Network Transfer Error. Can't send large files,

IllNeverHaveYouAgain

Network Transfer Error. Can't send large files,
I'm trying to send stuff across the network but large files (>600MB) always
seem to have a high chance of failing and I get this error:

Ones that are like 300MBs and under seem to fail often but at least a few
can get through.

I have Windows Vista on each of the 3 PCs on the network. 1 is a desktop
while the other two are notebooks. I have a Netgear DG834GT router which says
it's Vista Compatible on the website.

I'm not sure when this started or if it's been an ongoing problem. I
transfered the *.gcfs (Game Cache Files) to my brother's notebook fine back
in November. They all weigh in at a gig or over. But now a small zipped mod
(200MBs) is having trouble being delivered without me getting the above
message.

Please ask if you'd like anymore information, as right now I'm not really
sure what else to provide.

I posted on Techspot and they suggested one of the PCs in my network may
need a new ethernet or wireless NIC driver. Do you guys thing this could be
it?

I'll provide HijackThis logs of each PC in the network tomorrow. Perhaps
they're infected with something, or somethings running and disrupting the
transfers? Dunno.

Any help would be appreciated.
IllNeverHaveYouAgain

RE: Network Transfer Error. Can't send large files,
Damn, there's no Edit or Modify. Sorry for the double post but I'll just add
a proper hyperlink to my screenshot:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tworkError.jpg

--
[Dell Dimension 9200] w/ [Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.66Ghz] & [3GB DDR2
SDRAM] & [{nVidia GeForce 8800GTX} w/ {768MB DDR3 VRAM}]

"IllNeverHaveYouAgain" wrote:

> I'm trying to send stuff across the network but large files (>600MB) always
> seem to have a high chance of failing and I get this error:
>

> Ones that are like 300MBs and under seem to fail often but at least a few
> can get through.
>
> I have Windows Vista on each of the 3 PCs on the network. 1 is a desktop
> while the other two are notebooks. I have a Netgear DG834GT router which says
> it's Vista Compatible on the website.
>
> I'm not sure when this started or if it's been an ongoing problem. I
> transfered the *.gcfs (Game Cache Files) to my brother's notebook fine back
> in November. They all weigh in at a gig or over. But now a small zipped mod
> (200MBs) is having trouble being delivered without me getting the above
> message.
>
> Please ask if you'd like anymore information, as right now I'm not really
> sure what else to provide.
>
> I posted on Techspot and they suggested one of the PCs in my network may
> need a new ethernet or wireless NIC driver. Do you guys thing this could be
> it?
>

> I'll provide HijackThis logs of each PC in the network tomorrow. Perhaps
> they're infected with something, or somethings running and disrupting the
> transfers? Dunno.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Network Transfer Error. Can't send large files,
You may try to disable auto-tuning. this how to may help.

Vista IPCONFIG and Network SettingsHow to: assign multiple static IPs in
Vista How to change the binding order of network providers How to disable
Auto-tuning on Windows Vista ...
www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vistaipconfig.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"IllNeverHaveYouAgain" <IllNeverHaveYouAgain@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:60025BC3-A5C2-4DC2-B642-911BD8710D21@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to send stuff across the network but large files (>600MB)
> always
> seem to have a high chance of failing and I get this error:
>

> Ones that are like 300MBs and under seem to fail often but at least a few
> can get through.
>
> I have Windows Vista on each of the 3 PCs on the network. 1 is a desktop
> while the other two are notebooks. I have a Netgear DG834GT router which
> says
> it's Vista Compatible on the website.
>
> I'm not sure when this started or if it's been an ongoing problem. I
> transfered the *.gcfs (Game Cache Files) to my brother's notebook fine
> back
> in November. They all weigh in at a gig or over. But now a small zipped
> mod
> (200MBs) is having trouble being delivered without me getting the above
> message.
>
> Please ask if you'd like anymore information, as right now I'm not really
> sure what else to provide.
>
> I posted on Techspot and they suggested one of the PCs in my network may
> need a new ethernet or wireless NIC driver. Do you guys thing this could
> be
> it?
>

> I'll provide HijackThis logs of each PC in the network tomorrow. Perhaps
> they're infected with something, or somethings running and disrupting the
> transfers? Dunno.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

IllNeverHaveYouAgain

Re: Network Transfer Error. Can't send large files,
OK. So all I do is type "netsh interface tcp set global
autotuninglevel=disabled" in Command Prompt on each of the PCs? Is that how I
disable autotuning? And why would autotuning be causing this problem by the
way? Isn't it supposed to help computers with individual firewalls
communicate with each other?

--
[Dell Dimension 9200] w/ [Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 2.66Ghz] & [3GB DDR2
SDRAM] & [{nVidia GeForce 8800GTX} w/ {768MB DDR3 VRAM}]
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Network Transfer Error. Can't send large files,
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:51:01 -0800, IllNeverHaveYouAgain
<IllNeverHaveYouAgain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>OK. So all I do is type "netsh interface tcp set global
>autotuninglevel=disabled" in Command Prompt on each of the PCs? Is that how I
>disable autotuning? And why would autotuning be causing this problem by the
>way? Isn't it supposed to help computers with individual firewalls
>communicate with each other?

Auto-Tuning requires Windows Scaling, which is a feature provided on newer
routers. It's a newer feature, though, and before Vista wasn't used so much,
which contributes to the fact that it doesn't work on all routers even if it's
supposedly included. Sometimes a firmware upgrade will make it work.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/autotuning-in-vista-maybe-not-ready-for.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ready-for.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
IllNeverHaveYouAgain

Re: Network Transfer Error. Can't send large files,
OK, thanks. I'll try it out and see if it works. Might be a week before I get
back to you though.