Local Area Connnection > Local Only

Phil H.

Local Area Connnection > Local Only
Windows Vista
Multiple times while T/Sing Non Connection issues w/o router I have run
into where the Local Area connection states the connection is 'Local Only'

Can Ping IP Addresses and FQDN
IPConfig was normal
Release and renew does not create any errors,
Disabled all Security Programs
Disabled Windows Firewall all together
The DHCP is seing the Proper MAC for the NIC, and is assigning an IP
Address
PC is accepting the proper IP address being assigned from the DHCP Server
Disabled IPv6 and only had IPv4
Even Rebuilt TCP/IP

Though every time the Local area connection states Local Only and the PC
will not be able to get online

Questions:
Are these 2 things related and, if so, which is dependent on the
other?
(I.E. Is the PC stating Local only because it cant get online, or can it
not get online because the PC is set to Local Only)
How to resolve the causing factor (or factors if issues are not related)?

Thank you for any assistance in this matter.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Local Area Connnection > Local Only
If disabling IPv6 doesn't fix the problem, you may try to reset NIC speed
and duplex. This link may help too.

Vista Local Only and Limited or Not ConnectivityVista Local Only and Limited
or No Connectivity. Limited connectivity with Vista notebook Vista Limited
connectivity Vista: Local only - no Internet issues ...
www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistalocalonly.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net