File Sharing between 2 Vista Ultimate PCs

lightlytoasted

File Sharing between 2 Vista Ultimate PCs

It seems details are needed before a solution can be found, so I will
provide all that I can.

Computer Name: Velocity
Workgroup: WORKGROUP
Private network
Net discovery: On
File sharing: On
Public folder sharing: On(read only)
Printer sharing: On
Password protected: Off
Media sharing: Off

Computer Name: Sean-PC
Workgroup: WORKGROUP
Private network
Net discovery: On
File sharing: On
Public folder sharing: On(read only)
Printer sharing: Off
Password protected: Off
Media sharing: Off

From the Velocity computer, I can open network, and double click on Sean-PC
and I can see his shared files. There is no problems in this direction.

From the Sean-PC computer, I open network, and double click Velocity and I
get a permissions/access denied error. However, I can successfully type in
the exact locations and access the files properly. I can type in
\\VELOCITY\Users\Jonathan\Music and I can read or copy files. I can type in
\\Velocity\Upload Access and I have full control of these files, I would
think that this shows the permissions to be setup properly.

But why do I still get access denied when double clicking the Velocity
computer?!?

Here's how I set my permissions:
Folder name: Upload access
Sharing tab > Share > permissions
Everyone: Co-Owner
Guest: Co-Owner
Jonathan: Owner

Security tab
Everyone: Full Control
Guest: Full Control

Folder name: Music
Sharing tab > Share > permissions
Everyone: Reader
Guest: Reader
Jonathan: Owner

Security tab
Everyone: read execute, list, read
Guest: read execute, list, read

Please help me, this doesn't make any sense. Both computers are freshly
installed last month, and both are stable. From the Sean-PC computer you
shouldn't have to type out the exact network location, you should just be
able to double click on the Velocity computer. Help, help, help
Mick Murphy

RE: File Sharing between 2 Vista Ultimate PCs

How to give Permissions are there, too.

If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..

"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> How to give Permissions are there, too.
>
> If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
> settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..

Thanks but that article is the first place that I looked for solutions. Also
neither computer has any third party firewalls, and windows firewall has an
exception for file and printer sharing on both computers. I think if it was a
firewall issue, I wouldn't be able to access the shared files by typing in
the network location.
Chuck [MVP]

Re: File Sharing between 2 Vista Ultimate PCs
On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 22:24:01 -0800, lightlytoasted
<lightlytoasted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It seems details are needed before a solution can be found, so I will
>provide all that I can.
>
>Computer Name: Velocity
>Workgroup: WORKGROUP
>Private network
>Net discovery: On
>File sharing: On
>Public folder sharing: On(read only)
>Printer sharing: On
>Password protected: Off
>Media sharing: Off
>
>Computer Name: Sean-PC
>Workgroup: WORKGROUP
>Private network
>Net discovery: On
>File sharing: On
>Public folder sharing: On(read only)
>Printer sharing: Off
>Password protected: Off
>Media sharing: Off
>
>From the Velocity computer, I can open network, and double click on Sean-PC
>and I can see his shared files. There is no problems in this direction.
>
>From the Sean-PC computer, I open network, and double click Velocity and I
>get a permissions/access denied error. However, I can successfully type in
>the exact locations and access the files properly. I can type in
>\\VELOCITY\Users\Jonathan\Music and I can read or copy files. I can type in
>\\Velocity\Upload Access and I have full control of these files, I would
>think that this shows the permissions to be setup properly.
>
>But why do I still get access denied when double clicking the Velocity
>computer?!?
>
>Here's how I set my permissions:
>Folder name: Upload access
>Sharing tab > Share > permissions
>Everyone: Co-Owner
>Guest: Co-Owner
>Jonathan: Owner
>
>Security tab
>Everyone: Full Control
>Guest: Full Control
>

>Folder name: Music
>Sharing tab > Share > permissions
>Everyone: Reader
>Guest: Reader
>Jonathan: Owner
>
>Security tab
>Everyone: read execute, list, read
>Guest: read execute, list, read
>
>Please help me, this doesn't make any sense. Both computers are freshly
>installed last month, and both are stable. From the Sean-PC computer you
>shouldn't have to type out the exact network location, you should just be
>able to double click on the Velocity computer. Help, help, help

Sean,

That's a great start at outlining the setup. To diagnose the problem, you might
look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and
"net config workstation", from each computer. Read this article, and linked
articles, and follow instructions precisely (Download browstat, and be sure to
start the Vista command window with admin privileges!):

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
JBone1976

RE: File Sharing between 2 Vista Ultimate PCs
It's possible that the problem is related to a firewall setting... I used
HomeNet Manager to help me get setup and helped me identify the blocked ports
in my firewall (I have 2 Vista PCs and an XP that did not "talk" until I
installed this as recommended by a friend):

http://www.homenetmanager.com

Good luck!

"lightlytoasted" wrote:

> It seems details are needed before a solution can be found, so I will
> provide all that I can.
>
> Computer Name: Velocity
> Workgroup: WORKGROUP
> Private network
> Net discovery: On
> File sharing: On
> Public folder sharing: On(read only)
> Printer sharing: On
> Password protected: Off
> Media sharing: Off
>
> Computer Name: Sean-PC
> Workgroup: WORKGROUP
> Private network
> Net discovery: On
> File sharing: On
> Public folder sharing: On(read only)
> Printer sharing: Off
> Password protected: Off
> Media sharing: Off
>
> From the Velocity computer, I can open network, and double click on Sean-PC
> and I can see his shared files. There is no problems in this direction.
>
> From the Sean-PC computer, I open network, and double click Velocity and I
> get a permissions/access denied error. However, I can successfully type in
> the exact locations and access the files properly. I can type in
> \\VELOCITY\Users\Jonathan\Music and I can read or copy files. I can type in
> \\Velocity\Upload Access and I have full control of these files, I would
> think that this shows the permissions to be setup properly.
>
> But why do I still get access denied when double clicking the Velocity
> computer?!?
>
> Here's how I set my permissions:
> Folder name: Upload access
> Sharing tab > Share > permissions
> Everyone: Co-Owner
> Guest: Co-Owner
> Jonathan: Owner
>
> Security tab
> Everyone: Full Control
> Guest: Full Control
>

> Folder name: Music
> Sharing tab > Share > permissions
> Everyone: Reader
> Guest: Reader
> Jonathan: Owner
>
> Security tab
> Everyone: read execute, list, read
> Guest: read execute, list, read
>
> Please help me, this doesn't make any sense. Both computers are freshly
> installed last month, and both are stable. From the Sean-PC computer you
> shouldn't have to type out the exact network location, you should just be
> able to double click on the Velocity computer. Help, help, help

lightlytoasted

Re: File Sharing between 2 Vista Ultimate PCs
Chuck,

Your blog is very informative, here are my problems so far:
1. The computers are physically and logically connected the best I can tell,
the strange but successful sharing behavior I think shows that. Once again,
I can type in \\VELOCITY\Users\Jonathan\Music and I can read or copy files, I
just can't double click on the computer on the network without getting a
access denied error.

2. My node type is Hybrid and I cannot change it. I believe that the
registry keys you describe in your article are for earlier versions of
windows, not Vista Ultimate. Neither computers have
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Param eters\DHCP Node Type or
Node Type] . Neither computers have
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Param eters EnableProxy.

3. I successfully enabled NetBIOS on Sean-PC, double checked with ipconfig
/all. I could not enable NetBIOS on VELOCITY, reveled by ipconfig /all.

4. "Browstat status" has completely no effect, just a blank line. "Browstat
listwfw workgroup" returns: Calling NetServerEnum to enumerate WFW servers. 0
WFW servers returned. 0 total. There are WFW servers with an active Browser.

I think I should start with not being able to enable NetBIOS over TCPIP. How
should I go about this? Also, how do you change node type with Windows Vista
Ultimate?

Thanks

> Sean,
>
> That's a great start at outlining the setup. To diagnose the problem, you might
> look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and
> "net config workstation", from each computer. Read this article, and linked
> articles, and follow instructions precisely (Download browstat, and be sure to
> start the Vista command window with admin privileges!):
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>
> --
> Cheers,
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: File Sharing between 2 Vista Ultimate PCs
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:20:01 -0800, lightlytoasted
<lightlytoasted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>> Sean,
>>
>> That's a great start at outlining the setup. To diagnose the problem, you might
>> look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and
>> "net config workstation", from each computer. Read this article, and linked
>> articles, and follow instructions precisely (Download browstat, and be sure to
>> start the Vista command window with admin privileges!):
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

>Chuck,
>
>Your blog is very informative, here are my problems so far:
>1. The computers are physically and logically connected the best I can tell,
>the strange but successful sharing behavior I think shows that. Once again,
>I can type in \\VELOCITY\Users\Jonathan\Music and I can read or copy files, I
>just can't double click on the computer on the network without getting a
>access denied error.
>
>2. My node type is Hybrid and I cannot change it. I believe that the
>registry keys you describe in your article are for earlier versions of
>windows, not Vista Ultimate. Neither computers have
>HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Para meters\DHCP Node Type or
>Node Type] . Neither computers have
>HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Para meters EnableProxy.
>
>3. I successfully enabled NetBIOS on Sean-PC, double checked with ipconfig
>/all. I could not enable NetBIOS on VELOCITY, reveled by ipconfig /all.
>
>4. "Browstat status" has completely no effect, just a blank line. "Browstat
>listwfw workgroup" returns: Calling NetServerEnum to enumerate WFW servers. 0
>WFW servers returned. 0 total. There are WFW servers with an active Browser.
>
>I think I should start with not being able to enable NetBIOS over TCPIP. How
>should I go about this? Also, how do you change node type with Windows Vista
>Ultimate?

Sean,

Node Type = Hybrid is normal, and won't cause problems on an otherwise properly
setup LAN. Hybrid, without a WINS server configured, will use Broadcast. Only
Peer-Peer should be a real problem.

When you say "Neither computers have
[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Param eters\DHCP Node Type or
Node Type]", how far in the key is missing? The value "Node Type" or "DHCP Node
Type" is sometimes missing, and that shouldn't be a problem. Or are you missing
more of the key than just the value ("Node Type" or "DHCP Node Type" is a
value).

Do you have a WINS server defined? That's generally why you might have Hybrid.
Do you actually have a WINS server? This is legacy technique, so please forgive
me if I sound clueless here.

How did you enable NetBT on Sean-PC, but not on Velocity? Do you get a blank
line on browstat from both computers?

Why not post logs from "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net config
workstation", from each computer, here. Seeing is believing.

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
lightlytoasted

Re: File Sharing between 2 Vista Ultimate PCs
Chuck,

Your blog, while very dense and long, turned out to be very useful. It was
quite the task really going though it, I probably spent 6 hours on it.
Anyways, I found my problems by comparing the two registries on the
computers, and something I found in your blog.

1. The value of "TransportBindName" in
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetBT\Parameters] was
empty. The value was supposed to be /Device/. (After fixing this, I was able
to enable NetBIOS over tcpip, and I was also able to run browstat which
showed no problems other than guest authentication, error 5.)

2. I set the value of "restrictanonymous" in [HKLM \System
\CurrentControlSet \Control \Lsa] to 0 as instructed by your blog. Now file
sharing works as it should, as well as with the other xp machines in the
house I was leaving out of the picture.

Something else that was a little confusing in your blog was the bit about
"Node Types". You made it sound like Hybrid could cause problems and
Broadcast was more successful, which very well could be the case. The way
that you listed the location of the key that controls the "Node Type" made it
seem like "DchpNodeType" was a folder under
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetBT\Parameters]
instead of just a DWORD within
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetBT\Parameters].
Also, "DchpNodeType" is missing from
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetBT\Parameters] in
Windows Vista which made it even more ambiguous whether it was a missing
DWORD or another folder.

Here is the behavior that I noticed:
Missing DWORD named "DchpNodeType" : Hybrid Node Type is default
Adding a key named "DchpNodeType" : Vista checks its value on start-up (1
Broadcast, 2 Peer-Peer, 4 Mixed, 8 Hybrid just like you described)

Also a note to others with similar issues, I ended up leaving my node type
as Hybrid and it works perfectly in my home of 2 vista machines and 2 xp
machines.

Thanks Chuck
Chuck [MVP]

Re: File Sharing between 2 Vista Ultimate PCs
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 20:22:00 -0800, lightlytoasted
<lightlytoasted@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Chuck,
>
>Your blog, while very dense and long, turned out to be very useful. It was
>quite the task really going though it, I probably spent 6 hours on it.
>Anyways, I found my problems by comparing the two registries on the
>computers, and something I found in your blog.
>
>1. The value of "TransportBindName" in
>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetBT\Parameters] was
>empty. The value was supposed to be /Device/. (After fixing this, I was able
>to enable NetBIOS over tcpip, and I was also able to run browstat which
>showed no problems other than guest authentication, error 5.)
>
>2. I set the value of "restrictanonymous" in [HKLM \System
>\CurrentControlSet \Control \Lsa] to 0 as instructed by your blog. Now file
>sharing works as it should, as well as with the other xp machines in the
>house I was leaving out of the picture.
>
>Something else that was a little confusing in your blog was the bit about
>"Node Types". You made it sound like Hybrid could cause problems and
>Broadcast was more successful, which very well could be the case. The way
>that you listed the location of the key that controls the "Node Type" made it
>seem like "DchpNodeType" was a folder under
>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetBT\Parameters]
>instead of just a DWORD within
>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetBT\Parameters].
>Also, "DchpNodeType" is missing from
>[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetBT\Parameters] in
>Windows Vista which made it even more ambiguous whether it was a missing
>DWORD or another folder.
>
>Here is the behavior that I noticed:
>Missing DWORD named "DchpNodeType" : Hybrid Node Type is default
>Adding a key named "DchpNodeType" : Vista checks its value on start-up (1
>Broadcast, 2 Peer-Peer, 4 Mixed, 8 Hybrid just like you described)
>
>Also a note to others with similar issues, I ended up leaving my node type
>as Hybrid and it works perfectly in my home of 2 vista machines and 2 xp
>machines.
>
>Thanks Chuck

Congrats! I have no idea how you were missing the "TransportBindName" value.
But good job on finding it. I probably would have simply checked for LSP /
Winsock / TCP/IP corruption, although I don't know that would be relevant there
anyway.

Having now spent some time in the registry, you are now aware of how many
settings there are in there. Few of them are completely inconsequential, so
there's a lot of ways that your computer could be messed up.

I don't find the registry naming conventions too user friendly, but the fact is
that "[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NetBT\Parameters]"
is a registry key, and "Node Type" and "DHCP Node Type" are registry values.
That's Microsoft terminology anyway.

I'm not surprised that "Hybrid" Node Type would work reasonably well on a small
LAN, with a decent network speed. I'll note that detail in my article.

The restrictanonymous setting is such a simple one, that has so much effect in
the oddest ways.

Anyway, congrats on getting through the problem, and thanks for the feedback.