Vista networking

Tiffany

Vista networking
I am having an issue with seeing the computers I have networked together.
All together there are five computers. All of them show in the network map
on all of the computers. I have disabled the password, enabled the network
locating (file sharing, etc...), and checked the TCP settings. The following
are what I have found:

1) The 3 computers that talk see all 5 computers, but when you try to get
into one of the two that don't talk it tells you that the network path is
invalid.
2) If I try to ping the two computers that won't talk from any of the 3
computers that are talking my request is timed out.
3) If I go to view computers and devices on the two that don't talk only the
three that are talking show up. If I go to view computers and devices on the
three that are talking all 5 are there. However, If i try to open either of
the two computers that aren't talking it tells me the network path is invalid.

I need to get these two computers to comunicate with each other and with the
three other computers. Anyone got any suggestions?
JBone1976

RE: Vista networking
Hello. You might want to try out the HomeNet Manager software - it helped me
setup my mixed network for file and printer sharing:

http://www.homenetmanager.com

Good luck!

"Tiffany" wrote:

> I am having an issue with seeing the computers I have networked together.
> All together there are five computers. All of them show in the network map
> on all of the computers. I have disabled the password, enabled the network
> locating (file sharing, etc...), and checked the TCP settings. The following
> are what I have found:
>
> 1) The 3 computers that talk see all 5 computers, but when you try to get
> into one of the two that don't talk it tells you that the network path is
> invalid.
> 2) If I try to ping the two computers that won't talk from any of the 3
> computers that are talking my request is timed out.
> 3) If I go to view computers and devices on the two that don't talk only the
> three that are talking show up. If I go to view computers and devices on the
> three that are talking all 5 are there. However, If i try to open either of
> the two computers that aren't talking it tells me the network path is invalid.
>
> I need to get these two computers to comunicate with each other and with the
> three other computers. Anyone got any suggestions?

Mick Murphy

RE: Vista networking
Tiffany, you don't say what OSs they are, XP/vista or vista/vista!

How to give Permissions are there, too.

If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"Tiffany" wrote:

> I am having an issue with seeing the computers I have networked together.
> All together there are five computers. All of them show in the network map
> on all of the computers. I have disabled the password, enabled the network
> locating (file sharing, etc...), and checked the TCP settings. The following
> are what I have found:
>
> 1) The 3 computers that talk see all 5 computers, but when you try to get
> into one of the two that don't talk it tells you that the network path is
> invalid.
> 2) If I try to ping the two computers that won't talk from any of the 3
> computers that are talking my request is timed out.
> 3) If I go to view computers and devices on the two that don't talk only the
> three that are talking show up. If I go to view computers and devices on the
> three that are talking all 5 are there. However, If i try to open either of
> the two computers that aren't talking it tells me the network path is invalid.
>
> I need to get these two computers to comunicate with each other and with the
> three other computers. Anyone got any suggestions?

Tiffany

RE: Vista networking
All of the OS's are Vista except 1 it is XP Pro. The XP Pro one is one of
the ones that work. I went to the link and all of the settings are set as
indicated (Which is probably why I see all 5 computers on all of the 5
computers network maps). All of the computers are in the same workgroup, all
of the firewalls are disabled, all of the computers are set to private,
netwrok discovery is on, file sharing is on, public folder sharing and
printer sharing are on, password protect is off, media sharing is off. I am
stumped

Thank you For helping.

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Tiffany, you don't say what OSs they are, XP/vista or vista/vista!

> How to give Permissions are there, too.
>
> If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
> settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>

> "Tiffany" wrote:
>
> > I am having an issue with seeing the computers I have networked together.
> > All together there are five computers. All of them show in the network map
> > on all of the computers. I have disabled the password, enabled the network
> > locating (file sharing, etc...), and checked the TCP settings. The following
> > are what I have found:
> >
> > 1) The 3 computers that talk see all 5 computers, but when you try to get
> > into one of the two that don't talk it tells you that the network path is
> > invalid.
> > 2) If I try to ping the two computers that won't talk from any of the 3
> > computers that are talking my request is timed out.
> > 3) If I go to view computers and devices on the two that don't talk only the
> > three that are talking show up. If I go to view computers and devices on the
> > three that are talking all 5 are there. However, If i try to open either of
> > the two computers that aren't talking it tells me the network path is invalid.
> >
> > I need to get these two computers to comunicate with each other and with the
> > three other computers. Anyone got any suggestions?

Tiffany

RE: Vista networking
They are all vista except one. Thats XP Pro. The XP is one of the ones that
work. All of the properties are set exactly like it says in the link you put
up. They are all in the same workgroup, they are all private, Network
discovery to printer sharing are on, password and media are off, firewalls
are all off (for now). I am stumped. Even if I can't get into these
computers on the network, I should be able to ping them and I can't.

Thanks for the help.

Tiffany

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> Tiffany, you don't say what OSs they are, XP/vista or vista/vista!

> How to give Permissions are there, too.
>
> If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
> settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:

> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)

> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>

> "Tiffany" wrote:
>
> > I am having an issue with seeing the computers I have networked together.
> > All together there are five computers. All of them show in the network map
> > on all of the computers. I have disabled the password, enabled the network
> > locating (file sharing, etc...), and checked the TCP settings. The following
> > are what I have found:
> >
> > 1) The 3 computers that talk see all 5 computers, but when you try to get
> > into one of the two that don't talk it tells you that the network path is
> > invalid.
> > 2) If I try to ping the two computers that won't talk from any of the 3
> > computers that are talking my request is timed out.
> > 3) If I go to view computers and devices on the two that don't talk only the
> > three that are talking show up. If I go to view computers and devices on the
> > three that are talking all 5 are there. However, If i try to open either of
> > the two computers that aren't talking it tells me the network path is invalid.
> >
> > I need to get these two computers to comunicate with each other and with the
> > three other computers. Anyone got any suggestions?

Tiffany

RE: Vista networking
Theya re all Vista except on, which is XP Pro. The XP works fine. All of
the settings are correct. Same workgroup name, same private setting, netwrok
discovery to printer sharing are on, password and media are off, all
firewalls are off (for now). Even if I can't open these 2 computers from the
three that work, I should be able to ping them and I can't?

Thanks for all of the help.

Tiffany