"Local access only"!!

Srt

"Local access only"!!
Hi,
I tried post on maintenance etc but got no advice
Any ideas as to why I suddenly have this need to keep resetting the network
adapter via network sharing? (I am sure its associated here) I have just
changed ISP and their supplied router is both wireless and Ethernet. My
previous was Ethernet only. I only use Ethernet at the moment but network
sharing keeps identifying two networks. I cant merge or delete as that
option is greyed out!!
Any help advice gratefully accepted
Stuart.

Srt

Re: "Local access only"!!

"Srt" <basalt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I tried post on maintenance etc but got no advice
> Any ideas as to why I suddenly have this need to keep resetting the
> network adapter via network sharing? (I am sure its associated here) I
> have just changed ISP and their supplied router is both wireless and
> Ethernet. My previous was Ethernet only. I only use Ethernet at the moment
> but network sharing keeps identifying two networks. I cant merge or delete
> as that option is greyed out!!
> Any help advice gratefully accepted
> Stuart.

Noticed another thread below- - - sorry for duplicating.
I seem to have solved it to some degree. Reduced speed on adapter to 10mbs!
Dont know what effects that will have elsewhere though?
Stuart.

Srt

Re: "Local access only"!!

"Srt" <basalt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I tried post on maintenance etc but got no advice
> Any ideas as to why I suddenly have this need to keep resetting the
> network adapter via network sharing? (I am sure its associated here) I
> have just changed ISP and their supplied router is both wireless and
> Ethernet. My previous was Ethernet only. I only use Ethernet at the moment
> but network sharing keeps identifying two networks. I cant merge or delete
> as that option is greyed out!!
> Any help advice gratefully accepted
> Stuart.

Noticed another thread below- - - sorry for duplicating.
I seem to have solved it to some degree. Reduced speed on adapter to 10mbs!
Dont know what effects that will have elsewhere though?
Stuart.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: "Local access only"!!
Thank you for the update. Yes, Some modem or router can't go more than 10MB.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

> "Srt" <basalt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I tried post on maintenance etc but got no advice
>> Any ideas as to why I suddenly have this need to keep resetting the
>> network adapter via network sharing? (I am sure its associated here) I
>> have just changed ISP and their supplied router is both wireless and
>> Ethernet. My previous was Ethernet only. I only use Ethernet at the
>> moment but network sharing keeps identifying two networks. I cant merge
>> or delete as that option is greyed out!!
>> Any help advice gratefully accepted
>> Stuart.

> Noticed another thread below- - - sorry for duplicating.
> I seem to have solved it to some degree. Reduced speed on adapter to
> 10mbs!
> Dont know what effects that will have elsewhere though?
> Stuart.

Srt

Re: "Local access only"!!
I use a new router (supplied by ISP) which has dual capability in that it
operates in either wireless or cable Ethernet mode.
I use Ethernet as I did with older router and it may generate some confusion
for vista.
Not sure how though.
There are some references to vista incidents of "two networks" detected and
also "local Access only". But they don't seem very clear.
I tried one suggestion which is to reduce the speed of the adapter but its
not a satisfactory one to my mind and I continue to try identifying other
forms of advice/help to cure the problem so as to get back to where I was
before I changed ISP and router .