the server have a name resolution. These search results may help,

Name resolution on VPN
That reason is that VPN server is a Virtual Multihomed Server. The resolution is to disable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP and DNS register on all interfaces including ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/nameresolutionpnvpn.htm -

windows vpn as a router
Connectivity issue after enabling VPN in multihomed server ... After you configure the RRAS as a virtual private network (VPN) server in Windows 2000 Server ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vpnasrouter.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
<t_jahns@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1173248408.904485.7390@64g2000cwx.googlegroup s.com...
Has anyone else come across this yet? When I connect to a Win2003
server across the public internet via a Vista PPTP VPN client, after
several hours (or days) of leaving the connection active, connectivity
to my network shares (on a local Win2003 server) is lost. This
doesn't happen with the Windows XP VPN client in the same environment.

t_jahns@yahoo.com

Re: Vista VPN causes local network shares to disconnect
Yes, both the remote and local servers are DCs (they're WinSBS's), but
I fail to see how that has anything to do with it. The problem occurs
with Vista but not with other XP clients (both are in the same
environment on the client's local domain). In fact if I boot up one
of my desktops with XP, the problem does not occur but if I boot the
*same* desktop computer up with Vista (via a 2nd HDD), the problem
does occur.

On Mar 7, 11:33 am, "Robert L [MVP - Networking]"
<nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is the server also DC? The VPN may create a virtual multihomed server so that the server have a name resolution. These search results may help,
>
> Name resolution on VPN
> That reason is that VPN server is a Virtual Multihomed Server. The resolution is to disable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP and DNS register on all interfaces including ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/nameresolutionpnvpn.htm-
>
> windows vpn as a router
> Connectivity issue after enabling VPN in multihomed server ... After you configure the RRAS as a virtual private network (VPN) server in Windows 2000 Server ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/vpnasrouter.htm
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com <t_ja...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1173248408.904485.7390@64g2000cwx.goog legroups.com...
>
> Has anyone else come across this yet? When I connect to a Win2003
> server across the public internet via a Vista PPTP VPN client, after
> several hours (or days) of leaving the connection active, connectivity
> to my network shares (on a local Win2003 server) is lost. This
> doesn't happen with the Windows XP VPN client in the same environment.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista VPN causes local network shares to disconnect
Is the windows 2003 server or SBS? Do you have an internal DNS? If yes, check the DNS record. Do you have the DC registers two A records?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

<nore...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Is the server also DC? The VPN may create a virtual multihomed server so that the server have a name resolution. These search results may help,
>
> Name resolution on VPN
> That reason is that VPN server is a Virtual Multihomed Server. The resolution is to disable NetBIOS Over TCP/IP and DNS register on all interfaces including ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/nameresolutionpnvpn.htm-
>
> windows vpn as a router
> Connectivity issue after enabling VPN in multihomed server ... After you configure the RRAS as a virtual private network (VPN) server in Windows 2000 Server ...
> http://www.chicagotech.net/vpnasrouter.htm
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting onhttp://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access onhttp://www.HowToNetworking.com <t_ja...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:1173248408.904485.7390@64g2000cwx.goog legroups.com...
>
> Has anyone else come across this yet? When I connect to a Win2003
> server across the public internet via a Vista PPTP VPN client, after
> several hours (or days) of leaving the connection active, connectivity
> to my network shares (on a local Win2003 server) is lost. This
> doesn't happen with the Windows XP VPN client in the same environment.

t_jahns@yahoo.com

Re: Vista VPN causes local network shares to disconnect
Both local and remote servers are Windows 2003 SBS SP1. Both have an
internal DNS. There was only one A record for the Vista machine in
the local server's DNS. Note that this problem also occured with
Vista RC1. It's the reason I gave up using it.