Vpn error 789

totomaster

Vpn error 789
Hi

I'm trying to connect to a l2tp vpn and I receive the error 789 : The l2tp
connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing
error during initial negotiations with the remote computer

This error appeared since yesterday, before I was fine.

I try with my windows xp computer and i'm able to connect

Thanks
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vpn error 789
In many cases, VPN error 789 is security settings or 3rd party software
issue. For troubleshoot it, start the Vista with clean boot.

windows faqsHow to run Windows OS with a clean boot How to stop the
Messenger Service ads How to tell who is logged on at a remote computer ...
www.howtonetworking.com/winfaqs.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"totomaster" <totomaster@news.postalias> wrote in message
news83CA13B-0973-4D75-8DF3-785D8251285B@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to connect to a l2tp vpn and I receive the error 789 : The l2tp
> connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a
> processing
> error during initial negotiations with the remote computer
>
> This error appeared since yesterday, before I was fine.
>
> I try with my windows xp computer and i'm able to connect
>
> Thanks

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

RE: Vpn error 789
Hello,

Thanks for your post.

I need to collect more information before going further. Please help answer
the following questions.

1. Did you configure the L2TP/IPSec connection by using pre-shared key or
certificate for authentication?

2. Did the issue also occur on other Vista machines?

3. If possible, to narrow down the issue, could you please try PPTP VPN on
the same Vista machine and check whether this works?

4. Please tell me the information of VPN server and provide the detailed
VPN settings on server side. (Please tell me detailed parameters of IPsec
settings )

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

RE: Vpn error 789
Hello,

Regarding your last email , I am just check and follow-up on your status.

I was wondering , if you were available to try conduct test and answer my
questions.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

cl07 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
error 789
I am experiencing the same problem (error 789) when trying to connect to a VPN server by L2TP/IPSec. I am using Vista Home Premium 32bit with SP1. I am using the default Vista VPN client, with default settings (except for L2TP/IPSec selection under "Network" and typed in the PSK)

1. I am using pre-shared key.
2. I am unsure whether this occurs on other vista based machines.
3. I am able to connect by PPTP, and I can ping the VPN server.
4. I am not sure of the exact vpn server setting.

I have tried the following to troubleshoot (and result):
1. Clean boot with all non-microsoft services turned off, no start-ups. [same error]

2. Uninstall Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and turn off windows firewall [same error]

Thank you

cl07 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
update
Update:

Seems like there is an internal problem(s), rather than a network problem.

1. at home (Comcast):
  • desktop [Vista Home Premium x64 SP1]:able to connect to the VPN server, either by PPTP or L2TP/IPSec. Kaspersky IS 2009 is on.
  • laptop [Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP1]: able to connect by PPTP, but NOT able to connect by L2TP/IPSec (Error 789)
2. at work
  • laptop (same as above): not able to connect by PPTP (firewall), NOT able to connect by L2TP/IPSec (Error 789)

cl07 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
problem resolved
Problem resolved.

For some reason, "IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules" and "IPsec Policy Agent" services were shut off.

I restarted those services and I am able to connect.
Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vpn error 789
Thank you for the update.

--
"cl07" <cl07.3f6yo9@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> Problem resolved.
>
> For some reason, "IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules" and "IPsec
> Policy Agent" services were shut off.
>
> I restarted those services and I am able to connect.
>

> --
> cl07

Marek Godlewski

Re: Vpn error 789
I have the same problem, except I am using certificates for authentication. I
have tried to restart both mentioned services. Everything worked fine before.
I am able to estabilish this L2TP/IPsec connection using Windows XP on the
other computer.

The MS IPsec Diagnostic Tool says:

WFPUtil Diagnosis:
Information: The log events indicate failed negotiation
Analysis Report: IKE/Authip Main Mode Failure
Error: 0x00003601, No policy configured.
Host machine is indicating error. The authentication method used is Unknown
Failed: IKE negotiation failed. SA could not be established
--1. Check if both machines have matching filter operations, Encryption
options
--2. Check if both machines have matching Unknown settings

Please Help!
Marek Godlewski