Problem connecting to devices on my network.

Nefzen

Problem connecting to devices on my network.
Hello. I am trying to add a new device to my currently existing wireless
network, and I need to access my wireless router to find out what the
encription code that I set in my network is.

However, when I enter in the IP in my explorer bar, I am asked for a user
name and password before accessing. My router does not have a user name or
password ><

Using any my admin name and password does not work, and neither does putting
WORKGROUP/username in for the user name.

If anyone could help me, I would be gratefull.
Malke

Re: Problem connecting to devices on my network.
Nefzen wrote:
> Hello. I am trying to add a new device to my currently existing wireless
> network, and I need to access my wireless router to find out what the
> encription code that I set in my network is.
>
> However, when I enter in the IP in my explorer bar, I am asked for a user
> name and password before accessing. My router does not have a user name or
> password ><
>
> Using any my admin name and password does not work, and neither does putting
> WORKGROUP/username in for the user name.
>
> If anyone could help me, I would be gratefull.

Your router's configuration utility *does* have a username and password.
This is what you need to enter, not anything from your computers'
various password lists. Here are general instructions for configuring a
router:

*****
Have a computer connected to the router with an ethernet cable. Examples
given are for a Linksys router. Refer to your router manual or the
router mftr.'s website for default settings if you don't have a Linksys.
Open a browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox and in the
addressbar type:

http://192.168.1.1 [enter] (this is the router's default IP address,
which varies from router to router so check your manual)

This will bring you to router's login screen. The default username is
left blank and the Linksys default password is "admin" without the
quotes. Enter that information. You are now in the router's
configuration utility. Your configuration utility may differ slightly
from mine.

Click on the Administration link at the top of the page. Enter your new
password. WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE YOU WILL NOT LOSE IT. Re-enter the
password to confirm it and click the Save Settings button at the bottom
of the page. The router will restart and present you with the login box
again. Leave the username blank and put in your new password to get back
into the configuration utility.

Now click on the Wireless link at the top of the page. Change the
Wireless Network Name (SSID) from the default to something you will
recognize. I suggest that my clients not use their family name as the
SSID. For example, you might wish to name your wireless network
"CastleAnthrax" or the like. ;-)

Click the Save Settings and when you get the prompt that your changes
were successful, click on the Wireless Security link which is right next
to the Basic Wireless Settings link (where you changed your SSID). If
you have a newish computer, you will be able to set the Security Mode to
WPA2-Personal. Do that and enter a passphrase. The passphrase is what
you will enter on any computers that are allowed to connect to the
wireless network. WRITE IT DOWN SOMEWHERE YOU WILL NOT LOSE IT.

At this point, your router is configured and if the computer you were
using to configure the router is normally going to connect wirelessly,
disconnect the ethernet cable and the computer's wireless feature should
see your new network. Enter the passphrase you created to join the
network and start surfing.
*****
If your router is not at the default username/password because you or
someone else changed it and didn't write it down and/or forgot it, then
reset the router to factory state and start over. Refer to the router's
manual or its website for how to reset the router to factory state.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Mick Murphy

RE: Problem connecting to devices on my network.
Have a look at the router's website.
Normally, (until you change them!), they are "Admin or admin ,and password.