Lost My Wireless Network :-(

Keith Russell

Lost My Wireless Network :-(
I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 on an HP Pavilion dv6676us laptop
with built-in Wi-Fi. My network is running on a 2Wire 2700HG-D
router/modem. Last night, when I rebooted after a Windows update,
I had no network. If I open the Network window, it says, "This
computer is not connected to a network. Click to connect...".
When I click there, then choose "Connect to a network", a window
pops up saying, "Windows cannot find any networks". If I click on
"View network computers and devices", it just takes me back to
the Network window.

In Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center says, "The page
failed to load".

Windows Help tells me to make sure my network adapter is enabled
in Control Panel --> Network Connections. In Network
Connections, I see nothing that refers to a network adapter; I
assume this is what displays as Wireless Network Connection,
which says "Not connected". The context menu gives me choices of
Disable and Connect/Disconnect. Selecting Connect/Disconnect
doesn't help. Disabling, Enabling, and Connecting tells me again,
"Windows cannot find any networks".

Yesterday afternoon, I had "configured" (with the wizard that
popped up when I started Word) Office 2007, repaired and
reinstalled Publisher 2002, updated The Bat! email, uninstalled
Web Research, and used Windows Update to update my Windows
Defender definitions. It was only after I rebooted when prompted
by Windows Update that the network disappeared.

I used System Restore to restore to a scheduled checkpoint from
yesterday morning. I moved the laptop into the room with the
router, just a few feet away. I reset the router. Nothing helped.

The PC I am using now has a cable connection to the router and
its network connection is good.

Can anyone help? Thanks VERY much in advance!

--
Keith
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Lost My Wireless Network :-(
You may try to disable IPv6. These search results may help.

Vista wireless connecting to 2wire ...The 2wire wireless assigns IP to the
laptop and the laptop can ping other computer in the LAN, but can't access
the Internet. The status of the Network and ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...c8ad6fbba4faa6
- Similar pages

2Wire gateway wireless issue
I ordered SBC/AT&T DSL line using 2wire gateway with wireless (one box
includes gateway, firewall, wired and wireless). The wired works fine. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...f8a271034a063d

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Keith Russell" <dtov-hb8l@xemaps.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 on an HP Pavilion dv6676us laptop
> with built-in Wi-Fi. My network is running on a 2Wire 2700HG-D
> router/modem. Last night, when I rebooted after a Windows update,
> I had no network. If I open the Network window, it says, "This
> computer is not connected to a network. Click to connect...".
> When I click there, then choose "Connect to a network", a window
> pops up saying, "Windows cannot find any networks". If I click on
> "View network computers and devices", it just takes me back to
> the Network window.
>
> In Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center says, "The page
> failed to load".
>
> Windows Help tells me to make sure my network adapter is enabled
> in Control Panel --> Network Connections. In Network
> Connections, I see nothing that refers to a network adapter; I
> assume this is what displays as Wireless Network Connection,
> which says "Not connected". The context menu gives me choices of
> Disable and Connect/Disconnect. Selecting Connect/Disconnect
> doesn't help. Disabling, Enabling, and Connecting tells me again,
> "Windows cannot find any networks".
>
> Yesterday afternoon, I had "configured" (with the wizard that
> popped up when I started Word) Office 2007, repaired and
> reinstalled Publisher 2002, updated The Bat! email, uninstalled
> Web Research, and used Windows Update to update my Windows
> Defender definitions. It was only after I rebooted when prompted
> by Windows Update that the network disappeared.
>
> I used System Restore to restore to a scheduled checkpoint from
> yesterday morning. I moved the laptop into the room with the
> router, just a few feet away. I reset the router. Nothing helped.
>
> The PC I am using now has a cable connection to the router and
> its network connection is good.
>
> Can anyone help? Thanks VERY much in advance!
>
> --
> Keith
> --
> Keith

BigT

RE: Lost My Wireless Network :-(
I've had similar problems. I was experiencing network issues and was
propmted to do an automatic update for my wireless network. Unfortunately I
cannot give you any specific error messages associated with that, however,
after the update I cannot find any network adapter, wireless or otherwise, in
control panel, networking, etc., etc. I would like to know how I can restore
the old wireless adapter in order to have at least some wireless access
vhzaldivar

RE: Lost My Wireless Network :-(
I recently changed to Vista business and had exactly the same problem except
that the first time I booted the wireless network worked fine and after
installing some updates it didn't work anymore.

My laptop has an IntelPROWireless device and the solution was quite simple
(although it took me two days to find out). When the update was done, the new
driver set the device to find only 802.11a networks (normally 2wire
modems/routers are b/g).

To solve the problem try the following:

Right-click in Computer and select Properties, then Device Manager
Find your wireless device and rigth-click to select Properties
On Properties select the Advanced tab and search for "Wireless Mode" it
should be set to "6. 802.11a/b/g" (at least this worked fine for me).

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

V├*ctor

"BigT" wrote:

> I've had similar problems. I was experiencing network issues and was
> propmted to do an automatic update for my wireless network. Unfortunately I
> cannot give you any specific error messages associated with that, however,
> after the update I cannot find any network adapter, wireless or otherwise, in
> control panel, networking, etc., etc. I would like to know how I can restore
> the old wireless adapter in order to have at least some wireless access

Bugg

RE: Lost My Wireless Network :-(
I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook and recently it's started telling me
that I don't even have a wireless network adapter installed. I've had it for
a little over a year and it's always worked. If I plug the computer directly
to the internet, I can get online and I haven't been able to find the drivers
for this problem. Can anyone help me since HP won't???

"vhzaldivar" wrote:

> I recently changed to Vista business and had exactly the same problem except
> that the first time I booted the wireless network worked fine and after
> installing some updates it didn't work anymore.
>
> My laptop has an IntelPROWireless device and the solution was quite simple
> (although it took me two days to find out). When the update was done, the new
> driver set the device to find only 802.11a networks (normally 2wire
> modems/routers are b/g).
>
> To solve the problem try the following:
>
> Right-click in Computer and select Properties, then Device Manager
> Find your wireless device and rigth-click to select Properties
> On Properties select the Advanced tab and search for "Wireless Mode" it
> should be set to "6. 802.11a/b/g" (at least this worked fine for me).
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Cheers,
>
> V├*ctor
>
> "BigT" wrote:
>
> > I've had similar problems. I was experiencing network issues and was
> > propmted to do an automatic update for my wireless network. Unfortunately I
> > cannot give you any specific error messages associated with that, however,
> > after the update I cannot find any network adapter, wireless or otherwise, in
> > control panel, networking, etc., etc. I would like to know how I can restore
> > the old wireless adapter in order to have at least some wireless access

frustration

RE: Lost My Wireless Network :-(
Same computer, same issue, same experience with HP. Does someone know how to
remedie this?

"Bugg" wrote:

> I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook and recently it's started telling me
> that I don't even have a wireless network adapter installed. I've had it for
> a little over a year and it's always worked. If I plug the computer directly
> to the internet, I can get online and I haven't been able to find the drivers
> for this problem. Can anyone help me since HP won't???
>
> "vhzaldivar" wrote:
>
> > I recently changed to Vista business and had exactly the same problem except
> > that the first time I booted the wireless network worked fine and after
> > installing some updates it didn't work anymore.
> >
> > My laptop has an IntelPROWireless device and the solution was quite simple
> > (although it took me two days to find out). When the update was done, the new
> > driver set the device to find only 802.11a networks (normally 2wire
> > modems/routers are b/g).
> >
> > To solve the problem try the following:
> >
> > Right-click in Computer and select Properties, then Device Manager
> > Find your wireless device and rigth-click to select Properties
> > On Properties select the Advanced tab and search for "Wireless Mode" it
> > should be set to "6. 802.11a/b/g" (at least this worked fine for me).
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > V├*ctor
> >
> > "BigT" wrote:
> >
> > > I've had similar problems. I was experiencing network issues and was
> > > propmted to do an automatic update for my wireless network. Unfortunately I
> > > cannot give you any specific error messages associated with that, however,
> > > after the update I cannot find any network adapter, wireless or otherwise, in
> > > control panel, networking, etc., etc. I would like to know how I can restore
> > > the old wireless adapter in order to have at least some wireless access

Bugg

RE: Lost My Wireless Network :-(
About 2 weeks after I connected my laptop to the internet with the ethernet
cable, my wireless adapter was suddenly working again, however, that only
lasted for a couple of hours. Then it was gone again. It's come back and
disappeared at least 12 times already and now I'm really getting confused.
Why does it keep coming and going? Is there anything I can do to get it to
stay? When it's not working the computer doesn't detect it at all so going to
properties to check the "wireless mode" isn't an option since it won't be on
the list.

"frustration" wrote:

> Same computer, same issue, same experience with HP. Does someone know how to
> remedie this?
>
> "Bugg" wrote:
>
> > I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook and recently it's started telling me
> > that I don't even have a wireless network adapter installed. I've had it for
> > a little over a year and it's always worked. If I plug the computer directly
> > to the internet, I can get online and I haven't been able to find the drivers
> > for this problem. Can anyone help me since HP won't???
> >
> > "vhzaldivar" wrote:
> >
> > > I recently changed to Vista business and had exactly the same problem except
> > > that the first time I booted the wireless network worked fine and after
> > > installing some updates it didn't work anymore.
> > >
> > > My laptop has an IntelPROWireless device and the solution was quite simple
> > > (although it took me two days to find out). When the update was done, the new
> > > driver set the device to find only 802.11a networks (normally 2wire
> > > modems/routers are b/g).
> > >
> > > To solve the problem try the following:
> > >
> > > Right-click in Computer and select Properties, then Device Manager
> > > Find your wireless device and rigth-click to select Properties
> > > On Properties select the Advanced tab and search for "Wireless Mode" it
> > > should be set to "6. 802.11a/b/g" (at least this worked fine for me).
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > V├*ctor

softailtrucker

RE: Lost My Wireless Network :-(
If you go to hp.com and do the bios update for your computer and then reboot
it will fix the problem .. but only temporary. I have the same issue as you
have and low and behold everytime windows updates my pc the wireless is lost
again.

"frustration" wrote:

> Same computer, same issue, same experience with HP. Does someone know how to
> remedie this?
>
> "Bugg" wrote:
>
> > I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook and recently it's started telling me
> > that I don't even have a wireless network adapter installed. I've had it for
> > a little over a year and it's always worked. If I plug the computer directly
> > to the internet, I can get online and I haven't been able to find the drivers
> > for this problem. Can anyone help me since HP won't???
> >
> > "vhzaldivar" wrote:
> >
> > > I recently changed to Vista business and had exactly the same problem except
> > > that the first time I booted the wireless network worked fine and after
> > > installing some updates it didn't work anymore.
> > >
> > > My laptop has an IntelPROWireless device and the solution was quite simple
> > > (although it took me two days to find out). When the update was done, the new
> > > driver set the device to find only 802.11a networks (normally 2wire
> > > modems/routers are b/g).
> > >
> > > To solve the problem try the following:
> > >
> > > Right-click in Computer and select Properties, then Device Manager
> > > Find your wireless device and rigth-click to select Properties
> > > On Properties select the Advanced tab and search for "Wireless Mode" it
> > > should be set to "6. 802.11a/b/g" (at least this worked fine for me).
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > V├*ctor

zarxo

RE: Lost My Wireless Network :-(
MS is releasing updates that fail the customer. Everytime I try to do the
latest updates since the big Yahoo blitz--I even posted a warning on Mc
Clatchy News that those updates totally clean out the wifi settings. I have
manually entered the settings in the wifi radio devce and also tried MS's
wifi purpose. When I do a config check, I notice that my mac address for my
LAN has disappeared but not my mac address for my wifi card. I have my router
set up tight, so it needs both entered for some reason for the laptop to
logon. However, when I broadcast the signal, the laptop still doesnt see it
through dell's latitude d 630 radio or MS's wifi service.

Talk about crap sending crap that craps on me. I know that restore was
built for a pupose.

For those who use "keys" this is very annoying.

So, the end -user has to "open" their network to figure out how to "fix" a
MS update.--and they want to open retail stores. Geez. I'd rather see MARS
open retail stores--now that would be a success!