Cannot Ping Vista Machine

danielafortier

Cannot Ping Vista Machine
I have an XP laptop (Wireless) and a Vista desktop (Wired) connected through
a liksys wireless router. I can't get the xp machine to ping the vista
machine.

All firewalls are disabled and neither machine has any anti-virus or
software. They both have connections to the internet and can even share
files.

On the vista machine I have the network discovery turned on, the network is
set to private and I have all the sharing options turned on. I even
unchecked the "local area connection" to unprotect it from the firewall.
(Even though the firewall is off).

What would keep vista from responding to pings?
Mick Murphy

RE: Cannot Ping Vista Machine

How to give Permissions are there, too.

If you are running Norton, Trend Micro, McAfee, etc’s Firewall, check its
settings to make sure it allows file and printer sharing..

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)

from an XP computer.

"danielafortier" wrote:

> I have an XP laptop (Wireless) and a Vista desktop (Wired) connected through
> a liksys wireless router. I can't get the xp machine to ping the vista
> machine.
>
> All firewalls are disabled and neither machine has any anti-virus or
> software. They both have connections to the internet and can even share
> files.
>
> On the vista machine I have the network discovery turned on, the network is
> set to private and I have all the sharing options turned on. I even
> unchecked the "local area connection" to unprotect it from the firewall.
> (Even though the firewall is off).
>
> What would keep vista from responding to pings?

danielafortier

RE: Cannot Ping Vista Machine
File and print sharing are working fine.

Not running Norton, McAfee or any firewall or anti virus software.

Workgroup names shouldn't affect icmp replies.

Network discovery is on.

Network is set to private.

File sharing is on.

Public folder sharing is on.

Password protection is off.

File and print sharing are working fine. Vista machine will not reply to
pings.

I'm trying to resolve the ping problem.

Kerry Brown

"danielafortier" <danielafortier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an XP laptop (Wireless) and a Vista desktop (Wired) connected
>through
> a liksys wireless router. I can't get the xp machine to ping the vista
> machine.
>
> All firewalls are disabled and neither machine has any anti-virus or
> software. They both have connections to the internet and can even share
> files.
>
> On the vista machine I have the network discovery turned on, the network
> is
> set to private and I have all the sharing options turned on. I even
> unchecked the "local area connection" to unprotect it from the firewall.
> (Even though the firewall is off).
>
> What would keep vista from responding to pings?

Can the Vista computer ping the XP computer by name and by IP address? Have
you tried pinging the Vista computer both by name and by IP address? Were
the errors the same? Was there ever any 3rd party AV/security software
installed on the Vista computer? If yes then what was it?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Henri

"danielafortier" wrote:

> I have an XP laptop (Wireless) and a Vista desktop (Wired) connected through
> a liksys wireless router. I can't get the xp machine to ping the vista
> machine.
>
> All firewalls are disabled and neither machine has any anti-virus or
> software. They both have connections to the internet and can even share
> files.
>
> On the vista machine I have the network discovery turned on, the network is
> set to private and I have all the sharing options turned on. I even
> unchecked the "local area connection" to unprotect it from the firewall.
> (Even though the firewall is off).
>
> What would keep vista from responding to pings?

sunilnagle

Re: Cannot Ping Vista Machine

danielafortier

I understand that your Windows XP (wireless) is not able to ping vista
which is wired to the router.

You will be able to ping from Windows Vista to Windows XP, because the
ping reply packet from windows xp would be a unicast.

You will not be able to initiate the ping from windows xp, as the xp
machine tries to broadcast for name resolution (if you are using netbios
system name), if you are using ip address (then xp would use arp
broadcast). Both these broadcast are blocked as xp is on wireless.

You need to create a static entry for netbios computer to ip address
and then a static arp entry for ip address to mac address

Go to the following path

C: -> Windows -> System32 -> Drivers -> Etc

From the top menu, select Tools, Folder Options, View tab

Uncheck the option which says (Hide extensions for known file types)

Now, you should see a file which says: lmhosts.sam

select the file, press F2 (Function 2 Key) on you keyboard, remove .sam

Know the file should look like: lmhosts

Open the file in the notepad and the following line at the end of the
file:

ip address of the vista machine system name #PRE

For example:

192.168.1.2 Sys3 #PRE

and close the notepad, and save

Now go to the command prompt and type:

nbtstat -R
nbtstat -c

you should see the system name to ip address mapping

--------------------

Now you need to create static arp entry, with the help of following
command at the command prompt:

arp -s <ip address> <mac adress of the vista machine>

for example:

arp -s 192.168.1.3 00-1c-41-61-c8-36

Now type the following commands to confirm if the static enrty has been
added:

arp -a

Now, you should be able to ping with the help of ip address and system
name and thereby try to print wireless.

--
sunilnagle
sunilnagle's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/111992.htm